Best sports names?

Liam

There's a boss (yes, that's right... "boss") bit in that segment where Hancock explains why Don Revie encouraged his Leeds team to all take on Brazil-style mononyms -- he'd had a bet that "the Division One's top goalscorer would be a player whose named ended in a vowel."

On the funnee names topic: Pramodya Wickramasinghe. Sounds like a comedy "funny foreigner" name. BUT HE'S A REAL MAN, INSTEAD!!!!!

I see your Wickramasinghe and raise you Ravinda Pushpakumara.

A few from AFL:

Steele Sidebottom

Tyson Goldsack

Willie Dick

A few from AFL:

Steele Sidebottom

Tyson Goldsack

Willie Dick

Don't forget Jarryd Roughead, Brad & Dean Dick, Adam Cockshell, Dean Cox, Shannon Cox.

God, Sam Newman had a field day when those came up.

And who could forget "The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey,"

Also Ilija Grigic, Che Cockatoo-Collins and his brothers, Muttiah Muralitharan and a cricketer who had a 50 something letter long name, Guus Hiddink, plus the Japanese soccer player called Fukunishi caused some controversy here because people can't use accents. sad.gif

Edited by Hornswoggle4PM

There's a boss (yes, that's right... "boss") bit in that segment where Hancock explains why Don Revie encouraged his Leeds team to all take on Brazil-style mononyms -- he'd had a bet that "the Division One's top goalscorer would be a player whose named ended in a vowel."

On the funnee names topic: Pramodya Wickramasinghe. Sounds like a comedy "funny foreigner" name. BUT HE'S A REAL MAN, INSTEAD!!!!!

A few from AFL:

Steele Sidebottom

Tyson Goldsack

Willie Dick

Actually, I have a good friend called Sidebottom :/ And isn't there an English cricket player called Sidebottom as well ?

A few from AFL:

Steele Sidebottom

Tyson Goldsack

Willie Dick

Actually, I have a good friend called Sidebottom :/ And isn't there an English cricket player called Sidebottom as well ?

Yes, of the Ryan variety.

My favourite has always been former Sri Lankan first class player Rajitha Amunugama. Or, as he prefers to be known, Amunugama Rajapakse Rajakaruna Abeykoon Panditha Wasalamudiyanse Ralahamilage Rajitha Krishantha Bandara Amunugama.

Nothing beats seeing ARRAPWRRKB Amunugama on a scorecard.

Hulk (or Givanildo Vieira de Souza), a Brazilian who plays for Porto. Instead of the usual shitty nicknames like Ronaldinhno, Robinho, etc, he got Hulk! It's even what is printed on his shirt. Apparently it was a nickname given to him by his mother due to his resemblance to Lou Ferrigno.

cimg7673.JPG

You can see what they mean.

Rafael Scheidt (shite) who played for Celtic at one point was another good one. He lived up to that name, as he played a handful of games after being bought for £5million and was absolutely shite.

Rod Fanni was a good one, almost went to Newcastle. Glad he didn't.

Gaetan Bong, a French-Cameroonian footballer is one of my French favourites.

There's also a Belgian football coach called Fanny Schamp.

The millions of Wangs throughout Chinese sport. Wang Gang is my favourite so far. Honourable mentions for Wang Dong, Wang Yu, Wang Song, Wang Bin, Wang In-Suk, Wang Sang-Woo and Wang Shouting.

Norman Conquest played for Australia back in the mid-1900s, and is part of the Aussie football hall of fame.