NHL '10/2k10

Mr. X

Be A GM mode sounds awesome, what dynasty mode should have been all along.

I was reading EA's inside blog on the game last week and the latest update mentioned how they've really worked on making the goalies 'perfect' so that they can scale their ability back to let goals in so there will be very few if any glitch/exploit/money goals. They brought some EASHL players in from the Vancouver area to test it and none of the 09 exploits worked which is fantastic.

Edited by AD

Maybe I'll be able to score a goal this time! Because honestly, it got boring when all games were 2-1 or 1-0.

But yes, Be a GM mode. I love the sound of it, it sounds how the next EHM game should be. I wish they would make one :(

Be A GM mode sounds awesome, what dynasty mode should have been all along.

I was reading EA's inside blog on the game last week and the latest update mentioned how they've really worked on making the goalies 'perfect' so that they can scale their ability back to let goals in so there will be very few if any glitch/exploit/money goals. They brought some EASHL players in from the Vancouver area to test it and none of the 09 exploits worked which is fantastic.

The thing that I hate about the exploit goals isn't so much that they're there... because I really only play Dynasty... but that the goalies never seemed to allow routine shots to go in, or really be out of position for anything unless I exploited an issue with the goaltending AI... so it almost forces you to use the exploit goals. So if they've improved goalie AI to not just be smart, but also to be more realistic in terms of letting in the odd wrist shot from the top of the circle, or what have you, then I'll be happy.

Mostly I'm just excited about all the new additions to Be a GM/Dynasty. It's a big step forward from what we've had in previous years.

Something that I'm wondering though, is why would anyone want to start a GM game at the Prospects Game and Draft, if none of the players included are real life rookies coming in?

Maybe I'll be able to score a goal this time! Because honestly, it got boring when all games were 2-1 or 1-0.

We're winning a lot more games on EASHL now and scoring more goals, won a fair few 5-4s and 6-5s. Our best was an 8-0 thrashing of some team though, I got 5 and Dragsy got the other 3. We obviously try and score legit goals, which we get a fair few of, especially slap shots and we're getting more deflections now. If teams start to exploit against us we just do it right back to them, although when we have two human defensemen it's always difficult stopping the one-timer. We've done much better on that recently when we've had Dragsy and/or Mr X in defense.

All of your interactions with other teams are via Blackberry (and they actually have the rights to Blackberry, so a real blackberry pops up on your screen.)

I suggested this EXACT feature on the Operation Sports Forums like six months ago. o_O

Anyways, Be A GM mode (aside from the stupid name) sounds like a HUGE step forward from last year. NHL 09's Dynasty mode played like something from ten years ago. Now EA just need to build on the new foundation they've created by adding in RFA/UFA status, in depth contract negotiations, etc. This year sounds like a great start.

Happy as hell that the fantasy draft is back too. I always like playing with that feature.

2K are seriously starting to loose me with their hockey games. They peaked with 2k8...and now EA seem to be taking the reins.

Edited by Drifter_2000

The return of the Fantasy Draft will be nice for one reason for me... and that is that I hate waiting until a roster patch is released with all the rookies, to start my dynasty... so now, I can start one right away with a fantasy draft, while I wait.

I think I'm going to have a hard time picking between EASHL or Be A GM. I don't really even need to hear about the additions to EASHL to say I'm going to pick this up. Also just realized it is being released on my birthday, so I expect a few people to play with me and sing to me :shifty: .

Gamespot has a video up where David Littman runs you through the Be-A-GM mode.

The most important new piece of information though: You can edit the names and attributes of the 40 players that take part in the Prospects Game each year.

Which means that, when the game comes out, you can create the top 24 forwards, 12 defenseman and 4 goalies from the 2009 Draft, and see where they all end up with the game drafting them. Tavares or Hedman to the Islanders? So exciting.

Double Posting because I can.

For anyone interested... the top 24 forwards, 12 defensemen and 4 goalies from this year's draft are below.

