Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

Standard Liege forward Milan Jovanovic will join Liverpool on a free transfer in the summer, the Belgian club have confirmed to BBC Sport.

The 28-year-old had been linked with AC Milan, Juventus and Valencia.

But he told Belgian newspaper Sporza: "We have reached an agreement for three years, with the option to extend with another season.

"I opted to sign for Liverpool because they're one of the biggest teams in Europe - definitely in the top 10."

Jovanovic joined Standard in 2006 and helped them win back-to-back titles in 2007-08 and 2008-09, while he has scored 12 goals in 23 games to date this season.

The striker, who rejected a move to Spanish giants Real Madrid last year fearing he would not be a regular first-team choice, added: "I'm absolutely delighted that the deal is completed.

"From now on, I can focus on Standard Liege again. I want to leave the club in a good way."

Jovanovic, who has also played for Shakhtar Donetsk and Lokomotiv Moscow, made his international debut for Serbia in a 2-0 win over Finland in June 2007.

- The Beeb

We've never had any problems when signing strikers on a free before, so I'm excited by this.

If Portsmouth go out of existence, how will that effect promotion/relegation? Any ideas?

The only scenario I can see is an extra team moves up from each league to compensate at the start of the next season. I've only known of league clubs folding or withdrawing from the league in Ireland and Scotland who don't have the same pyramid system. It seems to me Pompey going out of existence would result in having to promote one extra team per level on the pyramid.

On the whole 'what happens if/when Pompey go bust', surely they can't null and void the results, because if someone like Hull go down because they lost the three points they won from beating Pompey they have a case to sue since they're being punished for someone else going bust

but it's not right since they won those three points fair and square only to have them taken away later (this has nothing to do with the fact that Birmingham have beaten them twice already :shifty:). Hopefully the Premier League will do what the SPL did with Gretna, pay the wages of the players in order for the club to finish the season. That would seem fairest, so expect it to be dismissed immediatly

That is why I said it would be fairest to allow them to finish the season, so everyone plays them twice and it wouldn't lead to any lawsuits (because you know if someone get relegated or misses out on Europe because of losing their Pompey points they'll sue). It's either that or have every game be an automatic win for everyone.

Please don't take our points away :crying:

Edited by Hugobombski

I think the Premier League rules state that all the club's prior games that season are voided if they goes to the wall, so it'll be results based on the 19 teams in the league.

The Premier League won't fund Portsmouth for 2 reasons.

1. It sets a dangerous precedent and every club would be wanting them to pony up and cover debts.

2. It is an incredibly egotistical, arrogant and self-righteous group. It would be tantamount to admitting they made mistakes in how they set up and conduct the "fit and proper persons" test and the other regulations they have. I can't imagine perfect Premier League admitting they have made mistakes.

Surely Portsmouth can't get a takeover through in a week (I thought any prospective owners would need 2 weeks due diligence anyway) so I reckon it's either liquidation or administration for them.

Nobody's saying they'll fund Portsmouth, just the players, they're not covering any debts, just playing the players their wages, Portsmouth isn't seeing any money, at the end of the season, they're still bust, but the players at least get paid.

Away from the Portsmouth stuff, I'm quite nervous about the game tonight. Villa look strong right now and at home I can see them holding us for a draw or even grabbing a win. I guess the less worrying thing is that we're going into it with great form. I'd certainly be happy with a scrappy win tonight, cant see it being easy.