Bands or Groups Of Artists?

Farmer Reil

Bands or Groups?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know the names/careers of individuals in bands?

• Not really. I don't even know what instrument Gene Simmons plays.
    • Only my favourite bands, I might know the lead singers/guitarists of bands I like, or that are popular.
    • Only if I really like them, or they've done solo work outside the band.
    • I generally know who's in most bands I like, but don't pay much attention to their side-projects.
    • Generally, if I like a band, I know the name of all their members, and usually their side-projects and former bands too

After the latest in a long line of gaffes, this time in the KISS thread, I've come upon the realisation that I barely know any drummers at all. Even in my favourite bands.

I find it's usually the drummer that's the anonymous. For example, I don't like Nickelback but can name the Kroeger brothers (admittedly I don't know the bassist's first name ¬_¬), Ryan Peake and... that there drummer guy. Even AC/DC, a band I do like, I only know them as Brian Johnson (/Bon Scott), Angus and Malcolm Young on guitar, Cliff Williams on bass and... the drummer. >.<

Thinking about it, I can barely name ANY drummers. :\ Edguy get a free pass, as their drummer is Felix Bohnke. Best. Drummer's name. Ever. I'd be able to pick the Helloween ex-drummer's name out of a list, his first name is Ingo and his surname starts with 'Schw', but that's it... This led to the realisation that I don't really pay attention to the individuals at all, I tend to see most bands as a band, rather than a collection of individuals. Even the ones I really like.

The exception tends to be lead singers (I know pretty much all the lead singers of the bands on my playlist), and I usually know guitarists if the band is guitar-oriented (e.g, Dragonforce, Malmsteen ¬_¬). I also tend to know most of the bassists due to playing bass (well, owning one)... which is ironic, given the circumstances that led to this post.

So I'm wondering is this the norm, or am I just really inattentive? Obviously you wouldn't know the names of artists in bands you don't even like that aren't that famous, but I'm talking about bands you hear about a lot, or bands you're a fan of. Are any of these familiar, for example? (this question is rhetorical)

Jeff Ament, Glen Matlock, Phil Campbell, Nate Mendel, Ben Goldwasser, Carl Dalemo, Adam Zindani, Dave Keuning...

Pearl Jam, Sex Pistols, Motorhead, Foo Fighters, MGMT, Razorlight, Stereophonics, The Killers

It just suddenly struck me as odd that I don't really pay attention to that side of the music. I love listening to the music, but I barely know who it is I'm listening to. Whereas I love watching rugby and football, and it'd be really weird if I suddenly realised I didn't know half the players... Maybe this comes down to the definition of 'fan'. As in, fanatic. Maybe I'm a 'fan' of rugby and football, and a 'fan' of Edguy, Firewind and Kiuas, but not a 'fan' of music in general, or even power metal in general... hmm.

Edited by Farmer Reil

Usually just my favorite bands, or bands that had some form of notoriety. I can tell you stuff like the Ramones, Sex Pistols, Stooges, MC5, and Dead Kennedys, but wouldn't begin to know the names of the people in bands like The Sonics, Blue Cheer (other than the front man), or the Pogues (barring Shane MacGowan).

It's tough to follow some people, Billy Childish for example. The guy has fucking numerous projects, it'd be tough to follow every musician he has ever recorded with.

As an experiment, I tried to name everybody in some of my favourite bands. The results weren't bad:

Metallica - Kirk Hammett, Lars Ulrich, James Hetfield (took me a surprisingly long time to properly remember)...and something Trujillo. I think Robert Trujillo.

Iron Maiden - Bruce Dickinson, Nicko McBrain, Steve Harris, Janick Gers, Adrian Smith. There's somebody else I cannot remember, he's another guitarist.

The Who - Keith Moon, Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, John Entwistle

Led Zeppelin - John Paul Jones, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Bonham

Muse - Matt, Dom and the other guy. Yeah

Rush - This is sadder because I not only know them, I know their real names in two cases and who the original drummer was. Geddy Lee (born Gary Weinrib), Alex Lifeson (Aleksander Zivojinovic) and Neil Peart are the current lineup.

C&C - I literally only know Claudio Sanchez.

As an experiment, I tried to name everybody in some of my favourite bands. The results weren't bad:

Metallica - Kirk Hammett, Lars Ulrich, James Hetfield (took me a surprisingly long time to properly remember)...and something Trujillo. I think Robert Trujillo.

Iron Maiden - Bruce Dickinson, Nicko McBrain, Steve Harris, Janick Gers, Adrian Smith. There's somebody else I cannot remember, he's another guitarist.

Rush - This is sadder because I not only know them, I know their real names in two cases and who the original drummer was. Geddy Lee (born Gary Weinrib), Alex Lifeson (Aleksander Zivojinovic) and Neil Peart are the current lineup.

Dave Murray, he was an original member. Janick came in when Adrian Smith left with Bruce. When Bruce and Ade came back, Janick stuck around for super awesome three-guitar attack force.

I tend to know most of the guys from my favourite bands, i.e. Coheed I know all the members (even if for ages I got Josh and Mike mixed up regarding which guitar they played), and Reuben. Others I know one or two of - Brand New I can only recall Jesse Lacey off-hand, Underoath I get mixed up with all the time, but I finally know that Aaron Gillespie is the drummer/vocalist as he's lead vocals in a side-project called The Almost. A lot of bands I'm aware of the names, but can't put them to faces, or can't always recall off-hand, but it's like you say, the more interested I am in the band, the more likely I am to recall the names of the individuals.

