College Football 2009 Season thread~!

ROC

Why do the new Gators uniforms look like they include ass-less chaps?

Yuck. I liked the helmets (the regular orange ones that say Gators I've always thought were fugly), but those pants were horrible. Looked more like crotchless panty hose than chaps, though.

Notre Dame still has to pay Weis the rest of his contract, so he wouldn't necessarily have to take another job right away if he didn't want to.

And apparently 6 different NFL teams have contacted him about being their offensive coordinator next year.

anyone else see the USC/UCLA game ?

LOL at the :44 left in the game mark.

I don't blame SC. UCLA called the time out, which means you think you can get back in the game and still want to play football. SC went for the jugular, and got the dagger. If you want to play football, you gotta play defense. No problems with how it went down.

Did I actually see someone say that TCU didn't have a shot at the NC? If Texas falls (doubtful, but a possibility), then TCU is in. They're already ahead of Cincy, and Pittsburgh losing didn't help Cincy. You want to see Cinderella? Back the Huskers.

anyone else see the USC/UCLA game ?

LOL at the :44 left in the game mark.

I don't blame SC. UCLA called the time out, which means you think you can get back in the game and still want to play football. SC went for the jugular, and got the dagger. If you want to play football, you gotta play defense. No problems with how it went down.

Did I actually see someone say that TCU didn't have a shot at the NC? If Texas falls (doubtful, but a possibility), then TCU is in. They're already ahead of Cincy, and Pittsburgh losing didn't help Cincy. You want to see Cinderella? Back the Huskers.

Agree 100% with that. I've got no problem with that bomb.

Yeah, shitstorm central if Bama beats Florida and Texas goes down. It isn't that far fetched. TCU is locked into that 4th (or higher) position. Cincy isn't catching them.

Honestly, if Florida doesn't win they'll only drop to three and I hate to admit that. Bama might but the only way I see TCU moving up is with a Texas loss combined with the SEC title game. Even then it'll probably only be to three which really, really sucks. MAYBE with a blow out in one of the two (with Texas losing).

I just don't see it with the mancruchloveasslickingofFloridaandTebow that has existed this year.

I want the bowl schedule already.

I'm not sure I can agree with that.

Looking at the top 5 teams in the Pac, the only non conference win they've got is against Ohio St (by USC). The other four haven't won a big game outside of the Pac. Oregon's best is a 7pt win over Utah, Oregon St lost to Cincy, Stanford lost to Wake Forest, Cal beat Minnesota (and blew out 2 win Maryland) ... there's just nothing impressive about any of that.

The SEC top 5: Florida's best is against FSU (I've always stated they don't schedule), Bama beat VT, LSU beat Washington, Ole Miss beat Memphis, Arkansas beat A&M ... that's at least as good, if not better.

10 of the 12 SEC teams have 7 or more wins and then you've got Vandy and Miss St. In the Pac 6 of the 10 have 7 or more wins but you've got 3 with losing records and UCLA at .500

It isn't just the SEC that is down this year, all the conferences are. I'm not sure that any conference is that much better than any other this year. It's clear that the Big 12 isn't in the discussion this year, and the Big 10 has slipped some more. If anything, the Mountain West gained ground on the BCS guys this year.

It's really hard to determine what conference is the best especially in a year when they all seemed to have stumbled.

Edited by HailtotheKing

It's not so much that conferences are stumbling, it's just that talent's spreading out a bit more. Five-star recruits are realizing that going to an Oklahoma or Miami or Florida State just to sit on the bench for two years may not be their only option.

I'm thinking we're going to be seeing more Mountain West (and even some other WAC programs besides Boise...maybe some MAC, but I doubt it) programs start knocking on the door in the near future.

It's just like I wrote about Notre Dame...the same five schools aren't getting all the exposure in the Internet age, so recruits can go anywhere and get noticed. Notre Dame's pet TV network isn't THAT big of a recruiting tool when just about every game gets covered by some offshoot of Fox Sports Net or ESPN, or some conference's own network.

We may just be seeing a good dose of that thing that's been badmouthed in the NFL off and on for two decades...parity. :o

Notre Dame has a bigger "problem" than most other schools.

You simply aren't going to get the "athlete" at ND anymore when they have to be the "student" that Notre Dame requires. Of all of the major colleges, their athletes

meet the highest academic standard as far as being admitted to the school. In terms of this conversation, that's the biggest problem they are facing. What's hurting

them even more, is that the Florida State's of the world are now producing Rhodes Scholars and the like.

As for the TV deal, I partially agree. It isn't what it was before, however it is still a pretty big deal knowing that even if you stink you are on national TV

EVERY WEEK, unopposed. It's one thing to be on ESPN 8 in five states in the Midwest, but quite another to be front and center on NBC each Saturday. It's changing

certainly but for the "big time" athlete I think that the TV deal is still a pretty enticing piece of the puzzle. But then it reverts back to the academics of it, literally.

The NCAA should just pony up, grow a pair, and make them join the Big East.

I'll be really interested to see how much of a run ND makes at Jim Harbaugh, since I'm sort of seeing any future Stanford success as being the worst possible thing for Notre Dame.

Stanford operates under academic standards just as rigorous, if not more so, than ND's, and if Harbaugh can keep that program winning and moving upward, it's going to make ND's next coach look even worse if they continue to struggle.

^ 100% nail on the head.

Being in California certainly doens't hurt either. Hey 17 to 19 yr old male with a brain and talent, want to go to school in California and play ball, or Indiana ? Uh yeah.

Oh, and Hofstra is dropping football.

Edited by HailtotheKing

We should start to see come interesting conference realignments in the DI-AA and DI-AAA conferences over the coming years with this probably not being the last school to drop football. With Hofstra and and Northeastern no longer having football teams, it's hard to justify them being in the Colonial Athletic Conference based on their locations.

300px-ColonialAthleticAssociationLocations.png