2009/2010 NBA Thread

jrtdot

could just be to clear cap space for next year because if Chandler does not like Charlotte or they do not perform well this year he can rescind his Player Option for next year and be a free agent.

also:

Mavs sign Tim Thomas - good defender and perimeter shooter

Pacers sign Earl Watson - good replacement for Tinsley as a backup

Cavs waive Tarence Kinsey - to clear some space and cap room

Saves Charlotte 36 million over 3 years though so if they didn't think Okafor was the answer it was a good time to get value and a potential expiring this year or next. If they don't sign Felton and keep contracts to where they are expiring in the 2012 off-season, they could easily only have around 30 million on the books. Add in the fact they would probably be a top 10 lottery team those three years and they could have a really nice core to try and use some cap room to sign a big free agent in the next generation's big FA class.

RealGM.com

Raptors Officially Acquire Belinelli For George, Cash

The Golden State Warriors have acquired guard/forward Devean George from the Toronto Raptors in exchange for guard Marco Belinelli, the team announced today. As part of the deal, the Warriors also receive cash considerations. “We’re looking forward to adding a veteran with Devean’s experience to our squad,” said General Manager Larry Riley. “He is obviously a proven winner and has been on several very successful teams during his career, which is something we feel is important when you look at the youth on our roster. He is a versatile player and someone who we feel can contribute both on and off the court.”

So the Raps add another piece to their nice looking roster and bring along a little bit more Italia for their newly extended contract big man Bargnani. IMO good deal as from what I hear, Belinelli is a good kid with good range and could fit very well into the rotation at SG

- Raps also officially signed Rasho to a one year contract in the $1.9 Mill with their Bi-Annual exception where he will be the main backup for Bargnani.

this is the unofficial depth chart as of right now going into the next season for the Raps:

C: Andrea Bargnani, Rasho Nesterovic, Patrick O’Bryant

PF: Bosh, Reggie Evans

SF: Hedo Turkoglu, Antoine Wright

SG: Belinelli, DeRozan, Quincy Douby

PG: Jose Calderon, Jarett Jack, Roko Ukic, Marcus Banks

with one more spot open to sign either Pops or Delfino. IMO, I think they should get Pops because he is an energy guy and with Delfino, he will eat minutes from DeRozan and with plenty of Guards especially since they have a lot of combo guards like Belinelli, Jack, Douby and even Calderon it seems like a no brainer to grab a guy who always goes for rebounds.

Edited by jrtdot

So, yeah, you guys can just give up now, the Drive for Five is on.

Though, LOL at Boston fans talking shit on sports talk radio, about how the 'Lakers are going to need three basketballs to keep everyone happy'. Did Boston just not watch the Lakers last year? It's the same damn team, except they basically traded Ariza for Artest, who needs the ball LESS than Ariza. Odom doesn't need the ball to be effective, and neither does Bynum. This is all especially hilarious coming from Celtics fans, because there's no player in their starting line-up, with the arguable exception of KG, that doesn't need the ball.

Are you on the side that thinks Artest for Ariza is an upgrade or a downgrade? Personally, I'm leaning towards a downgrade myself just because of the fact that Ariza is a better defender against most guys, Artest seems to have lost a step getting older. Not that I think it matters much right now, Lakers are still my pick next year too.

Oh, and it's been reported on Ricky Rubio's European team's twitter account apparently has said Rubio will be staying put at least this next year.

Edited by Trey

Oh, and it's been reported on Ricky Rubio's European team's twitter account apparently has said Rubio will be staying put at least this next year.

But the team also says that if Rubio stays he won't play any game. And all of this happened because Rubio is a huge prick.

Edited by erperro

In another cash dump, Rasual Butler has been shipped from the New Orleans Hornets to the Clippers for a future Draft Pick. Talk about your subtraction by SUBTRACTION

Leon Powe has signed on with the Cavs and Big Baby Glen Davis resigns with Boston for 2 more years.

also: Linas Klezia and Von Wafer have left the NBA for Olympiakos to join Josh Childress in Greece

In other news: Wade has bought a new house in Chicago *maybe a sign of things to come...or maybe not*, and just a question, what are the odds, in your opinion, Lebron James actually signs with New York next year??

Even putting my Cleveland bias aside I really dont see New York having any reasonable chance at getting Lebron, the Nets I think would have a far better chance at getting him. They have young talent to surround him with and they still have cap space so they would seem like a logical choice out of some of the teams that are mentioned as possible suitors for Lebron. I still say that he stays in Cleveland because #1 they right now are the team that is closest to getting a championship out of the potential teams, they can offer him the most money, and I really think that Dan Gilbert, our owner, has time and again shown a willingness to spend money to make the team better and they have brought in players that fit in with Lebron.

With that being said I was pretty happy to see that Cavs pick up Leon Powe because although the is a chance that he may not even play this season he has the possibility of coming back and adding some depth to the PF position which was a need for us. It will also allow us to test JJ Hickson at the beginning of the year in the back up PF role to see what the Cavs have in him, he defiantly has good potential but there is no telling if he reaches it or not.

Are you on the side that thinks Artest for Ariza is an upgrade or a downgrade? Personally, I'm leaning towards a downgrade myself just because of the fact that Ariza is a better defender against most guys, Artest seems to have lost a step getting older. Not that I think it matters much right now, Lakers are still my pick next year too.

Missed this.

Definately an upgrade. Ariza *might* be really good in three years, but he'll never be a number one type player, and in three years the Lakers will probably be looking at either one last run or reloading. Artest is better now, and will be for the next two to three years, so it's clearly an upgrade.

Missed this.

Definately an upgrade. Ariza *might* be really good in three years, but he'll never be a number one type player, and in three years the Lakers will probably be looking at either one last run or reloading. Artest is better now, and will be for the next two to three years, so it's clearly an upgrade.

This was my thinking, until I thought about it and realized that Artest's skillset has been dwindling. He no longer has the quickness to cover 2s. And he's a headcase. Of course, I think the Lakers can contain that, but I'd rather have Ariza in the near-term and the long-term.

And as a Rockets fan, I'm glad we do. :)

Yeah, but I think Ariza's a better fit for them this season as well. The Lakers don't need Artest's firepower on offense. What they need are role players who can hit open 3s, play solid defense. At this point in their career, I give the edge to Ariza. If you look at their age and potential, then it's Ariza by a mile.

And again, Artest is a nutjob. Seriously, did you read about him showing up to the Rockets bus in his underwear? And put him in a place like LA? Forget about it. If he wasn't a nutjob before, the 24-7 media coverage and paparazzi will turn him into one.