NFL 2009

livid

Fucking rookies. Why do any of them think they deserve a single dollar until they've done anything? I'm definitely in favour of a rookie cap, it won't sicken me to my stomach that these self-righteous pricks can command a shit-ton of money without proving themselves at the highest level, and teams might not be terrified of taking a top-five pick anymore.

I agree that a rookie salary cap would be a good idea (in all sports, not just pro football), but the problem is that the players peobably wouldn't agree to go with that unless the league made some sort of concession. Maybe setting up some sort of insurance or charity to take care of retired players who have fallen on hard times and have health problems, or something like that?

No, the players would probably agree to it since most of the veterans would end up getting a bigger pool of money to be used on their contracts as teams wouldn't have to use as much of their salary cap on contracts for the rookies.

No, the players would probably agree to it since most of the veterans would end up getting a bigger pool of money to be used on their contracts as teams wouldn't have to use as much of their salary cap on contracts for the rookies.

A lot of players have already been vocal about wanting it, but the CBA itself takes precedent currently.

And Players, GMs, Coaches, and Owners all agree on the central point vets should make more than rooks.

Raiders traded Derrick Burgess to the Pats for a 3rd and a 4th, which turns into a 5th if The Pats acquire one. Certainly a trade that's a lot more fair than the Moss trade, but it still looks like the Raiders going out of their way to ship their players out to the Pats. I will no be surprised if one of their three RBs ends up heading to the Pats within 2 years.

• Like 1

Another thing about Crabtree:

Skip Bayless and Stephen Bardo were talking about him during 1st and 10 on ESPN yesterday, and Skip pointed out that Crabtree probably has his agent, friends and other people in his ear hyping him up and making him think he's better and worth more than he his. Skip also said that he thought Crabtree was drafted a lot higher than he should have been: He was drafted #10, has people telling him he should be making top 5 money, and should have been a second rounder. (I actually see Skip's point, but I figured Crabtree for a mid-late first rounder at best, early second at worst, myself)

And I rarely ever agree with Skip on anything.

The run by that punter was fucking insane aha

Yep. I was dying laughing after they pulled that off.

(Apparently he was the "stunt punter", who they're going to use mostly for trick plays, if what I heard later in the game was right)

• Like 1

The run by that punter was fucking insane aha

Yep. I was dying laughing after they pulled that off.

(Apparently he was the "stunt punter", who they're going to use mostly for trick plays, if what I heard later in the game was right)

Kinda. What they said was Jeff Fisher has had that play drawn up since the 90s. But he's never had a rookie punter to attempt it with because he wasn't want to risk injuring the vet punter..or something

• Like 1

And as a 49ers fan, this pains me as I had high hopes for him coming to the team but he's just coming across as a primadonna now who thinks he should get paid more than he should when he hasn't even played a down in the NFL. I think he's super talented and could even be worth paying him top money but the way he's going about is just dumb.

Super talented? If I was you, I'd be happy. This frees you from paying a sure-fire bust top ten money. Nothing he did at Texas Tech translates to the NFL. The majority of his production came off catching passes close to the line of scrimmage with no defenders even close to him, then running untouched. He doesn't have overwhelming athletic ability. There is nothing special about him other than his stats which the Texas Tech offense inflated. And only his freshman stats were that great. His sophomore numbers were about what you would expect from a Texas Tech WR. They are all the same. Sing the King, Singletary, will coach that team up like he did at the end of the season and should get you anywhere from 7 wins to 10 IMO, with or without Crabtree.

Anyway, I'm going to be the first to call it - Crabtree is bluffing. Because he knows sitting out the season would be career suicide for him. We saw what sitting out a year did for Mike Williams... for Crabtree it will be even worse because he will plummet in the draft thanks to how loaded next year's class is with WR's, and the fact that I doubt anyone is going to want to take on his ego.

At this point it's unclear whether there's any truth to this rumor, but if there is truth, then I have no problem wishing failure upon Crabtree's career. Anyone who is willing to pull a stunt like that doesn't deserve anyone's goodwill.

Edited by Boltstrikes

You certainly aren't the first to call that he's bluffing, most people assume he is. Until they put a cap on rookie salaries, you'll never see a top 10 pick sit out the season because there's no way they'll ever get same amount of money if they do. It was some loudmouthed cousin that said it anyways, not his agent who's been quick to come out and dispel the rumor. If anything, this will probably get him signed faster so they can save face.

