Warner Bros. buys Midway

zero

Judge approves Midway sale to Warner Bros.

Mortal Kombat maker cleared to emerge from bankruptcy thanks to $33 million acquisition offer.

Midway Games is just about ready to turn the final page on its Chapter 11 saga: a Delaware bankruptcy court judge yesterday approved the company's proposed $33 million sale to Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. The sale should close in short order, as the judge waived a standard 10-day waiting provision in such cases, saying "time is of the essence."

The acquisition will give Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment most of Midway's assets, including the Mortal Kombat and Wheelman franchises. The offer does not include Midway's Newcastle (UK) and San Diego studios, nor the TNA Impact wrestling license. Earlier this month, Midway's Newcastle studio revealed its all-new IP, Necessary Force, in an effort to attract a buyer.

In approving the sale, the judge also dealt with a variety of objections to the sale raised from various parties. Notably, a dispute with a producer of the original Mortal Kombat movies and TV shows was allayed as all parties agreed that the change in ownership to Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment would not alter his rights regarding the franchise in any way. However, there was no determination on exactly what those rights were.

A representative with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment declined to comment on the acquisition or the expected closing date of the purchase, while a Midway spokesperson had not returned request for comment as of press time.

Edited by Zero

Exactly, and TNA films at Universal. So I'd imagine they wouldn't be too happy to have Midway keep working on the game.

Well, I'd doubt that's an issue. Universal doesn't mind TNA filming at their facilities when they own the USA Network, home to WWE Raw. And Universal doesn't mind the show being on Spike TV, which is owned by CBS/Viacom.

Exactly, and TNA films at Universal. So I'd imagine they wouldn't be too happy to have Midway keep working on the game.

Well, I'd doubt that's an issue. Universal doesn't mind TNA filming at their facilities when they own the USA Network, home to WWE Raw. And Universal doesn't mind the show being on Spike TV, which is owned by CBS/Viacom.

H-uh, didn't think of that. You're probably right. Universal is quite a whore.

The bigger issue is probably that the game didn't sell too well, quickly dropped into the bargain bin post release and it lost Midway money. Naturally, WB is dumping the shit that they think will likely lose them money, and TNA's video game license is probably one of the major things on that list.

Someone else will most likely pick up the license for the game and make it, so no worries.

The gameplay for the game was great last year. Just too few game modes.

For those of you who follow Jeremy Borash on Twitter, he put a video up a couple of days ago which some him with a do-rag/sock/condom thing on his head getting his face scanned, and the the camera showed the model of his head on the computer screen the designers were working on.

So at the very least it may seem the game is still in production with SOMEONE, be it the current Midway studio (under a different name perhaps?) or someone else. I'm thinking Epic Games, as the game was built with the Unreal Engine (which Epic made for the Unreal Tournament games) and the stuff with the AJ Styles/Gears of War thing they had.

But who knows.

EDIT:

-- Jakks Pacific was at last week's set of Impact tapings scanning wrestlers for the forthcoming TNA action figure line. However, it will be a while before the figures are released as the launch isn't expected until sometime next year. (source: PWInsider.com)

Balls. ¬¬

BUt who would want a Jeremy Borash figure? :\

Edited by TheModernWay

• 2 weeks later...

I got it, and I have no idea why people say it was good "for a first shot" I mean, for a first shot way back when? Yeah I agree, it's pretty good for then.. but as I said back when the topic was still active for Impact.. they had all the building blocks there, and they should know what makes a good wrestling game. It's not like they really innovated anything.. it was pisspoor and fun for about an hour or so, then it was just the same shit over and over again. I'd but it for five or ten dollars for this reason, if at all.. but it's still full price on the Wii and down to 20 dollars on PS3 and 360 at Walmart.