2009 MLB Season

sahyder1

BJ Ryan's line today - 0.2 IP, 3 ER, 2 H, 3 BB, 32 Pitches (15 strikes)

After the blown save on Monday, the ice is starting to grow thin under BJ's spot as the Jays closer. I like the guy, and I thought there was much ado about nothing regarding his performances last year as I thought he was quite good. But his velocity is down 4 MPH from last year and a full 6 since before he required Tommy John surgery in 2007. I think they need to at least temporarily hand the closer's gig to either Scott Downs or Brandon League and let Ryan spend time with Brad Arnsberg trying to lock down his release point. He's getting hammered up high, and he's missing horribly down low.

That being said, Lee may have taken Cy Young last year, but Doc bitchslapped him head-to-head today. Lee had trouble getting ahead in counts and the Jays got some timely hitting to drive him from the game after giving up 4 earned runs in 5 innings (while throwing 102 pitches). Doc meanwhile had little trouble cruising through 7 and giving up just 5 hits and 1 run while striking out 7. I feel Lee is the ultimate regression candidate this year, but it was nice to see Doc go comfortably through 7 and 110 pitches without burning out like he did the first go-round. With the win the Jays have already clinched a better record against the Tribe than they had in 2008 (1-6 last year).

BJ Ryan's line today - 0.2 IP, 3 ER, 2 H, 3 BB, 32 Pitches (15 strikes)

After the blown save on Monday, the ice is starting to grow thin under BJ's spot as the Jays closer. I like the guy, and I thought there was much ado about nothing regarding his performances last year as I thought he was quite good. But his velocity is down 4 MPH from last year and a full 6 since before he required Tommy John surgery in 2007. I think they need to at least temporarily hand the closer's gig to either Scott Downs or Brandon League and let Ryan spend time with Brad Arnsberg trying to lock down his release point. He's getting hammered up high, and he's missing horribly down low.

That being said, Lee may have taken Cy Young last year, but Doc bitchslapped him head-to-head today. Lee had trouble getting ahead in counts and the Jays got some timely hitting to drive him from the game after giving up 4 earned runs in 5 innings (while throwing 102 pitches). Doc meanwhile had little trouble cruising through 7 and giving up just 5 hits and 1 run while striking out 7. I feel Lee is the ultimate regression candidate this year, but it was nice to see Doc go comfortably through 7 and 110 pitches without burning out like he did the first go-round. With the win the Jays have already clinched a better record against the Tribe than they had in 2008 (1-6 last year).

I am with you. Ryan has a lot to fix. I don't think he is injured, he just needs to rework his delivery. We have a strong bullpen that as a group can make up for his absence if he needs to take time off to fix himself. League, Downs and Frasor can all do closers work.

Admittedly, I've only seen bits and pieces of the games so far... but a 5-1 start to the season, and the way some of these guys are hitting... it's looking pretty optimistic this season.

I think that the Jays need to try and move Ryan while they can still get something in return... that is, if they still can. They're clearly going with the youth movement anyways, and there's 3 or 4 guys in the bullpen who could rise up and fight for the closer's job.

Admittedly, I've only seen bits and pieces of the games so far... but a 5-1 start to the season, and the way some of these guys are hitting... it's looking pretty optimistic this season.

I think that the Jays need to try and move Ryan while they can still get something in return... that is, if they still can. They're clearly going with the youth movement anyways, and there's 3 or 4 guys in the bullpen who could rise up and fight for the closer's job.

Every other team is seeing what we are seeing out of Ryan. He did this in Spring Training and he hasn't managed to work it out yet. No team is going to take him and his contract unless he proves he can improve. He was solid last year and when we got him he was excellent. Right now, no team is going to grab him from us. All the teams who spend huge already have closers. Everyone else can't afford him, especially now that he isnt performing.

Watching him last season, sometimes was pretty scary. I never knew if I was going to see the BJ Ryan who comes in, throws a handful of pitches and saves the game... or the BJ Ryan who comes in, pitches like he's a minor leaguer and gets jacked.

