Legend of Zelda: The Movie?

Boulder

Reported in Variety hitting stands today, we can confirm that Paramount Pictures is indeed in the earliest stages of development for a film based on the hit video game series "The Legend of Zelda." The story of the games revolves around a young peasant, Link, who becomes a knight to rescue the titular Princess Zelda from the evil Ganondorf, Prince of Thieves. Despite studios' lack of success in producing profitable video game adaptations, Paramount remains convinced that taking a "Lord of the Rings" style approach to this franchise will generate a revenue stream worthy of the venture. An executive with the company, who asked to remain anonymous, was quoted as saying "It's been a few years since we've seen a truly successful big, sprawling epic. I think that the time is right for another fantasy adventure, and what better place to start than with one of the most famous and beloved video game franchises of all time?"

Indeed, "The Legend of Zelda" is worthy of such high praise; the series has sparked over a dozen games which have sold over 52 millions copies worldwide. In a poll conducted by Video Gamers' Network, the heroic Link was found to be the third-most recognizable video game character of all time, trailing only Pac-Man and Super Mario. Though the series was launched in 1986, the most recent major release, Twilight Princess, took home a slew of awards in 2006 and was one more reason the Nintendo Wii system was so highly coveted.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of this story is the casting news. Variety reports that Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly have verbally agreed to play Link and Zelda, respectively, with Jeremy Irons in negotiation for the role of Ganon/Ganondorf. Though no director is attached yet, filming is hoped to begin this fall.

-movienewstouse.com

My knee jerk reaction is to be unimpressed, but the more I think about it, the more I want to like it. I love the series, and A Link to the Past is possibly my all-time favorite game. I'm skeptical, but if they're really going all out, who knows?

Reported in Variety hitting stands today, we can confirm that Paramount Pictures is indeed in the earliest stages of development for a film based on the hit video game series "The Legend of Zelda." The story of the games revolves around a young peasant, Link, who becomes a knight to rescue the titular Princess Zelda from the evil Ganondorf, Prince of Thieves. Despite studios' lack of success in producing profitable video game adaptations, Paramount remains convinced that taking a "Lord of the Rings" style approach to this franchise will generate a revenue stream worthy of the venture. An executive with the company, who asked to remain anonymous, was quoted as saying "It's been a few years since we've seen a truly successful big, sprawling epic. I think that the time is right for another fantasy adventure, and what better place to start than with one of the most famous and beloved video game franchises of all time?"

Indeed, "The Legend of Zelda" is worthy of such high praise; the series has sparked over a dozen games which have sold over 52 millions copies worldwide. In a poll conducted by Video Gamers' Network, the heroic Link was found to be the third-most recognizable video game character of all time, trailing only Pac-Man and Super Mario. Though the series was launched in 1986, the most recent major release, Twilight Princess, took home a slew of awards in 2006 and was one more reason the Nintendo Wii system was so highly coveted.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of this story is the casting news. Variety reports that Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly have verbally agreed to play Link and Zelda, respectively, with Jeremy Irons in negotiation for the role of Ganon/Ganondorf. Though no director is attached yet, filming is hoped to begin this fall.

-movienewstouse.com

My knee jerk reaction is to be unimpressed, but the more I think about it, the more I want to like it. I love the series, and A Link to the Past is possibly my all-time favorite game. I'm skeptical, but if they're really going all out, who knows?

Look at the date Boulder, or the link, if this isn't your own April Fool.

Edited by Benji

Yea, last year IGN made a fake trailer for a Zelda movie for april fools day. Was a quality trailer thoughq

thats it

Fake or not, I've always thought a trillogy based on Ocarina of Time could be amazing. If they go down the Lord of the Rings route and make an epic ongoing series of linked films, then it could make a fortune, but they;d have to make the quality consistant with LOTR

I doubt it would ever happen, I'm sure Nintendo said they;d never let a Zelda film happen

God that cartoon sucked ass. I have a DVD of it because I had briefly forgotten about it. Watched it once and all those bad memories flooded back.."Well excuuuuuuuuse me Princess!"

God that cartoon sucked ass. I have a DVD of it because I had briefly forgotten about it. Watched it once and all those bad memories flooded back.."Well excuuuuuuuuse me Princess!"

I don't care what kind of movie a Zelda game would make, but if Link didn't say that line in some fashion I'd be pissed.