College Football 2009 Season thread~!

ROC

I don't see any way that the BCS can find an out this year. NOBODY below Boise St (that isn't a conference champion) has any real argument.

The teams below Boise St:

GT - in as ACC champion (probably the only team that could eek out one of the two at larges that aren't spoken for at the moment should they lose the ACC title game)

Oregon - no, I don't care about anything they could say here. Results, on the field = Boise St beat them, PERIOD.

Pitt - could steal the automatic and thus put Cincy in a possible spoiler role for Boise St .... otherwise a 2nd loss will send them back down the line

Ohio St - Big Ten Rose Bowl rep

Iowa - hard to justify a team that has been inept on offense all year, lost to a Northwestern team that while good shows that Iowa isn't BCS material

Oklahoma St - second best team in the Big 12 by record but won't even be in the conference title game ... biggest win is against a Georgia team that flopped this year and the only other team that's good (Texas) whipped their ass ... oh, and they lost to Houston, at home.

After that you get into 3rd place teams etc. No way in hell an undefeated Boise St team is shut out of a BCS Bowl game this year. No f'n way.

Of course, the BCS will probably shaft TCU/Boise and put them both in the Fiesta Bowl (w/Texas going to the NT game of course).

I see the Fiesta taking Oklahoma St. cause by some standard they will be BCS-worthy in some way and take them to be their Big 12 team. All that would leave is Texas or Cincy not pulling a lame duck and losing next week. But when I look at it, a Texas loss this week followed by a win next week is the best situation for Bosie St., as that would eliminate any chance you have of Oklahoma St. sneaking in the BCS.

My predictions so far right now is:

NC: SEC Champ vs Texas

Sugar: SEC #2 vs Big East Champ/TCU

Orange: ACC Champ vs At-Large/Big East Champ

Rose: Ohio St. vs Pac-10 Champ

Fiesta: Oklahoma St. vs At-Large/TCU

That would leave 2 spots for Bosie to pray for, and I can't see any justification to invite any of GT or Oregon if they dont win their conference, or Penn St. or Iowa over them. So Bosie should be in good shape, and a Texas loss this week would put them in even better shape as that would eliminate Oklahoma St. from any chance at the BCS.

I don't see any justification for Oklahoma St at all. Who did they beat ? Say they win the game against Oklahoma. Does that give them any more merit than it does TCU (who blew out BYU, who beat OK as well) ? Oklahoma St has played two good teams all year and lost both games (houston/Texas).

What basis is there to possibly put them in ? They aren't even going to the conference title game.

The BCS will have to pull some MAJOR bullshit to not put both Boise St/TCU (if both indefeated) into BCS Bowls. They're staring at a disaster either way. They don't want both of them in, but they just about can't keep it from happening.

You could say the same thing last year for Ohio State though. Bosie is going, there is no question about that unless the bowls want a major shitstorm on their hands. But I'm just saying, if Oklahoma St. wins 10 games, and Texas is playing for a National Title, the Fiesta will take Oklahoma St., no matter who they lost to, because of the conference they play in. The question is who gets that last spot, seeing Oklahoma St and Bosie is likely gonna lock up two spots.

Oklahoma St is going to the Cotton Bowl (if they win the Bedlam game)... Boise St will get more people for the Fiesta plus there's the recent victory over Oklahoma in Tempe that the Broncos have.

Outside of "hey a big 12 team with 10 wins" there is NOTHING inticing about OkSt. They won't draw like Boise St will (in the Fiesta Bowl). There's no reason for the Fiesta to invite them. Boise St will bring more the the table than OkSt.

and uh, Ohio St were co champions of the Big Ten last year. We're talking about a NON BCS conference team here. Not a BCS conference school. Huge difference.

You just said Oklahoma State won't draw like Boise State, when Oklahoma State have 50,000+ for every home game. I'm done trying to convince you, cause that just don't make any sense.

You have no idea how this all works do you ?

See: Meacon's post ...

Oklahoma State will draw in Cowboys fans. But Boise State would draw in people that want to see another major upset like a few years back with the Statue of Liberty play. Cinderella stories get more of an audience than a random Big 12 team would.

OkSt has been the "almost ran" for like 5 years now in the Big 12. Sure, this year they'll get the loyalists and a handful of other people to the game. However, they have no national appeal and nobody outside of the OkSt circle will really give a rat's ass about them.

Boise St on the other hand, has been on the national forefront for the last 5 years due to having multiple undefeated teams and always challenging the BCS higherarchy and "rules." They went to the Fiesta Bowl a couple of years ago and beat one of the most storied teams in the history of college football. They've won a BCS Bowl game from the "outside" and have once again shown up to the end of the season without a loss. They've got national appeal and are a MUCH better story than the two loss Cowpokes.

It's not hard.

In action last night, to change the subject for a moment ... wow did Longhorn have to sweat it out ! HA HA, Aggie showed up and made it a fun night. Mike Sherman has those boys on the right track. next few years should be a good ride.