And as a 49ers fan, this pains me as I had high hopes for him coming to the team but he's just coming across as a primadonna now who thinks he should get paid more than he should when he hasn't even played a down in the NFL. I think he's super talented and could even be worth paying him top money but the way he's going about is just dumb.

Super talented?  If I was you, I'd be happy.  This frees you from paying a sure-fire bust top ten money.  Nothing he did at Texas Tech translates to the NFL. The majority of his production came off catching passes close to the line of scrimmage with no defenders even close to him, then running untouched. He doesn't have overwhelming athletic ability. There is nothing special about him other than his stats which the Texas Tech offense inflated. And only his freshman stats were that great. His sophomore numbers were about what you would expect from a Texas Tech WR. They are all the same.  Sing the King, Singletary, will coach that team up like he did at the end of the season and should get you anywhere from 7 wins to 10 IMO, with or without Crabtree.

Anyway, I'm going to be the first to call it - Crabtree is bluffing.  Because he knows sitting out the season would be career suicide for him. We saw what sitting out a year did for Mike Williams... for Crabtree it will be even worse because he will plummet in the draft thanks to how loaded next year's class is with WR's, and the fact that I doubt anyone is going to want to take on his ego. 

At this point it's unclear whether there's any truth to this rumor, but if there is truth, then I have no problem wishing failure upon Crabtree's career. Anyone who is willing to pull a stunt like that doesn't deserve anyone's goodwill.

Crabtree is talented, I don't know how you can say that he isn't, system or not. True, the guy doesn't wow you with measurables but neither does Anquan Boldin and he's one of the best WRs in the league. Crabtree clearly is not going to be a guy that will burn the secondary, but he has good hands (something that has absolutely nothing to do with what system he was in in college), he's tough to tackle and he runs pretty good routes, especially for somebody that came out of that system. If he were going to be in next year's draft would he be the first WR taken? Like I said earlier, I doubt it. Plus, judging by your post, you seem to have something against him in general so whatever.

Super talented?  If I was you, I'd be happy.  This frees you from paying a sure-fire bust top ten money.  Nothing he did at Texas Tech translates to the NFL. The majority of his production came off catching passes close to the line of scrimmage with no defenders even close to him, then running untouched. He doesn't have overwhelming athletic ability. There is nothing special about him other than his stats which the Texas Tech offense inflated. And only his freshman stats were that great. His sophomore numbers were about what you would expect from a Texas Tech WR. They are all the same.  Sing the King, Singletary, will coach that team up like he did at the end of the season and should get you anywhere from 7 wins to 10 IMO, with or without Crabtree.

Anyway, I'm going to be the first to call it - Crabtree is bluffing.  Because he knows sitting out the season would be career suicide for him. We saw what sitting out a year did for Mike Williams... for Crabtree it will be even worse because he will plummet in the draft thanks to how loaded next year's class is with WR's, and the fact that I doubt anyone is going to want to take on his ego. 

Crabtree is talented, I don't know how you can say that he isn't, system or not. True, the guy doesn't wow you with measurables but neither does Anquan Boldin and he's one of the best WRs in the league. Crabtree clearly is not going to be a guy that will burn the secondary, but he has good hands (something that has absolutely nothing to do with what system he was in in college), he's tough to tackle and he runs pretty good routes, especially for somebody that came out of that system. If he were going to be in next year's draft would he be the first WR taken? Like I said earlier, I doubt it. Plus, judging by your post, you seem to have something against him in general so whatever.

Not really, I actually like his arrogant swagger like I do with every player who is a bit cocky, ect. because it entertains me and NFL needs entertainment.  I just don't think he'll be anymore than maybe a possession receiver for a team.  Plus, don't you guys still have Josh Morgan (could be wrong last name, but eh)?  He is pretty good.

Yeah, it's Josh Morgan and he's becoming our go-to guy but that doesn't mean that losing time with Crabtree is a good thing. Morgan has played and will continue to play both WR positions (flanker and split end) so it's not like Crabtree would prevent Morgan from getting his reps as they could easily be on the field at the same time. When he comes into camp, he'll be the 3rd WR behind Morgan and Bruce but by the end of the season, I'm sure that Crabtree will supplant Bruce in the starting lineup.

And like I said in my previous post, Anquan Boldin is one of the best WRs in the league and he's a possession receiver. So was Keyshawn Johnson and he carved out a pretty good NFL career, as well. Not to mention that Cris Carter was hardly the fastest person on the field when he played, either. Not everybody has to and not everybody will be able to, burn past the secondary. There is a place for a possession receiver in the NFL.