Music To Wake Up To

Benji

So I'm sure most people here use alarms to wake themselves up in the morning, whether it be an annoying genuine alarm, a TV alarm, or a music alarm, my interest is in the latter - what music/songs/artists seem to wake you up the best?

I used to find energetic music got me up the best, making me shoot up and forcing me to acknowledge the world, but these days I prefer a lie in, so I set a 'light song' alarm, stuff like anything by Jack Johnson, but this morning I accidentally let a few light RHCP songs be last on my playlist and forgot to turn off the alarm and it woke me up and it worked in the exact same way, if not better (though that may be the fact I'm waking up to a day that doesn't make me want to crawl back into bed - Bank Holiday), followed by an actual alarm to force me into realising I should be up by now.

For Hip-Hop heads, try the "Good Morning Mixtape"

http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2009/...morning-mixtape

Your Favorite White Boy, Nappy Afro and Kevin Nottingham have cooked up a great concept mixtape to get you moving on this Monday morning. As you can see from the tracklist, we mixed it up: we’ve got some classic joints from Run DMC, Ice Cube and Brand Nubian, plus some new tracks from the young cats in the game like Skyzoo and 88 Keys.

does the job on one of those "I really have to get up" days. Especially because sometimes I set it so loud that the beeping at the start wakes me up, and I just have time to think "oh shit" before I'm assaulted by a wall of noise.

For regular days though, I have a playlist of Korpiklaani's instrumental or nearly-intrumental songs.

Now that its the summer, I usually wake up to something by Incubus, 311 or Sublime. I like music that makes me think of summertime and most of those will do that immediately, I dunno why.

As my phone only plays a minute of a song at every ten minutes, and the fact that I always find it hard to get up, i use the same principle for my listenings on the bus/train: Hard, Loud, Fast. I need to change the song everyday too because then it'll be too 'normal' to me.

So typically I rotate the following:

Seek & Destroy - Metallica

Sad But True - Metallica

Master of Puppets - Metallica

Fuel - Metallica

For Whom the Bell Tolls - Metallica

Epic - Faith No More

Outshined - Soundgarden

Rusty Cage - Soundgarden (the part where it kicks back in about 2 and a half mins in)

Break Stuff - Limp Bizkit

Take the Power Back (without intro) - RATM

Sound of Madness - Shinedown

Fly from the Inside - Shinedown

So yeah, one of those with the added rumble of the alarm going through the wood of my shelf.

I have the intro the Meshuggah's Combustion, from their newest album ObZen. It works pretty well, at least it always gets me up in the morning. If anyone is interested, here it is. It is about the first 50 seconds; I ripped the CD and cut up the track using GoldWave. Yeah, it was pretty technical process just for a simple alarm clock sound. <_<