There were times when I felt that, if that's what we were going to get out of our closer, we might as well have given the job officially to Jeremy Accardo. At least he was cheaper, younger, and had more room for potential growth.

I like BJ Ryan, I really do. When he's on, he's fantastic. It's beautiful, and it takes me from six to midnight. I'm not sure if he just never fully recovered, or if the surgery has completely fucked with his game. No one comes back from Tommy John's and throws the same way again... and that worries me. He can adjust, but he needs to take the time to work at it. It seems like, whenever he's healthy, he's playing... but he really should just be working on getting his game back to where it should be.

The problem with BJ is his unorthodox delivery. It was his greatest strength in the first half of his career, but it also likely caused the injury that required TJS and he hasn't been the same since. I don't know if the delivery is causing him discomfort or if he's just having to really torque his elbow to pick up the extra velocity, but he really isn't locating pitches with any kind of consistency. I'd like to see what Arnsberg can do with him first, but if he can't fix it what he really needs is to be retooled ala Halladay in 2000. They'd need to rethink his delivery and find a way to locate well enough that he doesn't have to go back to the smoke and mirrors that got him into this trouble in the first place. What he has in his favour are a combination of physical gifts and mental toughness. One might question whether it's all a bit futile with a 33 year old reliever, but futile or not we're on the hook for another year at 9 million dollars, so we may has well make a go of it.

As for a trade, the only team we might have been able to move him to and get some kind of return would have been the Mets in that brief period in the off-season where they needed a closer. Of course they then went out and signed K-Rod and JJ Putz, making that more or less a moot point.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

We send BJ to Las Vegas or wherever Mel Queen's working out of these days, bring up Accardo, and bring back BJ just long enough to prove he's got his groove back before shipping him off.

We send BJ to Las Vegas or wherever Mel Queen's working out of these days, bring up Accardo, and bring back BJ just long enough to prove he's got his groove back before shipping him off.

BJ might not even have any minor league options.

Phillies TV man Kalas dies at 73

ESPN.com news services

WASHINGTON -- Longtime Philadelphia Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas has died at the age of 73, team president David Montgomery said Monday.

Kalas

Kalas

Kalas, who had also filled a voiceover role for NFL Films since 1975, was taken to a hospital Monday after passing out in the broadcast booth before Monday's game against the Washington Nationals.

Montogomery's voice was cracking as he said "we have lost our voice."

The 73-year-old Kalas, known for his distinctive "Outta here!" call on home runs, was found by the Phillies director of broadcasting at about 12:30 p.m., Montgomery said.

Kalas joined the Phillies in 1971. Before that, he was an original member of the Houston Astros' broadcast team from 1965-70.

In 2002, he received the Baseball Hall of Fame's Ford C. Frick Award for his contributions to the game.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Didn't know him much as a baseball announcer, I knew him more as the guy behind NFL Films. He had a great voice, and will be missed.

as a philly native and fan i can honestly say he will be dearly missed. i can't imagine listening or watching a phillies game and not hearing harry. looks like he's joining his long time announce partner richie ashburn and is calling games for God now.

atleast he got to say "the philadelphia phillies are world champions of baseball!" before he died

Edited by Lint6

I was in 500 when I visited Toronto two summers ago (saw Frank Thomas hit 2 HR's!) and I thought the seats were pretty good. I've been spoiled with Camden Yards my whole life, but the view I had was good and I could see the whole field. I also saw a game the next afternoon, well like an inning, when I went up the CN Tower. Needless to say the view there was terrible.

New Yankee Stadium opens today. Looking forward to the pregame stuff at noon. As much as I hate the Yankees they do these kind of things the right way. Of course a bad start from "Cheese Burger. Cheese Burger" Sabathia (Steve Somers of WFAN Radio created that nickname) will be a great icing on the cake but I hate the Indians just as much as I hate the Yankees.

I actually hope Sabathia does good whenever he starts (then the reliever comes in and gives up 12 runs), but only because he's on my fantasy baseball team. Indians beat the Yankees bad ( :w00t: ), but fortunately his ERA wasn't too bad.

Ichiro hit le slam grande last night.....and I still had him on my DL. Ouch.

Edited by GhostMachine