2009/2010 NBA Thread

jrtdot

That sucks for Yao. I always liked him as a player, but his body started breaking down early on so this isn't much of a surprise. As for the Rockets, they took the '94 championship from my Knicks in devastating fashion so in some way this pleases me that they may end up enduring a decade of suffering like my team has put me through since '99 :shifty:

Ha. Too bad Morey is about a million times more competent than Isiah. :)

A million times zero is still zero :shifty:

Well Yao's stock is gonna free fall in 2010, so if he is healthy by the end of next year, the Rockets may be the only team out there who might even be willing to invest in him at all

Yao's commercial appeal rivals anybody's in the NBA besides Lebron, Kobe, and maybe Dwight Howard. If he can give somebody 20-25 minutes a night, he'll get a max offer.

Charlie Villanueva didnt get offered a qualifying offer so he is now a restricted FA. The early talk that I have heard is that he could possibly be heading to Cleveland for about the MLE which I would totally be alright with. He was a 16pt/7reb PF last year and even though he may not hit that amount of points next year if he were to come to Cleveland being about the 3rd/4th option on offense, he has the abiltiy to hit the outside shot pretty decently so that would fit into a need for the Cavs. If that were to go down I would be pretty happy with a line up of:

PG:Mo/D. Gibson/Kinsey

SG: Delonte/Gibson/Green

SF:LeBron/Green

PF: CV/Varejao/Hickson

C:Shaq/Z/Darnell Jackson

They would have to fill out the roster with a couple of vet minimum guys but I would be satisfied with that. It will be intresting to see what happens when free agency starts on Wednesday.

Except for the fact that they spent a first round pick on Joe Alexander last year, who happens to play the same position as Jefferson. That's one of the reasons why they traded him in the first place.

Alexander won't even be starting in that position most likely, that will be Moute's job (Moute got over twice as many minutes a game then Alexander). I read a few places that the main reason behind them wanting to cut Jefferson's salary off the books was to sign their young free agents (Sessions and CV) to the long contracts while allowing Moute and Alexander to get some playing time. So in a way that is one of the reasons and made Jefferson more expendable, but it wasn't the main reason.

If the Bucks don't sign CV then the Jefferson trade was a complete mistake.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/11905857

It seems that way since they didn't make an offer to Charlie and he's now an unrestricted FA. It's becoming increasingly obvious in recent years that Milwaukee doesn't have a clue what they're doing.

Edited by naiwf

CV has posted on his Twitter he won't be back in a Bucks uniform and to make matters worse, there's a youtube video of Jennings saying the Bucks wouldn't re-sign Sessions and he'll be the starting PG next year, along with him cursing the Knicks. It's been taken down, but still.

Transcript of Brandon Jennings hating on a wide variety of things. The bolding came from the site I took it from.

Jennings is apparently tight with rapper Joe Budden and Budden does a bit of his own web streaming. Jennings' Twitter page (before it was taken down) had a mention of trying to get on Joe Budden TV, the rapper's live video feed. You can see a cached version of the page here, including a few tweets that mention Budden by name.

Two separate videos were posted on YouTube by user TotalReviewNet, which have since been taken down, where you can hear someone who is allegedly Jennings on speakerphone talking to Budden about a variety of topics. Without being able to see the videos, you probably lose some of that context that it's two close friends, really saying things in private, but once you put that stuff out there for the world on a web cam, it's out there for anyone to interpret however they'd like.

[...]

On next season in Milwaukee ...

Budden: You better worry about Ramon Sessions, diggin' in your a**, pause.

Jennings: He's not going to be here. [inaudible] That money is going to Charlie.

Budden: N****, Ramon Sessions is gonna be there.

Jennings: I doubt it.

Budden: They ain't go no other guards.

Jennings: Ridnour.

Budden: N****, get that bum-a** n**** outta here.

Jennings: He's going to be a backup.

Budden: To who?

Jennings: To who? Who else n****?

On what happened on draft night ...

Budden: Who was hatin' on you?

Jennings: Jay Bilas.

Budden: What happened? You ran in the draft late or some dumb s*** like a loser?

Jennings: No, I was at the hotel. This is what happened right. My agent is like "Well, we ain't hear nothing .We ain't have no guarantee." So we makin' phone calls and s*** and n***** is saying like "The workouts is great and everything and he's the best point guard but we don't know yet, we just don't know."

Budden: They didn't say that about Rick Rubio, number one, and number two they didn't say you the best point guard. They said your jump shot is shaky, you got some potential, but your work ethic is bull****. You averaged 3 points.

Jennings: You're a liar. I know you're lying now.

Budden: I'm just telling you what they said.

Jennings: That ain't nothing but a college person.

Budden: Just tell me what happened. You end up running in the draft? I tunred it off after that.

