Damn, I cannot wait for...

ThePhenom07

Because we don't have a general music thread, and this was the last place I saw that mentioned it...

Alice in Chains have revealed the artwork for "Black Give Way to Blue".

5410_114155977490_15295887490_2179145_5794053_n.jpg

Pretty good in my opinion.

Tiesto apparently got a new album coming out, and a North American tour stopping in Lowell. Wait? World famous dance DJ... in Lowell, Mass.?!?!?!

Someone must have gotten paid a pretty penny to do this.

But anyway... I been wicked happy about that the last few days. Just another six weeks to wait.

I was about to ask what Alice In Chains have been like since Layne Staley died. Until I checked and saw that this is their first release. I'm badly out of touch. >_>

Could be interesting though.

Oh and I like the artwork also.

Saw them in their first North American show in Columbus, the new guy impressed. Sung the classics very well, and the fact they opened with Rain When I Die was awesome.

Yeah, the new guy is good, although not personally as good as Staley (which was always going to be hard to top). I'm quite excited to hear their new stuff, I must say.

For those interested the first single is HERE.

The first single was "A Looking in View" which is the picture, so "Check My Brain" must be second or third. But nevertheless: holy hell, the intro to that song is awesome. Really digging the classic doom-like riff, sounding as if you're on a hard comedown from a high (I imagine).

God damn, AIC and Pearl Jam keep one-upping each other with news that I keep flipping back and forth between which one I'm most looking forward too.

Edited by TheModernWay

Damnit, i've reached a point where I'll look at a bands website and hear of a 2009 release and become mega-hyped before realising that that album was released in January and I've heard it (case in point, Mastodon ¬_¬). I've bought/listened to so much that it's all melted together.

But on the plus side, I've heard that Between the Buried and Me are releasing a new album, Colours was an AMAZING album and I hope this is going to top even that.

I was just listening to AiC's Dirt, and put "Check my Brain" to come on after it. DuVall is great on it and their really isn't that much of a difference between the DuVall/Cantrell harmony and the Staley/Cantrell on the harder songs. "Check My Brain" was almost seamless in fitting in with the classic stuff.

I think the most difference between Staley and DuVall will come from the softer, more emotional songs a la "Nutshell", "Rooster" or the other Sap/Jar of Flies type stuff. I've got an album by Comes With The Fall (DuVall's band) and on the softer stuff, Staley is easily better, despite DuVall being quite good anyway.

Concert-wise, Harvey Danger next Friday. It's third-to-last show ever and their last all ages show. I couldn't get tickets for their last show, but this is the next best thing.

Album wise, Gorillaz next year and Sean Lennon whenever he releases his next one, hopefully sooner than he released Friendly Fire after Into the Sun.

• 2 weeks later...

I just pre-ordered Backspacer. I don't know why I'm so excited for it, possibly because I bought Ten & Vs. together for £3.99 about a month ago and have been listening to a fair bit of Pearl Jam since then though. Plus the Eddie Vedder solo demo of "Speed of Sound" from that scavenger hunt thing too is great, hope the studio version on the album is as good. The limited edition gate-fold is the same price as the normal one on Play, so y'know, may as well go for it.

PJ do those emotional, slow, quiet, vocal driven songs (that's the best description I've got) like "Indifference", "Release" and "Nothingman" so well.

In conclusion: hurry up 21st September. <_<

Edited by TheModernWay

I take it the package you bought is the slipcase from play.com (regarding Ten and Vs)? Can you tell me it it includes the plastic cases, booklets etc. or just two cds inside a paper sleeve?

It's the only thing stopping me getting it, the though that I'll probably have to get it again because I'm so anal about my collection ¬_¬

I take it the package you bought is the slipcase from play.com (regarding Ten and Vs)? Can you tell me it it includes the plastic cases, booklets etc. or just two cds inside a paper sleeve?

It's the only thing stopping me getting it, the though that I'll probably have to get it again because I'm so anal about my collection ¬_¬

Yeah it is that. And that was what was slightly putting me off, but it is two proper seperate CD cases with the booklet etc., just put in a cardboard sleeve. Also, there are no bonus tracks on either, but for £3.99, it's still worth it.

Blueprint 3 and Relapse 2 for sure. After that, I'm not really sure whats coming out right now, I usually find out a couple days beforehand.

I'm on a good string of shows right now. I saw the B-52s a few weeks back, and they were really cool. I just saw Motorhead and the Reverend Horton Heat together, and the show blew my fucking mind. It was awesome, Motorhead was the loudest fucking show I've ever seen (heard?) and I've seen Blue Cheer. The Reverend were there usual awesome self.

I'm looking forward to Alice Cooper in a couple of weeks, and Murder By Death by the end of the month.

• 2 weeks later...

Alice in Chains give a preview of 'Black Gives Way to Blue' in the form of 30-second samples of the whole album.

Sounding pretty good IMO. Title track sounds like classic Jar of Flies/Sap goodness.

Edited by TheModernWay

• 2 weeks later...

Next month I will be seeing Ben Folds. But not just Ben Folds, Ben Folds with the Seattle Symphony Orchestra. Hell yes.

Also, I'm probably buying Shonen Knife tickets today, and probably tickets for my second Art Brut concert this year.

And on a non-live music note, rumors are going out that the next Gorillaz album (which is already confirmed to have De La Soul on two tracks) will include appearances by Barry Gibb and Lou Reed. What.