Muse - The United States of Eurasia

DFF

I tried searching for a thread but the search engine has been taken offline it seems.

So, yeah, Muse's newest song (and the first from new album Resistance) hit the airwaves this week. What does everyone make of it?

There's two versions of the song. One has a piano outro (of them covering Chopin) the other doesn't.

Here's a link to the longer one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S83tuz8000

I think I like it. The piano parts are great, and I like the first part of the heavier bit (a blatant homage to Queen). Not entirely sold on the lyrics yet, but they could easily grow on me.

So... what does EWB think?

Edited by DFF/WFS

I think it's brilliant. A mix between 'Knights of Cydonia' and a few of the more apocalyptic tracks from 'Absolution'. It's a sign of good things to come, and I hope the other tracks follow an epic, dystopian feel to them too.

I think I'm on my 4th or 5th play through now and... I'm really starting to like it. I like the middle-eastern tinge to the guitar work that's reminiscent of Zep.

Only Muse could reference Queen, Zep and Chopin in one song. :P

It sounds kind of like Queen trying to sing Orwell's 1984.

It's alright, sounds like someone gave Queen the 1984 book to read and told them to write a song about it. But hey, I like 1984 and I like Queen. Just not together.

But from the thoughts ITT it's a bit of a grower, so I'll give it a chance. I think I'll probably like the references in the song more than the song itself though. >_>

'Uprising', the lead single for the album has leaked if you can find it on Youtube. It's like Muse mixed with the Doctor Who theme.

EDIT: The song is alright. Not that catchy, and probably their weakest lead single ever, so it'll be interesting to see if it charts well.

Edited by The GAsterpiece

'Uprising', the lead single for the album has leaked if you can find it on Youtube. It's like Muse mixed with the Doctor Who theme.

EDIT: The song is alright. Not that catchy, and probably their weakest lead single ever, so it'll be interesting to see if it charts well.

Having now heard it a few times through, I have to disagree - I think it's really catchy. I'm loving the synthy sound that they've gone for the intro/outro.

You're right about the Doctor Who thing though - can definitely hear an influence in the intro.

What a bag of self-indulgent cock. They were better when they seemed more aware of how silly their proggier tendencies were and didn't let themselves get carried away with it, this is far too po-faced, and far too Queen-esque wankery.

gonna copy and paste my post on this from another thread cause I can't be bothered thinking of anything new to say. >_>

"I listened to Muse's new song there and I'm not at all impressed with it. They seem to be suffering from head-up-arse syndrome and the song is just woeful. The song sounds like Innuendo. It has gay as fuck lyrics and a gay as fuck ending. It seems they're following on from Knights of Cydonia stylistically which is as shit as a song can possibly be. The level of "epicness" just seems forced and plastic, as is the case with Knights of Cydonia. if

Maybe it will grow on me. But I doubt it. If I wanted to listen to overblown bombastic wank I have a perfectly "good" copy of Innuendo. But I rarely want to listen to such a thing."

I still agree with this.