Note, this list is assuming that none of these guys are already in the game, and that the Prospects Game we get to play can include nationalities other than Canadian and American. Littman wasn't overly clear about that in the video. He said something about National Junior Teams and whatnot, but he didn't elaborate or anything.

Forwards:

John Tavares (CAN)

Matt Duchene (CAN)

Evander Kane (CAN)

Brayden Schenn (CAN)

Nazem Kadri (CAN)

Scott Glennie (CAN)

Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (SWE)

Zack Kassian (CAN)

Peter Holland (CAN)

Louis Leblanc (CAN)

Chris Kreider (USA)

Jacob Josefson (SWE)

Jordan Schroeder (USA)

Marcus Johansson (SWE)

Jordan Caron (CAN)

Kyle Palmieri (USA)

Phillipe Paradis (CAN)

Carter Ashton (CAN)

Landon Ferraro (CAN)

Ryan O'Reilly (CAN)

Carl Klingberg (SWE)

Kyle Clifford (CAN)

Chris Brown (USA)

Alex Chiasson (CAN)

Defensemen:

Victor Hedman (SWE)

Oliver Ekman-Larsson (SWE)

Jared Cowan (CAN)

Ryan Ellis (CAN)

Calvin de Haan (CAN)

Dmitri Kulikov (RUS)

Nick Leddy (USA)

David Rundblad (SWE)

John Moore (USA)

Tim Erixon (SWE)

Dylan Olsen (CAN)

Simon Despres (CAN)

Goaltenders:

Mikko Koskinen (FIN)

Robin Lehner (SWE)

Anders Nilsson (SWE)

Igor Bobkov (RUS)

Yeah, none of those guys have played a game in the NHL yet, they're not gonna be in the game, at least not when it's first released. First roster update and you'll see a good chunk of them.

And dear fuck, does Be a GM mode seem fucking awesome. I've got a friend who's bitching about RFAs, but that's really the only criticism I can think of. EA may still be able to squeak it in, and even if they don't, it's not going to kill the game for me. Buying out players is pretty damned rad, though.

Some of the European players may be in the game with their club teams. Which is an issue I have with the game. When you start a dynasty in 09, all the European and Russian league players get dumped into free agency, which completely throws off the dynamic when all the other teams start signing them to contracts.

Something's gotta be done to fix that. Either remove them completely from dynasty, or spread them out over a 10 year period. The oldest 10% hit free agency at the start of dynasty... then at the end of the season, the next 10% get dumped in, and so forth.... but having them all show up at once ruins the dynamic.

Anyways... the Prospects Game will be North America Vs The World... so I fixed the rosters based on the top draft picks from this June.

North America

F John Tavares

F Matt Duchene

F Evander Kane

F Brayden Schenn

F Nazem Kadri

F Scott Glennie

F Zack Kassian

F Peter Holland

F Louis Leblanc

F Chris Kreider

F Jordan Schroeder

F Jordan Caron

D Jared Cowan

D Ryan Ellis

D Calvin de Haan

D Nick Leddy

D John Moore

D Dylan Olsen

G Matthew Hackett

G Adam Morrison

The World

F Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson

F Jacob Josefson

F Marcus Johansson

F Carl Klingberg

F Jacob Silfverberg

F Anton Lander

F Richard Panik

F Anton Rodin

F Tomas Tatar

F Joonas Nattinen

F Andrej Nestrasil

F Sergei Andronov

D Victor Hedman

D Oliver Ekman-Larsson

D Dmitri Kulikov

D David Rundblad

D Tim Erixon

D Dmitri Orlov

G Mikko Koskinen

G Robin Lehner

Notables:

G Olivier Roy (CAN) Patrick-Son, God of Thunder.

G Jaroslav Janus (SLO) You may remember from the World Juniors. Slovak goalie who single-handedly made his team competitive.

F Eric Wellwood (CAN) Brother of Chunks Wellwood.

D Viktor Ekbom (SWE) Pierre McGuire loves this guy.

F Landon Ferraro (CAN) Son of Ray.