NFL 2009

livid

Well of course neither of the North teams are really going to be back at the level they were at this past season. This is New England's last hurrah and barring another injury to Tom Terrific the conference is theirs to lose as far as, well anyone, is concerned.

I'm not even going to respond to that other point because Pittsburgh would be crying just as hard if things were the other way around.

Madden retiring is too surreal to me. Say what you want about his actual commentary, the guy's an institution, much like Al Michaels. And Michaels and Collinsworth won't capture the magic quite as well. Yes, CRIS COLLINSWORTH is the replacement.

Well of course neither of the North teams are really going to be back at the level they were at this past season. This is New England's last hurrah and barring another injury to Tom Terrific the conference is theirs to lose as far as, well anyone, is concerned.

I'm not even going to respond to that other point because Pittsburgh would be crying just as hard if things were the other way around.

I don't know, I think the Steelers will actually be better than they were last season. And it could be their last hurrah too if they don't get some of their soon-to-be free agents re-signed.

As for the Steelers complaining, don't be so sure about that.

So it appears that the Eagles have addressed the O-line, getting Jason Peters from the Bills and giving up the 28th pick to do it. If they can build a package with the 21st that nets them Boldin or Braylon, McNabb's gonna be looking like a kid on Christmas. If they can't get Beanie or Moreno at 21 as contingency plans for a Westbrook breakdown, you think they'll be burning up the phone lines? I would be.

I wouldn't risk a first rounder on Beanie Wells. Dude breaks down WAY too easy, especially if he's going to be you're pounder, which, compared to Westbrook, he is. I also doubt Moreno would be there.

This and then some. I still don't get how the "experts" are so high on Beanie Wells when he struggled to stay healthy in college. Yes, the games he actually played in, he was quite impressive, but is he going to be out for several weeks every time he gets hit?

AD's injuries in college were freak accidents, and the main reason people thought he'd get injured easily in the pros is because he runs upright, ala Eric Dickerson. Its not the same case at all for Wells.

I'm not saying Wells can't or won't be good/great. I'm just saying I wouldn't spend a first rounder on him.

Peterson also doesn't play in the NFC East and gets at least 9 games a year in a dome IIRC. There are times when the running game is all you can rely on in the Northeast at the end of the season and I don't like Beanie's chances at having a long fruitful career if he's supposed to be the big back in Philly.

Dome or not, it's a bit of a stretch because let's face it, the Vikings DO rely on the running game all the time anyways. Plus, while it allows him to be a little faster, a tackle is a tackle and being on actual ground helps more than being on turf. Turf allows him to be faster and in a controlled environment but the actual bringing to the ground will hurt more.

I think the only way Beanie can actually have success is if he's in a situation like Philly where he won't be counted on to be the every down back that requires having a heavy workload each game. If he's going to be banging between the tackles, that will be fine as long as he's not going to be counted on to do that 20-30 times a game like he would be on a team like Arizona.

I agree. If someone is drafting Beanie Wells to be an every down back they are going to be disappointed. However how many "every down backs" are there in the NFL? Maybe five? Everyone using a combo backfield, and if he goes to Philly, he won't even be the starting back. He will just be there to take the load off of Westbrook, and give them someone big in the red zone.

...I think he would make a nice combo in New Orleans too, for the Saints. Reggie Bush isn't a bust, but isn't anywhere near the "revolutionarly running back" ESPN built him up to be. In fact, he isn't even an every down back. While the Saints throw the ball first, Beanie Wells could be to them what Duece McAlister was the year before last with them.

A lot of rumors swirling that Aaron Curry is the Lions guy. His agents were at the mini-camp over the weekend. And now there are people saying Alex Lewis is changing his number from 52 to 59, 52 is Curry's number.

I don't know how I feel about this. Curry is a great player, probabaly the best this draft offers, but do we really want to spend the number one pick on a guy who we will have to move to a new position (OLB to ILB). With so many needs I don't know that this is the best option.

