Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

Robbie makes his dream move to Celtic i thought his dream was liverpool oh wait it was till it turned into a nightmare sorry robbie must suck to have to go to places like kilmarnock and lose though. Robbie's has never been that wise with his transfers though has he? Inter Milan anyone

:@ places like Kilmarnock?

also I love Jonathan Pearce now:

""Birmingham stood still and as scared as a class of first formers at Hogwarts School looking in to the face of Lord Voldemort himself.""

To be fair I think a vast majority of Irish football fans also support or in some way pay attention to Celtic. It's kinda part of being a fan of the sport over here. Unless your my grandaunt who supports Rangers (which in general is a no-no, I remember hearing of a guy who got offered trails with Rangers and was told by his friends he could go but not to come back). its a whole religious/nationalist thing.

Although I was younger I paid far more attention to Cetlic than I do now. Since I'm neither religious or nationalistic :shifty:

So if Portsmouth go under and the results are made null and void:

-Arsenal who have beaten them twice, will be stripped of 6 points.

-Chelsea who have beaten them once, will be stripped of 3 points.

-Manchester United who have beaten them once, will be stripped of 3 points.

Yet

-Liverpool who actually lost to Portsmouth will have their points tally stay as is.

That doesn't seem right, Liverpool would in a way be being rewarded for losing to the near dead team?huh.gif

I hope I'm misunderstanding this.

So if Portsmouth go under and the results are made null and void:

-Arsenal who have beaten them twice, will be stripped of 6 points.

-Chelsea who have beaten them once, will be stripped of 3 points.

-Manchester United who have beaten them once, will be stripped of 3 points.

Yet

-Liverpool who actually lost to Portsmouth will have their points tally stay as is.

That doesn't seem right, Liverpool would in a way be being rewarded for losing to the near dead team?huh.gif

I hope I'm misunderstanding this.

You're not, that's what will happen.

Not that it matters. It's 3 points, not new owners and a cure for hamstring injuries.

Current top 8

Chelsea: 55

Man Utd: 53

Arsenal: 49

Tottenham: 42

Liverpool: 41

Man City: 41

Villa: 40

Brum: 34

Modified top 8

Chelsea: 52

Man Utd: 50

Arsenal: 43

Liverpool: 41

Tottenham: 39

Man City: 35

Villa: 34

Brum: 31

The only winner I see from that is Liverpool who go from one point behind from Spurs to two points ahead of them.

Edited by The General

Chelsea have had their transfer ban lifted for good. I'm guessing they were pretty confident it would be overturned anyway judging from their insistence that they wouldn't buy anyone in January but I would think Chelsea would be one of those teams in the summer that might just spend out quite a bit renewing their squad.

Overturned on a technicality rather than them being innocent just to add. But still, I'm not a fan of this "hey we'll punish you but no doubt you'll appeal against it and get it reduced to next to nothing or just have it thrown out altogether". That's why I have to laugh at Rio Ferdinand's current situation.

He got banned for 3 games for blatantly hitting Craig Fagan in the face in an off the ball incident missed by the referee in the game against Hull. So they appealed the ban (which did allow him to play in the Carling Cup semi against Man City) but it came back to bite him in the ass since the appeals board called the appeal "frivolous" and increased it to a four game ban. Now he's appealed it again. And I wouldn't be shocked to see it go up to 5 games because the initial offence was so obviously violent conduct and would've been a straight red had the ref seen it. Absolutely nobody knows why he's still appealing against it since it was a red card offence and the first appeal was definitely "frivolous" at the least.

Really it's like that scene in The Breakfast Club where Bender keeps getting more days' worth of detention because he keeps speaking after the principal tells him that one more word out of him and that's what he'll get, and eventually ends up with about 6 months worth or something.

• Like 1

Plus if the FA make it a 5 game ban then he'll miss the Carling Cup final which kind of makes the appeal even more stupid. From what I gather, the entire Man Utd argument is showing the FA a whole bunch of similar incidents that went unpunished and then saying "if they got away with it, why are you picking on us?" Speaking as a fan, I would have much rather Rio took the 4 game ban and got on with it. Missing another game, especially a cup final, is not what we need from Rio when our defence is so depleted as it is.

I could understand the first appeal simply being an excuse to play the Man City game... but any other appeal after that makes no sense as the initial ban will already kick in the game AFTER the Man City ban.

So by the time the two weeks is up... he'll be out another week.

There must be an alternate reason for this, there is no way that a player would go to an appeal board to get a verdict after the first two tries had failed. It's not as if he could claim that the appeal wasn't frivolous... he blatantly appealed to play the Man City game.

He's either:

A) Injured, but doesn't want to let it out or Fergie will start getting pressurised ("How are you going to cope with X injury" etc.)

B) Not in form in the slightest and needs extra time to get ready for the first match he's back.

As much as I clearly dislike Manchester United, I'm not going to be cynical enough to suggest that he's appealing until the FA make the 'right' decision <_<