Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

Hmm, I see Gerrard played today despite two bannable offenses in as many weeks, Almunia saves a penaty despite being half a mile off his line and Upson has a penalty given against him for getting the ball kicked at his arm from a yard (Not to mention the carbon copy against Stoke a few weeks ago). But yeah, damn these referees and their United bias. :rolleyes:

Every team are the victims and beneficiaries of poor refeering decisions at various points throughout the season... the fact is, the best team over the course of the season wins the league. This season will be no different. Was it a penalty today? Probably not. (It most definitely wasn't a red card). But blaming Howard Webb isn't really fair considering all he has to go on is a) his view (blatantly a foul) and b) his linesman, who clearly signalled that it was a penalty. i'd much prefer if more football fans took rockbox's view and blamed their team for poor performances and not the referee... but such is the English way I suppose, we always need an excuse in this country it seems.

Anyhow, great win from our point of view. Park and Fletcher were fantastic again. Still get the feeling it's Arsenal's title to lose though.

• Like 2

Or you can complain about both. Liverpool being poor doesn't excuse Webb being a a woeful excuse for a referee, who constantly bows to the wims of the home fans and makes incorrect decision after incorrect decision without so much as a slap on the wrist from the FA.

Conversely, Webb being an a woeful excuse for a referee, who constantly bows to the wims of the home fans and makes incorrect decision after incorrect decision without so much as a slap on the wrist from the FA doesn't absolve Liverpool for being gutless, clueless and bereft of any creativity or fight in what is supposed to be one of our biggest matches of the season.

• Like 2

Webb really is a shit referee, the only reason he gets an easy ride is because he pushes a few players round every now and again.

His ineptitude was matched by ours though, after the early goal we reverted back to letting Carragher hoof it up towards Torres. On the occasions we did try and play it Gerrard was fucking awful (shock), losing everything that came his way. It's no surprise that our best spell of the match came when Aquilani was in Gerrard's 'position', who should have been dragged off instead of Lucas.

edit: Mascherano's foul was no way a red card. Firstly it was outside the box so it wasn't even a penalty, and Carragher was (with the speed of a paraplegic, admittedly) coming across to cover. You can't make your decisions based on errors made by referees the day before.

Completely agree on just about everything. Gerrard was terrible today, I've seen better control and passing from Conference players at times. Johnson as well for me was poor, looked scared every time he was on the ball. Aside from those two I thought Liverpool were alright, but didn't do anywhere near enough going forward to merit a point or more. Man Utd were the better side, Park in particular shining for me. I was surprised when they were saying he was expected to come off for Giggs, and then he goes and scores the winner.

Webb is terrible, he made some awful decisions for both teams, the biggest of which obviously was the penalty. It wasn't even in the area...can't believe the guy is representing England at the World Cup.

It wasn't even that we were particularly good today, just Liverpool showed no attacking intent after the first six minutes at all. I didn't notice Maxi was playing until Neville kicked him in the head. Gerrard was poor. Torres started brightly but was quickly isolated completely out of the game. They did well to limit the space Park and Rooney had to move around in between the two defenders and two midfielders but you always thought that if we got the second then we'd win the game.

I know today turned out great for United, but I'm not getting ahead of myself and celebrating like we've won the league just yet. We have a huge three weeks coming up. Away at Bolton next Saturday will be tricky and then the CL Quarter Final just four days before the Chelsea game. Not to mention the trip to Blackburn the weekend after.

...Yeah, I'll be a lot happier once the Blackburn game is out of the way and we're still in a position as good as this.

Pfft. We have no form and have to win every single one of our remaining games to do it. That includes beating United, Liverpool and Spurs away to be in with a chance. Mathematically possible, but no.

Much like it's still mathematically possible for Liverpool to win the league (19 points behind with 21 points left to play for; top three lose all games except a draw for Utd v Chelsea and they snatch it by a point). But still, no. :shifty:

I'm still off to Pompey on Wednesday night, and rain has been forecast. Joy.