Crybaby Bunting

41 members have voted

1. 1. Will you get any of the Beatles Remasters?

• I'm getting both boxsets
    • I might get one boxset
    • I'm getting most of the albums
    • I'm getting one or two albums
    • I'll just download them illegally to replace the shoddy origonals
    • No. I don't want to get any of them.
    • What remasters?

So yeah, it's only about a week until 09.09.09 when the Beatles remasters are being released worldwide. The CD originals have been known to be horribly produced despite the master tracks being in immaculate condition, so digitally remastering the master tracks to make them one better is always going to be interesting.

Personally I haven't been this hyped about an album (or sets of albums) for ages, although that could just be because I've been hyping myself up over the past fortnight. The prospect of seeing each individual instrument sound being much clearer (including distortion) is just mouthwatering.

So what about you? Hyped? Lowering your expectations as to not be disappointed? Not bothered?

Edited by The General

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might get a couple of the albums, but I have no desire to get a box set. I primarily like the later years stuff anyway, and don't like the pre-65 stuff enough to buy it. Now to figure out which from the rock era I like best.

Either way, it's a moderate priority for me. I like the Beatles, but I'm not a giant fan.

My best friend meanwhile wants to get the mono box set, when he gets the money for it.

Yeah me also. I don't really have any explanation for it but I've listened to each Beatles album quite a few times over the past week. Nothing to do with the planned reissues. I'm just glad that it has happened at this time.

I've also begun to truly appreciate Sergeant Pepper's over the last week. I mean, I've always liked it but it's never really stood higher than an 8/10 for me or whatever. But now I can understand why so many people say it's the best album ever. Personally I still prefer Rubber Soul, Abbey Road, Revolver and With The Beatles to it but that doesn't mean a great deal given that I prefer those four over nearly every other album ever.

There's a good chance that both the Mono and Vinyl box sets WON'T be limited editions, which might mean that they'll slowly decline over time to a more appetising deal (like how the Nirvana and Pink Floyd sets more than halved in price some times)

But somehow I don't see Beatles CDs ever falling in price (apart from the CD originals which may as well be worthless now ¬_¬)

There's a few of these that have appeared on the net and...well...I took a test listen of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". It is naturally really damn awesome now. Was McCartney on the bass in that one? The bass itself was really gorgeous and just totally added to the song like never before. I imagine people who have heard the rest will not disagree.

I always thought it was because Lennon was obsessed with the number 9. It further reminded me of this when ten years ago, the MTV Video Music Awards took place on 9.9.99, and the ads played a sample of Lennon repeating the date.

I've been listening to Abbey Road which I got just for a 'test', if you will. It's absolutely phenomenal. In all honesty I'm enjoying this album twice as much as I ever have before - and it's always been an album that I've loved.

Bizarrely, it's the tracks I've often overlooked that sound the best. 'She Came In Through The Bathroom Window' sounds like a totally different song. The last four tracks sound incredible.

As for the better known songs, 'Here Comes The Sun' isn't massively different but there's a notable improvement nonetheless. The drums sound incredible on 'Come Together' and 'Something'. Altogether it's brilliant.

I want it so bad. I know what I'm going to spend my first pay packet from my new job on now I think. >_>

EDIT: Oh and as for that common criticism levelled at the Beatles - "their music is has aged terribly" - it's no longer relevant. Not to mention I've always thought it's a pretty stupid thing to say in the first place.

Oh and the hammer effect on 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer' :wub:. and it has acoustic guitar! :o i never noticed that before! :o

Actually the best thing about these remasters may well be the drum fills on 'Oh Darling'.

EDIT no 2. : Actually the drum fills on 'Oh Darling' may well be the best thing ever to happen to music.