It all really depends from band to band. Like there's certain bands I LOVE but couldn't name a single person in them (eg. Strike Anywhere) yet I know everyone in Green Day and I hate them. :shifty:

I too will try the favourite bands this;

STRUNG OUT:

Jason Cruz (vocals)

Rob Rabos (guitar)

Jake Kiley (guitar)

Chrisn Aiken (bass)

Jordan Burns (drums)

Jim Cherry (RIP) (ex bass)

Adam...something, he's known as "Adam 12", which has something to do with their demo tune of the same name (ex drums)

Brad Morrison (ex drums...left because Jim Cherry kicked the shit out of him, because he was crap :shifty:)

JAMIROQUAI:

Jay Kay (vocals)

Stuart Zender (ex-bass)

...the black guy (drums)

...yeah, shit with that one, would have liked to have done better given how much I hate people her refer to Jamiroquai as a "him"...

DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE:

Ben Gibbard (guitar/vocals)

CHris Walla (guitar)

Jason McGerr (drums)

...can't remember the bassists name

THE WEAKERTHANS:

John K Samson (vocals/guitar)

Stephen Carroll (guitar)

Jason Tait (drums)

...again I can't remember the bassist.

Fuck it, I'm bored and can't be arsed to do anymore.

Dave Murray, he was an original member. Janick came in when Adrian Smith left with Bruce. When Bruce and Ade came back, Janick stuck around for super awesome three-guitar attack force.

That's probably why, Dave Murray is such an ordinary-sounding name and he's one of three guitarists. At least with Harris, he's the only bassist and the main songwriter.

Its usually the bassists name I don't know. For instance it took me forever to remember that Metallica's bassist was Rob Trujillo and to this day I can't remember ex-bassists Jason's name without looking it up. I'm a huge Foo Fighters fan but fuck knows what their bassist is called (Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Chris Shiftlet and... Nate[?] somebody or other). In fact, I can barely think of any bassists (other than ones who are also lead singers i.e. Phil Lynott)

I remember pretty much everyone who recorded with my favourite bands. Obviously I had trouble remembering everyone who played with Saxon at some point, but yeah, usually I know all the band members by name and appearance. I read a lot of autobiographies, band info and such. I guess when I'm not too familiar with a band, like I own only two or three of their albums, some band members' names may slip my mind (especially those who are either not regular members or don't front the band or don't do many interviews or don't take part in writing the songs). Also if I only like a certain 'era' of a bands' production, I may not be familiar with the lineups of their other albums. I don't think it's that much about playing any specific instrument.

Okay favourite bands method:

Babyshambles

Peter Doherty - Guitar and vocals

Drew McConnell - bass

Adam Ficek - drums I think...

dunno.

The Beatles

John Lennon - rhythm guitar

Paul McCartney - bass

George Harrison - lead guitar

Ringo Starr - drums

Pete Best - drums

Stuart Sutcliffe - bass I think

Brian Epstein - manager

Belle & Sebastian

Stuart Murdoch - vocals

Isobel Campbell - used to play cello

don't know the rest

Ben Folds Five

Ben Folds - piano and vocals

Darren Jessee - bass or drums

Robert Sledge - bass or drums

Bright Eyes

Conor Oberst - guitar and vocals

dunno.

Camera Obscura

dunno

The Cribs

Ryan Jarman - guitar and vocals

Gary Jarman - bass I think

Ross Jarman - drums I think

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

dunno. <_<

Death Cab For Cutie

Ben Gibbard - guitar and vocals

Chris Walla - guitar I think

dunno.

Frightened Rabbit

dunno.

Idlewild

Roddy Woomble - vocals

dunno.

The Libertines

Pete Doherty - guitar and vocals

Carl Barat - guitar and vocals

John Hassall - bass

Gary Powell - drums

Ryan Adams and the Cardinals

Ryan Adams <_<

dunno.

The Smiths

Morrissey - vocals

Johnny Marr - guitar

Andy Rourke - drums I think

Mike Joyce - bass I think

that other guy that did rhythm guitar at live shows

Steely Dan

Walter Becker

Donald Fagen

In Flames - Anders something or other, used to have a guy called Jesper Stromblad.....thats about it

Depeche Mode - Dave Gahan.........pass

The Smiths - Morrissey and Marr, thats all you need to know >_>

Emperor - Isahn......fuck, my brain isn't working today

Darkthrone - Fenriz and another guy, can't remember his name

AFI - Davey Havok...thats all

Foo Fighters - Dave Grohl, Tyler (Taylor?) Hawkins, or something like that, and the other guy

Just throwing a couple of bands out there from looking at my CD collection, and I think that suggests that no, I don't know people from bands I like.

I generally know the names or can pick them out of a list or something, but I don't really go out of my way to know them. If the characters interesting and stuff, then they get remembered by me. For example it's hard not to remember Brendan Kelly when he drunken faceplants into crash symbols.

I'm terrible about know people's names. I know a few people in my favorite bands and I can name a lot of the people in older bands, but I listen to so much different music and so many artists it would almost be impossible to remember all of them. Hell... I love cat power, but I can't remember what her name is.