College Football 2009 Season thread~!

ROC

The Mangino issues go far deeper than how he treated his football team. This does mean that Kansas can go back to being Kansas now.

Agree to disagree on the SEC/Pac 10 issue, HttK. The Pac 10 records might not be as glitzy, but I'd argue it'd have a lot to do with the fact that they play tougher out of conference schedules. UCLA might be 6-6, but they went TO Tennessee and beat them, and beat Kansas State, who was in the running for the Big XII North title until their last game. That's a lot different than playing Chattanooga and FIU.

Oh God, the late season bullshit with 'Bama/Florida pisses me off to no end. It's a joke. But let's be honest. The Pac does it too. EVERY BCS conference does.

I don't remember UNLV/San Jose State/Eastern Washington/Northern Arizona/San Diego State/Idaho State/L Monroe being in any danger of being a "quality opponent."

You and I can sit here and skew things in order to fit our viewpoints on it. Yeah, UCLA beat Kansas State (who was in the running for the Big 12 title until their last game) ... by the way, Kansas St isn't bowl eligible. So how good is that really ?

We can both point to shit opponents on the schedule, and good opponents on the schedule.

For me, the biggest thing is that outside of USC .... who in the Pac has beaten a top 1/2/3 in another BCS conference ? USC is the only team that's done it regularly in the last ten years. The SEC has had a regular rotation of teams (Florida/Auburn/Bama/Tenn/UGA/LSU) doing that.

But, to make one thing clear ... I'm QUICKLY losing my opinion on the SEC due to not just who, but WHERE they schedule.

It hasn't happened since UCLA's been down, but they have a respectable record against top teams in BCS conferences. Washington also regularly plays top teams out of conference, as does Cal. The Arizona schools recently played LSU. You can't even compare Pac 10 OOC schedules to the SEC, especially considering that the Pac 10 is willing to leave the west coast to play (;)).

I also wouldn't compare MWC and WAC schools to the Sun Belt teams that the SEC plays. UNLV/SDSU/SJSU would likely go undefeated in the Sun Belt, it wasn't that long ago that San Jose was a bowl team. Thats not even including the games against Utah, Boise, BYU, and Fresno that regularly dot Pac 10 schedules, and which you neglected to mention. To be fair and balanced, however, the FCS schools in the south are probably better than the ones in the west.

If you put it all together, no BCS conference schedules like the Pac 10. It's not even comparable.

And just because it'll make me feel better... UCLA might be 6-6, but not one of those is a 'bad loss'. All six losses are to bowl eligible teams above them in the Pac 10.

I broke it down, and the most revealing numbers are this.

PAC10 OOC:

Top 25 Teams (end of season) = 5

1-AA schools = 4

BSC conference opponents = 11 w/record of 78-53

Top 25 BCS (end of season) = 5

Teams w/8 or more wins = 6

ND was on 4 schedules <_<

SEC OOC:

Top 25 Teams (end of season) = 6

1-AA schools = 10

BCS conference opponents = 11 w/record of 79-62

BCS top 25 (end of season) = 4

Teams w/8 or more wins = 5

The state of Louisiana schools not named LSU take a beating <_<

It's pretty damned even. The Pac has a slight edge in these numbers but it isn't like they're stellar either. Oddly enough, if the Pac teams that the SEC played didn't suck [comment based on record] (ArzSt/Wash/UCLA) that BCS opponent record would be much better. They account for a third of the losses in that number.

If we want to delve into what the opponents have done recently, Louisiana Tech won 8 games last year. That doesn't mean anything though.

You hit the nail on the head though. It's the fact that the Pac will actually leave the West Coast to play a game. The SEC hardly leaves their respective state, let alone the region. THAT is the biggest difference.

But uh, in reality ... The ACC kicks both their asses .... so it's kind of a moot point really.

TCU (2)

Midd TenST (2)

South Carolina (2)

Notre Dame

Central Mich

BYU

Florida

South Florida

Baylor

Stanford

Navy

Pitt

Cal

Rutgers

Miss St

Vandy

Georgia

Bama

Nebraska

East Carolina (2)

Oklahoma

UCF

Uconn

Kansas

Southern Miss

Indiana

Yes, it was an excellent game between the two with Tony Pike proving again to be the best quarterback in the Big East, if not among one of the top five in college football along with McCoy, Tebow, Keenum, and LeFevour. Now I am rooting for Nebraska, because someone's gotta lose in the Florida/Alabama game and I want to know if TCU would get the nod or if Cincinatti would. As it looks right now, probably Cincy, because their win over Pitt will be huge in the BCS ratings, but nobody can predict that shit.

One second seperates Colt McCoy from being the biggest fucktard in the history of college football and subsequently my favorite player ever. Had that ball floated at all, biggest boner ever and the biggest BCS mess ever. But no, somehow/someway the BCS has paid off God.

On the flip side though, amazing finishes to the ACC/Big 12/Conf USA title games ... PLAYOFF FOOTBALL, eat it BCS.