Julian Peterson and Ernie Sims are pretty good OLB's. I wouldn't say that's much of a need.

Here's my thing, I agree about taking the best guy, but...

Is Aaron Curry still the best player in the draft if he gets moved to MLB a spot he's never played? At OLB yeah he is the best player, but at MLB, I don't know. That's the only thing that makes me hesitant about liking this. Drafting a guy #1 overall and than moving him to a new position is risky.

Both Nick Barnett and DeMeco Ryans have made the transition with ease so as long as Curry hasn't hit his ceiling like some people think he has, then I wouldn't see why he wouldn't as he seems to be a bit better than they were coming out of college.

Biggz' Mock Draft of Failure

1. Detroit - Matthew Stafford, QB

2. St. Louis - Jason Smith, OT

3. Kansas City - Aaron Curry, LB

4. Seattle - Michael Crabtree, WR

This is where the draft falls apart. They have been looking hard at Crabtree for awhile, but there is also a small possibility they grab Sanchez to sit behind Hasselbeck. As I told TypicalPhenom yesterday, I would show interest in Sanchez to get a trade down and move down as next year is a QB rich draft. If I were Seattle at four I would take Eugene Monroe.

5. Cleveland - Brian Orakpo, LB

Best player in the draft. Period. However, if Seattle is smart and take Eugene Monroe - I can see them taking Crabtree here with the loss of Stallworth and soon Edwards. However, I am not high on Crabtree and think it would be smarter for them to take Orakpo here and then a WR like Hakeem Nicks late in the first with the Giants' pick.

6. Cincinnati - Eugene Monroe, OT

7. Oakland - Jeremy Maclin, WR

This is another wildcard. If not Maclin you can see Cable taking a defensive player perhaps, or more than likely Davis losing his mind (or what's left) and reaching for Heyward-Bey.

8. Jacksonville - Mark Sanchez, QB

I'm not sure if they would take him, but he isn't falling past eight. Someone will move up if he is still here. Jacksonville could also take him if they are unsure of their QB future.

9. Green Bay - B.J. Raji, DT

10. San Francisco - Aaron Maybin, OLB

I'd take Andre Smith here because of value, but character issues would be worrisome on this team.

11. Buffalo - Andre Smith, OT

Would things go perfect for Buffalo? In my mock draft they somehow do.

12. Denver - Tyson Jackson, DE

13. Washington - Michael Oher, OT

Another wildcard. Snyder could go offense and a sizeable name, but I'll pencil in Oher here. Could be a reach, not sure.

14. New Orleans - Malcom Jenkins, CB

15. Houston - Everette Brown, OLB

He'll be coming off the board in the middle of the round somewhere, and why not Houston. This pick will help make their defense strong and help Houston contend for the AFC South.

16. San Diego - Brian Cushing, LB

Not many holes.

17. New York Jets - Josh Freeman, QB

I think this is a reach, but they are high on him as others are. After Farve left QB became a key priority. They could potentially try to move up and draft Sanchez, but if they are at #17 Freeman could be the choice.

18. Denver - Robert Ayers, DE

Revamping the defense in the first round. Chances are they wouldn't pursue two DE's or they could convert one to LB. But this is my story and I'm sticking to it.

19. Tampa Bay - Michael Johnson, DE

Tampa could be targeting a DE and with Ayers now off the board they reach for Johnson who they have looked at. If Freeman falls past #17 look for Tampa to pounce.

20. Detroit - Peria Jerry, DT

With another first round pick they could add some talent on defense.

21. Philadelphia - Knowshon Moreno, RB

Virtual lock.

22. Minnesota - Percy Harvin, WR

Could go with Heyward-Bey here, but with Berrian they don't need him as badly. Percy gives them some flexibility elsewhere and has them trying to copy Hester. Needless to say they'll look for a WR in this position.

23. New England - Rey Maualuga, LB

If he's here, he's gone.

24. Atlanta - Brandon Pettigrew, TE

Another tough choice, but they could look to help facilitate Ryan with a TE they like.

