• Beth
    • Hard Luck Woman
    • Calling Dr. Love
    • I Was Made for Lovin' You
    • Rocket Ride
    • Shout It Out Loud
    • Love Gun
    • Christine Sixteen

So, BuddyAwesome wanted me to poll the populous of EWB and see whether or not we love KISS. As he posted, they are expecting a new album, so KISS fanatics are probably excited.

I'll be honest and say that I own Alive and really don't get the hype outside of KISS (except they were great at marketing themselves and put out an amazing live show). For that reason, I'm giving them a 4.

Ten, definitely. One of the greatest bands of all time.

Best album is Destroyer.

I struggled with best single. I wanted to go with Detroit Rock City, Love Gun or Beth, but I think Shout It Out Loud just about edges its way to number one in my heart.

Musically, fucking atrocious.

Live, with all the stadium shit they did, they were probably a decent gig to catch, but the actual music (minus Eric Singer) is, was, and always will be shit.

Except Detroit Rock City. Because Hammerfall covered it and it was cool. So therefore there must've been something good in the original, but whatever it was it wasn't Gene's vocals.

Yeah, yeah, ok, point made. :P

My point still stands though... Rock N Roll All Night is one of those songs you sing along to when drunk, and even whilst doing it, wonder "why the fuck?". The lyrics come from a Random Lyrics Generator (the same one ZP Theart uses, but with all the fantasy elements taken out, so you're just left with love songs), and yeah... from a musical standpoint, they're garbage.

Edit: Wow... Gene was the bassist? Learn something new every day. Also, not often in a rock band that the least well known member is the lead guitarist - I'd heard the name Ace Frehley, but wouldn't have associated him with KISS. Never heard of the current guy. Although I only know of Peter Criss through Family Guy, so he probably shouldn't count either :P.

I mean, I don't like KISS (you might've guessed), but I could name Paul Stanley (granted, I thought he played lead guitar), Gene Simmons (granted, I thought he was the vocalist), Peter Criss and Eric Singer (the latter via Avantasia).

Edited by Farmer Reil

I'm not going to mince words: I believe that Rock and Roll All Night is one of worst, most atrocious pieces of musical drivel ever written, let alone performed.

That said, I believe KISS owes most of their popularity to their gimmick than to their music. I'd rate them a 5.5, but since that wasn't an option, I voted 5.

Most of my favorite KISS songs have been done with someone other than Paul Stanley on lead vocals. Here's my top 10 favorite KISS songs, in alphabetical order:

Black Diamond

Beth

Calling Doctor Love

Deuce

God of Thunder

Hard Luck Woman

Hide Your Heart

Unholy

World Without Heroes

(And yes, that's only 9 songs, not 10. Which should tell you what I think of them when I can't even make a complete top 10)

Pete, thank you very kindly for this!

10 (Of course!), Destroyer, and Love Gun.

Any band with any kind of stage show has to attribute it to either KISS, or Alice Cooper (who KISS based their gimmicks off of). Their shows, second to none. Musically, I don't think and will never think that they're the best ever, but they are very seriously under-rated. While they are most known for stuff like "Rock And Roll All Night," their music from the 90's is really, really good. If the Revenge album from 92 or Unplugged album from 96 were options for best albums, one of those would have gotten my vote. Even Peter Criss' drumming in the 70's was very, very good. It's sad the guy can't play so good these days, but when I saw them on tour with Aerosmith in 2003 I believe it was, Peter was really lacking. Eric Singer (new drummer) has got to be making bank right now because he records and tours with both Alice Cooper and KISS!

KISS may very well be in the music business for the money, and they admit it. But, they also love playing for their fans. Too many bands say they're not in it for the money, but you know they wouldn't turn it down. I once saw Gene on Howard Stern and he said if any band truly was not in the business for the money, they could feel free to send their checks to him. Then about two years later he came again, was asked about that, and said he hasn't gotten one cent from anybody. Point proven. They may not be the greatest band of all time, but they are certainly my favorite, hands down!

7 - good, fun music. Long career.

Album: Rock'n'Roll Over. Underrated album. This one was a fun disc. To me, several hits on an album don't make it good.

As for singles, I went with Rock'n'Roll All Nite.

I think we all like to rock and roll all night, and part of every day.

i love the Role Models reference. Lol.

I rated them a 8. I like them, don't know alot of there songs by name, but when i hear them i know it's Kiss and usually enjoy them. Plus Gene Simmons is awesome. They are a great band, and i do have some on my iPod, and enjoy listening to them.

My favorite song by them is Love Gun.