UEFA Champions League 2009/10 Thread

stokeriño

I think that if Chelsea had any player that could create as much from as little as Wesley Sneijder did tonight then they would've found the goal they needed and got through. He was superb, as were Inter's defence, who blocked and headed away everything that was thrown at them. Having said that, they were lucky not to concede a penalty or two.

Flicking through the BBC 'as it happened' live text, I feel the need to make something clear:

2043: BBC Sport's Phil McNulty at Stamford Bridge: "A scrappy first half draws to a close with jeers from a frustrated Stamford Bridge crowd.

We were not jeering the players. We were jeering the officials, after a) Champions League Penalty #6 Not Given To Chelsea, and b) only 1 minute of added time. More time than that was wasted getting water sprayed on Cesar's ankle alone.

On the plus side, Ross Turnbull could not be faulted.

Edit: Also, as I just realise, I now get to save money that I would have otherwise spent on subsequent Champions League tickets.

...Yay.

A neat free kick goal by Gourcuff for Bordeaux, but jesus christ was that second attempt amazing or what? I thought he'd never try, not in a million years, but it curled beautifully from far, far out and was just inches away from going in. Instead it hit the bar and there was no one to capitalize, but what a beauty it would've been.

What a fantastic draw.

No surprise that most will write off Arsenal straight away. It'll all depend on the fitness of certain players for them, but that's going to be a cracking tie. I actually think they'll push Barca the entire way and could even upset them. For football in general, this should be fantastic.

That all said, Barca/United II is exactly what I want. Revenge for last year, not to mention all the build they'll put on it as Messi versus Rooney. I'd like to think we learned from last year, so I'd LOVE to make it to the final and beat Barcelona. While we've avoided the main big teams, Bayern aren't going to be a walk in the park. Really looking forward to that one.

• Like 1

Apparantly I'd said Bordeaux instead of Oympiakos (whooo) so got 5 out of 8 right. This means that as three of us got it right we're in the running for the share of 60 pints. One guy said that Bayern Munich would win while two of us said Barca, so if Barca win the CL then it's 30 pints for me at the cost of the £15 competition entrance fee. If someone else wins then our amount of pints drops a little but still win some.

So boooooooo on Bayern Munich!

As an aside, I was the only person to say that Lyon would beat Real apparantly and one of only a couple who thought CSKA would beat Sevilla.

Just a shame Chelsea lost. Grr.

What a fantastic draw.

No surprise that most will write off Arsenal straight away. It'll all depend on the fitness of certain players for them, but that's going to be a cracking tie. I actually think they'll push Barca the entire way and could even upset them. For football in general, this should be fantastic.

That all said, Barca/United II is exactly what I want. Revenge for last year, not to mention all the build they'll put on it as Messi versus Rooney. I'd like to think we learned from last year, so I'd LOVE to make it to the final and beat Barcelona. While we've avoided the main big teams, Bayern aren't going to be a walk in the park. Really looking forward to that one.

As fun as that'd be, Utd vs. CSKA will do nicely. :shifty:

• Like 2

That wasn't a bad result, but the way Evra fucked it up in the dying seconds was sickening after all the fine saves from van der Sar.

Plus Rooney limping off the field can't be good. If he's out of either the Chelsea game or the second leg against Bayern, we're fucked. :/

That last goal was a real kick in the balls but they completely deserved it, which just makes things worse. We were poor in possession, couldn't deal with how they pressurised us and rushed everything. On the positive side, 2-1 means we're still in with a fair chance. However, Rooneys injury looks worrying and Bayern will bring Robben and Schweinstieger (no idea if that's spelt right) back in the side. The whole game just made me think of the Barca game in Rome and what would have happened if we grabbed an early goal in the 10 minutes we dominated there - we still would have been outrun in the following 80 minutes and they still would have won.