25. Miami - Vonte Davis, CB

I doubt Parcells will target a WR here even with Heyward-Bey still available.

26. Baltimore - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR

Could target someone like Clay Matthews here, but with Flacco's big arm and no real deep threat this would make sense and be a good value at 26 considering Heyward-Bey could go as high as seven to Oakland.

27. Indianapolis - Clay Matthews, LB

Not many holes, but this is a solid pick and adds key depth.

28. Buffalo - Larry English, DE

29. New York Giants - Hakeem Nicks, WR

This will be a Cleveland pick and if they take Orakpo as they should it will still be Hakeem Nicks. Giants or Browns will take him here. If Cleveland pulls another stupid move by taking Crabtree (if available) then they lose out on many solid picks that they could have taken and then have to lose talent and value here with not many options.

30. Tennessee - Darius Butler, CB

31. Arizona - Chris Wells, RB

Lock is available.

32. Pittsburgh - Alex Mack, OG

They'll want an OL to move over to center, and Mack could be the pick although I really just placed him there because it reminded me of the Nick show. Max Unger could be the pick if not Mack.

What the Bears should do in the second round:

Chicago Bears - Pat White, QB

He's speed and toughness allows them to utilize the Wildcat formation with speed. Cutler, Hester, Forte, and White could be devestating in this formation as both Cutler and White can throw, and all three backs/recievers are quick. To me, while this won't happen, is one of the smartest picks they could do. It turns their team from a solid/good defensive team with poor offense - to a solid/good defensive team with solid offense (post-Cutler) - to an explosive offense with a solid/good defense. And that's a formula for getting the Super Bowl again if not winning it this time. And I'll throw this out there, if they take a reciever instead of White --- Let it be Brian Robiskie.

Here's my 1st Round mock...

1. Detroit Lions - Matthew Stafford - QB - Georgia.

Even though the Lions have a TON of holes, the new regime needs to make an immediate impact and draft their franchise QB. Stafford may not be a future hall of famer, but he's the best QB in this year's draft and he will be an immediate upgrade over what Detroit currently has there.

2. St. Louis Rams - Jason Smith - OT - Baylor.

Could be Eugene Monroe, but Smith's the better run blocker and Steve Spanuolo has gone on record to say that he wants to base the offense around RB Steven Jackson.

3. Kansas City Chiefs - Aaron Curry - LB - Wake Forest.

The Chiefs need to fix their defense badly. They can't afford to pass up the best defensive player in the draft.

4. Seattle Seahawks - Mark Sanchez - QB - USC

His stock is rising (why I don't know) and this pick would allow the Seahawks to let him sit behind Hasselbeck for a few years before Sanchez takes over.

5. Cleveland Browns - Michael Crabtree - WR - Texas Tech

They probably should go defense here but they desperately need a big-time weapon on offense.

6. Cincinnati Bengals - Eugene Monroe - OT - Virginia

7. Oakland Raiders - BJ Raji - DT - Boston College

8. Jacksonville Jaguars - Jeremy Maclin - WR - Mizzou

The Jagoffs have the worst WR corp in the NFL. They have to try to rectify that.

9. Green Bay Packers - Tyson Jackson - DE - LSU

They're moving to a 3-4 this year. Jackson is the best 3-4 DE in the draft. Makes total sense.

10. San Francisco 49ers - Brian Orakpo - DE/LB - Texas

11. Buffalo Bills - Michael Oher - T - Ole Miss

12. Denver Broncos - Everette Brown - LB - FSU

With Raji, and Tyson Jackson off the board Brown is the only pick that makes sense here. Under my scenario don't be surprised if they trade down.

13. Wash Redfaces - Aaron Maybin - LB - PSU

With Sanchez and Stafford off the board, the Skins go for the best pass rusher available.