Jennings: No, n****, I came out there and made my appearance n**** and I had the best appearance out of all them n******. And I was the best dressed, they said, by the way. I was the best dressed.

On whether he'll start next season ...

Budden: You think you gonna start for real though?

Jennings: I don't know, actually, I really don't know.

Budden: I heard that n**** Scott Skiles is an a**h***.

Jennings: That n**** tough, that n**** tough though. There must be a reason he liked me. There must be a reason.

On Ricky Rubio and the Knicks ...

Budden: Let me know when Minnesota get there. So I can watch Rubio light your f****** a** up. I never seen a n**** hate on Rubio so much.

Jennings: [inaudible]

Budden: You know what's funny? You're the only guard in the draft talking s*** about Rubio.

Jennings: The other n***** are scared.

Budden: What are you going to do when Rubio comes to the Knicks?

Jennings: Rubio is not coming, they are not giving up Rubio. You got Jordan Hill, you happy with that?

Budden: I don't really know enough about Jordan Hill to be happy ... I'm happy with Toney Douglas.

Jennings: I know they were booing this n****.

Budden: What does that mean? They boo everybody n****.

Jennings: If it was Stpehen Curry, them n***** would've went crazy in there.

Budden: Shut the f*** up, you don't even know nothing about New York basketball.

Jennings: F*** the Knicks, them n***** skipped out on me.

Budden: Oh man, you feel to the Knicks like I do about Jay-Z? [Laughs] Yo, the Knicks is your Jay-Z?

Jennings: F*** the Knicks, them n***** is always going to be weak.

Budden: This is where I f****** hang up on your f****** ass for talking stupid.

Jennings: Duhon ain't gonna get it done.

I'm just glad the Knicks didn't draft him.

Why not? He sounds more articulate than Marbury. Seems friendlier too.

It took him less than a week to make the news for negative reasons. Why must you keep bringing up the demons of the past, Steph/Isiah, huh? I'm trying to forget this last decade and you're not helping.

On an unrelated note, Yao's foot appears to be REALLY bad.

Tom Clanton, the Rockets' team physician, confirmed the severity of Yao's injury and told the Houston Chronicle it "could be career threatening." Not only has the fracture not healed, it has gotten worse, Clanton said -- extending across the bone.

Jennings was getting bad pub before the draft, I really don't see how this changes much. He's arrogant, I thought that was established awhile ago? And if he can live up to his potential, he could be a really good PG in the league but that's a waiting game now.

Plus, people are talking about the Bucks for the first time in years.

Jennings was getting bad pub before the draft, I really don't see how this changes much. He's arrogant, I thought that was established awhile ago? And if he can live up to his potential, he could be a really good PG in the league but that's a waiting game now.

Plus, people are talking about the Bucks for the first time in years.

Very few PGs who don't play a few years in college turn out to be anything in the league. Given that Jennings suffers from Foot in Mouth disease AND he's now a Buck, I don't have high expectations.

RAPTORS EXTEND QUALIFYING OFFER TO MENSAH-BONSU

Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - The Toronto Raptors have extended a qualifying offer to forward Pops Mensah-Bonsu. Per team policy, financial details were not disclosed.

As a restricted free agent, Mensah-Bonsu can sign an offer sheet with another team, but Toronto now owns the right of first refusal.

Mensah-Bonsu, a London native and George Washington University product, averaged 5.1 points, 5.4 rebounds and 13.8 minutes in 19 games with the Raptors last season after signing as a free agent on March 6.

Previously he had signed a 10-day contract with the San Antonio Spurs and appeared in three games. His first taste of NBA action came in 2006-07, appearing in 12 games for the Dallas Mavericks.

tsn.ca

Hard worker, Pops deserves a contract, it seems like their bench on the PF/C is looking like a pure rebounding team if Pops and Evans are the first subs.

Trevor Ariza's agent David Lee said Monday that the Lakers won't receive a hometown discount from his client.

Lee declined to reveal how much of a raise Ariza will seek when he becomes an unrestricted free agent, but he said his client should make him the most coveted wing player on the market.

Among the teams Lee expects to pursue Ariza are Detroit, Portland and Toronto.

"It's a question of how committed the Lakers are to competing again," Lee said. "If everyone else stood still, you could see what happens when a piece is missing, but the reality is teams out there are positioning themselves to be competitive. When other teams are getting better, you can't afford to rest on your laurels."

Ricky Rubio has become the most sought after player in the NBA.

Executives across the league are flooding Timberwolves president David Kahn's office with calls offering trades for Rubio.

The Wolves, however, are in no hurry to trade Rubio.

"The last thing we needed to do was be demanding and assertive. Not now," Kahn said. "I don't know how this is going to play out. There could be a lot of twists and turns. But I don't feel any self-imposed pressure that this needs to be resolved or concluded in any short fashion."