Let's talk about Wii Fit

Sousa

Right, so I noticed today that I'm a fat piece of shit.

It's like this. I spend too much time on the Internet, too much time snacking while on the Internet, and--to cap it all off--I've been fired from a job in which I'm on my feet all day and now work on a job where I sit on my fat ass in front of a desk, a computer, and a phone. I've put on some inches since starting there, and I'm 95% sure I have sleep apnea like my dad did. My family has a history of high blood pressure, high cholestorel, heart disease, and diabetes.

tl;dr version: Sousa needs to drop some weight.

In addition to dieting, my wife and I have been looking into Wii Fit as an option, but I don't know anyone who has it. So if anyone could help me out here, please do.

First of all, is it effective?

Is it fun?

Is it worth the price?

And will it run on an CRT TV with no HD or digital hookup?

Keep in mind, we don't have a Wii at all, so we'd essentially be buying the system for Wii Fit (and, likely, other games like Smash Bros. and Mario Galaxy down the road, but not now). This is the sort of workout I'm inclined to take part in, so is it worth it? Or am I just going to smash the things to bits like I nearly did to the DDR machine where I used to work out?

Unlike you Sousa, I'm nice. I won't attack you, because you are my friend :)

Also, when I read this:

I've been fired from a job

I thought you meant your current job :shifty:

Edited by Ruki The Treasure Hunter

Well, I think Wii Fit would probably work as a way to manage your weight, but I heard that some people got offended because the board, that you stand on, says "ouch" or something like that when anyone gets on. Plus I heard that it just goes on a basis if you're overweight or not. So if you were to get muscular or whatever, then it's just going to say you're overweight. So, from what I heard, I would think this would be a decent way of keeping track of your weight and could help you out a bit.

I like Wii Fit. Like all exercise equipment, I've begun neglecting it, but it's a lot of fun and it was working for me. I'm just lazy, fat and would rather play Fallout 3 :crying:

But yeah, it'll work on any TV. The Wii has no HD support anyway.

Edited by Zero

Eh, it might be worthwhile if you have a Wii already, but otherwise I wouldn't bother. We get a load of them returned because they're faulty (I don't doubt that it's partly due to misuse, and partly due to our fucking delivery driver flinging the boxes ten feet from the van to our back door 'cause he's a lazy fuckhead), and as far as I can gather, the damn thing's just a glorified calorie counter and BMI calculator, and an inaccurate one at that.

Edited by Major Dragsy

Nintendo is still only selling this as a ballance skill game and not a trainingthingy i belive.

I was able to try it out a cupple of weeks back, meh... i´ed rather do stuff on my own, but if you need to spend the money to get motivation... go ahead, it´s not bad exercises, it´s jsut nothing you could not to without it.

Well, I think Wii Fit would probably work as a way to manage your weight, but I heard that some people got offended because the board, that you stand on, says "ouch" or something like that when anyone gets on.

Well, shit, obviously the guy who referred to himself as a fat piece of shit in the first post in the thread is deeply concerned about being offended. <_<

Well, I think Wii Fit would probably work as a way to manage your weight, but I heard that some people got offended because the board, that you stand on, says "ouch" or something like that when anyone gets on.

Well, shit, obviously the guy who referred to himself as a fat piece of shit in the first post in the thread is deeply concerned about being offended. <_<

>_< Got me.

It's like this. I spend too much time on the Internet, too much time snacking while on the Internet, and--to cap it all off--I've been fired from a job in which I'm on my feet all day and now work on a job where I sit on my fat ass in front of a desk, a computer, and a phone. I've put on some inches since starting there, and I'm 95% sure I have sleep apnea like my dad did. My family has a history of high blood pressure, high cholestorel, heart disease, and diabetes.

In addition to dieting, my wife and I have been looking into Wii Fit as an option, but I don't know anyone who has it. So if anyone could help me out here, please do.

First of all, is it effective?

Is it fun?

Is it worth the price?

And will it run on an CRT TV with no HD or digital hookup?

Keep in mind, we don't have a Wii at all, so we'd essentially be buying the system for Wii Fit (and, likely, other games like Smash Bros. and Mario Galaxy down the road, but not now). This is the sort of workout I'm inclined to take part in, so is it worth it? Or am I just going to smash the things to bits like I nearly did to the DDR machine where I used to work out?

1. I think it's can be if used regularly (which reminds me, I should actually start going on it again >_>)

2. Yep. The skiing stuff is a whole bunch of fun and there's just enough stuff to keep you occupied to change it up each time you used it in a 3 or 4 day rotation.

3. I don't know how much it cost as my mum actually bought it, not me.

4. No idea. Sorry.

Not sure about Wii fit. I'm sure that it's effective, it's just not that much fun so I got bored.

Wii sports on the other hand I find excellent, great fun and very addictive. I regularly get at least 30-60 minutes playing Tennis and doing the daily challenges and while it isn't targeted exercising it does get your heart pumping and lungs going so that on it's own is definately a good thing. I haven't lost a lot of weight on it but I am healthier and my BP has lowered considerably over the last few months sicne I bought it. That said I know some people just dont get into the Wii at all.

So yeah it might be worth just buying the Wii first (it comes with sports) and seeing how that goes for you before spending the other £90 on a board as well.

Dunno about anywhere else but in the UK £170 will get you the Wii+Sports+anoteher game and £80 the Wii fit+board.

First of all, is it effective? Not really, I suppose if you spent silly time on it you'd notice a difference but otherwise not really.

Is it fun? For a while, then once you've done all of the games you don't really want to do many of them again/realise they're pointless.

Is it worth the price? Not really, get a gym membership or just go jogging or something, far cheaper for greater effect but you'll probably give up a bit quicker (but even with Wii fit, I'd be surprised if you lasted 2 months)

And will it run on an CRT TV with no HD or digital hookup? I imagine so, HD doesn't matter as Wii doesn't support it.

Go for it Sousa, I'm about to start using this again after a spell of not being able to use it due to foot related injuries. It can be a lot of fun and you can get up quite a sweat if you do it for a long period of time. Plus you can improve your balance and posture, which is a bonus.