14. New Orleans Saints - Vontae Davis - CB - Illinois

Their biggest need: CB. The best CB on the board: Vontae Davis

15. Houston Texans - Clay Matthews - LB - USC

The best of the 3 USC linebackers comes off the board first as the Texans try and shore up their defense. I could see them selecting a CB at this spot, but in the end I think Matthews' ability to play all 3 downs makes him a must-select.

16. San Diego Chargers - Andre Smith - OT - Alabama

I think Smith is going to be better at guard than tackle. But I think he will be a starter in this league for years to come. And that's hard to pass up at #16.

17. New York Jets - Knowshon Moreno - RB - Georgia

With the top 2 QBs off the board, the Jets turn to the other position of need where they can get a top flight talent in round 1 and take Moreno. This pick could also be a WR if Maclin or Crabtree were to fall, but they won't.

18. Denver Broncos - Rey Mauluga - LB - USC

The Broncos need to shore up their defense. I think Josh McDaniels thinks he can be competitive in the short-term with Kyle Orton. I'm sure he knows that in the long-term he won't win without solidifying that defense. McDaniels' system made Matt Cassel look great. He can take a QB like Rhett Bomar in later rounds and make him into a star.

19. Tampa Bay Buccanneers - Josh Freeman - QB - KSU

After trying desperately to trade with San Diego to take Freeman, the Bucs luck out and have Freeman fall into their laps. If Freeman is there they will NOT pass him up.

20. Detroit Lions - Eben Britton - OT - Arizona

QB of the future meet your LT of the future.

21. Philadelphia Eagles - Robert Ayers - DE - Tennessee

They need a left defensive end pretty badly. I think this pick is a no-brainer.

22. Minnesota Vikings - Darius Butler - CB - Connecticut

Arguably the best CB in the draft (I have Davis ranked higher though), Butler will definitely be the pick here if he's available.

23. New England Patriots - Brandon Pettigrew - TE - Oklahoma State

They need to get younger defensively, but with 3 picks in the 2nd round they can get a LOT of value. I think they go strictly best player available with this pick.

24. Atlanta Falcons - Malcolm Jenkins - CB/S - Ohio State

Having their hearts ripped out when their first choice Pettigrew gets selected one pick before them, the Falcons decide to select the best defensive player on their board.

25. Miami Dolphins - Alphonso Smith - CB - Wake Forest

Don't be shocked if Connor Barwin slips into this pick. But CB is a much bigger need for the Fish and Smith is the best of the bunch remaining at #25.

26. Baltimore Ravens - Percy Harvin - WR/RB - Florida

The Ravens need help at WR. Harvin's the best WR available and his versatility makes him the BPA at #26.

27. Indianapolis Colts - Peria Jerry - DT - Mississippi

Need pick. The Colts get lucky and get the best player available at their biggest position of need.

28. Buffalo Bills - Larry English - DE - Northern Illinois

Last in the league in sacks last season, the Bills need to get better if they want to compete. English is a monster pass rusher, and a great fit for the Bills.

29. New York Giants - Kenny Britt - WR - Rutgers

I was tempted to give them Chris Wells, but in the end I think they might perceive the lack of a big time WR to be a more important hole to fill than the vacancy left by Derrick Ward.

30. Tennessee Titans - Sean Smith - CB/S - Utah

Hard hitting safety that some have compared to Mel Blount. He's a prototypical safety that I would love to see the Steelers draft. But the Titans will take him off the board first.

31. Arizona Cardinals - Chris "Beanie" Wells - RB - Ohio State

Bye bye Edgerrin James.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers - Alex Mack - C - Cal

In my mind, this has been the only pick for some time now. I would not, however, object to selecting Jarron Gilbert at this spot either.

First picks for teams not selecting in the 1st Round...

2.49. Chicago Bears - Derrick Williams - WR - Penn State

If you're gonna trade for Jay Cutler you need to give him some weapons.

2.51. Dallas Cowboys - Louis Delmas - FS - Western Michigan

Ken Hamlin? Really?

2.59. Carolina Panthers - Ron Brace - DT - Boston College

Need pick, and a damn fine player falls into their lap.