The Drew Carey Show

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Guest Mr. Potato Head

A quick search revealed that EWB - at least EWB IV/V - has never had a thread on DCS, and since I've been rewatching it lately, I thought I'd see if there were any other fans around.

I won't deny that it got completely ridiculous in the last few seasons - basically everything after Kate left, Drew had a different girl every month (the southern belle, the bisexual, Nicky a few dozen times, etc.), gimmick episodes became the norm, and Winfred-Louder closed down. There were some highlights in the last season - I actually liked the bus driver character, and Mr. Wick as a weatherman was prety funny.

I'm only through Season 2 so far, but based on episodes I remember but haven't come across yet, I think it's just about to hit its peak. The first season was kind of meh as Lisa was so obviously the perfect girl for Drew that it just didn't fit with the 'classic' feel the series would develop later on. And there wasn't any Mr. Wick.

Lewis and Oswald are possibly the greatest secondary characters in any sitcom ever, and even Mimi doesn't bother me quite as much as she did when I watched it as a kid (or, you know, early teenager).

It's not the greatest sitcom of all time or anything, but it's more than serviceable and still holds up pretty well (season 2 of DCS feels newer to me than any Seinfeld at all, even though Seinfeld was on until DCS was at roughly season 4).

What does the rest of EWB think?

I only remember watching this when I was about 10/11 very rarely when I was lucky enough for my mum to be out aka not interfering with her soap opera schedule and what I remember from it was absolutely brilliant.

Maybe I'll look into "buying" some of them later on and have a new look at it, obviously understanding more of the jokes now I'm older and my English is about a million times better than it was when I was 10

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Thanks Ellis, that's another thing I didn't like about the show - the dance sequences. I'm not sure if the Cleveland Rocks intro was ever anything but an intro, but the Five O'Clock World intro was a four-minute-or-so dance sequence in one episode, and another one had a Rocky Horror Picture Show song for some reason.

I'm also going to guess that it's mostly Americans (or at least not Brits) who are familiar with thw show.

Use to watch reruns on peachtree don't really miss the show but if it was still on i'd probaly watch it

Agree with you here, I'd watch it if it was still on tv, but I would never really go on a hunt for the seasons. It was a good show though no doubt!

I catch reruns on Foxtel here in Australia... Used to watch it all the time when it was first on normal TV but a couple episodes were delayed due to cricket being on and then it seemed as though it was only on at 2AM after that.

Great, great show. I agree that Lewis and Oswald could be the best secondary characters ever. I love the moment when Drew calls them and they are out "shopping" at Drew's house. When Oswald picks up the cereal and Lewis says, "That's full of sugar you put that right back!" or something similar and Oswald's pout.

This used to be on the television all the time during the "computer in the living room, watch whatever everyone else is" periods of my young teenage life. As such I believe I saw every episode of the show and it wasn't that bad, it was actually pretty good.. but I'll agree that once Kate left everything started to slide downhill. They had a thing for doing long, drawn out and connected storylines though. I thought that was kind of cool. Wesley.

Edited by Mr. Butlersham

The time where "Five O'Clock World" was a long dance sequence was when it became the new entrance theme, replacing "Moon Over Parma". Sure, it was after a sequence where everybody turned in to an alien, and Drew woke up and WAS an alien.

It was a decent show, but it really got in to its groove in Season 2. Later on, when stuff became gimmicky, it was fun to watch, but not "must-see television".

Fun fact: I used to think it was all the little chicks with the crims and lips, and I would always wonder what the fuck a crim is.

Great show, but one that I'm a little leery of going back to: I remember it was 3 camera and had a laugh track, and shows like that bore me to death when I try to go back and watch them. I agree that Lewis, Oswald and Mr. Wick made one of the greatest supporting casts ever (but were way too low-brow to compete with Frasier, Seinfeld, or even Friends [blargh]). For me the show stands up because it was always willing to take risks like the live improv shows or the April Fools' episodes (hey! That's today!) or the "Emmy" episode. It was a great show, but it got sadder and sadder as the cast visibly started aging and the premise started changing every month.

The show always felt different to me since I'm from Cleveland. We never really knew who Drew was so when suddenly this new show came on that had this cartoon singing about cities I actually heard of and been too ( instead of every other show featuring New York/LA landmarks and such ) it blew us away. As big as the show got at one time, it always felt different to me since it was all local.

I still drive by the Warsaw building at times, and when I can find it I actually have been to the actual house used in the shoe. It was always a good show overall, except for the last season where I would always watch and just ask myself why he felt the need to continue the show.

They been showing it on Ion in the states, and I find myself laughing my ass off. It to me may end up as one of the best sictoms for me. I like lowbrow humor maybe, I may have to go hunt for DVD's or episodes by some mean. I watched it when I was younger and thought it was good, but I think I appreceate it much more today then I did then.