2009/2010 NBA Thread

jrtdot

That trade would make Orlando much worse. VC plays no defense and needs 20 shots per game to not be a whiny bitch on the court. He pretty much duplicates what Rashard Lewis gives you offensively, and if they lose Hedo and make that trade they don't have a back up PG or a 4. This is like the bizarro offseason where teams are making deals that make no sense whatsoever.

The deal includes New Jersey PF Ryan Anderson. Without him I would seriously question the Magic making the team smaller when we're already short of big guys. If we could retain Hedo as well it would give us a great starting five. You have to believe Alston is going no matter what and while I like Courtney Lee it could give us a better chance to get back to the finals sooner rather than later.

The deal includes New Jersey PF Ryan Anderson. Without him I would seriously question the Magic making the team smaller when we're already short of big guys. If we could retain Hedo as well it would give us a great starting five. You have to believe Alston is going no matter what and while I like Courtney Lee it could give us a better chance to get back to the finals sooner rather than later.

The New Jersey Nets are in serious talks with the Magic about a deal that will send Vince Carter to Orlando for Rafer Alston, Tony Battie and Courtney Lee, two league sources told Chad Ford of ESPN.com.

The talks have reached a point that a deal could be done by the end of the day Thursday, according to sources.

Trading for Carter would likely mean they don't expect to retain Hedo Turkoglu.

Adding VC's salary means Orlando can't afford to pay him, Howard, Lewis AND Hedo. This trade is TURRIBLE! [/Charles Barkley]

That trade would make Orlando much worse. VC plays no defense and needs 20 shots per game to not be a whiny bitch on the court. He pretty much duplicates what Rashard Lewis gives you offensively, and if they lose Hedo and make that trade they don't have a back up PG or a 4. This is like the bizarro offseason where teams are making deals that make no sense whatsoever.

uh...I don't know if you've seen any Nets games this season, but VC has finally grown up. He at least gives effort on the defensive side and he's really embraced his veteran status in the league. Put him a winning team like Orlando and I think he's gonna do extremely well.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see the Magic swallow the luxury tax and still sign Hedo.

uh...I don't know if you've seen any Nets games this season, but VC has finally grown up. He at least gives effort on the defensive side and he's really embraced his veteran status in the league. Put him a winning team like Orlando and I think he's gonna do extremely well.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see the Magic swallow the luxury tax and still sign Hedo.

VC's not going to be able to take 20+ shots in Orlando unless they plan to take away all of Lewis' shots and considering he's making max money that's a disastrous combo. The Magic are not going to be able to pay Hedo what he wants and keep Carter, Lewis, Nelson and Howard because those guys are all making big money. I just don't see it happening and no one in their right mind would take Lewis' contract until he's an expiring.

From what I could tell the Magic would still have 5 million to offer Hedo before going into luxury tax territory. I can see them breaking it to keep him for sure, otherwise they wouldn't have made this move.

They've already come out and said publicly that they're going to be going over the luxury tax for the first time in the team's history. I think Hedu was going to leave anyways as I think somebody else will offer him a substantially higher amount of money.

RealGM.com

According to NBA sources, Steve Nash expressed his displeasure with Shaquille O'Neal during a meeting last week in New York with general manager Steve Kerr.

O'Neal was traded to Cleveland on Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

Nash in Kerr's ear again hmmm..

While there is no truth to the possibility of Amare Stoudemire being moved to Houston in a package for Tracy McGrady, Ben Wallace could be flipped to New Orleans for Tyson Chandler.

Wallace is an expiring $14 million contract that could also provide the Suns more immediate financial relief with a buyout (although he would still count as a $14 million salary for luxury tax purposes). Chandler's contract goes into the 2010-11 season at about $13 million.

The Pacers are discussing point guard T.J. Ford with a number of teams, according to Yahoo! Sports.

Indiana has been linked to a point guard with their first-round pick, but earlier rumors suggested that Jarrett Jack could be the one on his way out of town.

Jack will become a restricted free agent next month.

Sources said that the Knicks have paid $3 million for the pick and are also giving the Lakers their second round pick in 2011 in order to acquire the 29th overall pick.

The Knicks appear to be targeting Georgetown 6-8 forward DaJuan Summers with the selection.

Other reports indicate that Jack McClinton or Josh Heytvelt could be the target.

I think that NJ got another great deal for one of their players. They got a great deal for (even amazing) Kidd in getting Harris, possibly a future top tier point guard. They gave away Jefferson for Yi and Simmons (okay not as good but Simmons is a good player and they dumped Jefferson's salary). Now they traded away Carter for Lee (who is going to be a star), Alston can be good at times when he is Skip to My Lou, and Battie who did a good job during the playoffs!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4287197

As for the Nets, the move is a cost-cutting measure. Both Alston and Battie are in the last year of their contracts, and trading for them would shave $16.5 million off New Jersey's roster in the summer of 2010 and put the Nets well below the salary cap.

Over the life of the contracts, the Nets would save $40 million by making the deal.

The Nets/Magic thing has been agreed to and the financial side of things pretty much spells why NJ did it and that Hedo will be looking for work elsewhere.

I like the move for the Magic a lot actually. Not so much for the Nets, unless they get another big name at the three or four spot. Either way, what the Magic really needed last year was a closer, a guy they could hand the ball to late in games to make big shots. And even though Turkoglu did a pretty good job at that, he missed a lot more big shots than he made. Vince Carter is going to be a nice clutch scorer for Orlando, and Pietrus proved he can definitely start at small forward. Nelson/Carter/Pietrus/Lewis/Howard definitely sounds like a solid starting five to me.

In NBA related news, Bill Simmons rips Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy a new one, on Colin Cowherd's radio show after Dunleavy called him a joke.

I like the move for the Magic a lot actually. Not so much for the Nets, unless they get another big name at the three or four spot. Either way, what the Magic really needed last year was a closer, a guy they could hand the ball to late in games to make big shots. And even though Turkoglu did a pretty good job at that, he missed a lot more big shots than he made. Vince Carter is going to be a nice clutch scorer for Orlando, and Pietrus proved he can definitely start at small forward. Nelson/Carter/Pietrus/Lewis/Howard definitely sounds like a solid starting five to me.

And who exactly is going to guard the opposing forwards on that team?

In NBA related news, Bill Simmons rips Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy a new one, on Colin Cowherd's radio show after Dunleavy called him a joke.

Yeah I heard that earlier today. That was glorious.

And to be fair, it's not like the Magic gave up post defenders in that trade. It was more or less a lateral move as is getting Carter really that much better than having Turkaglu on the team? Not a whole lot different other than the fact that Turkaglu is probably gone so Carter really just fills that hole.

Edited by Livid Soprano