Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides

TKz

During Disney's D23 Expo, Johnny Depp appeared in full Jack Sparrow costume to announce the fourth "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie will be released during the Summer of 2011 and that it will be called "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides."

We already know that Jack Sparrow and Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) will be searching for the fountain of youth in the fourth film, which is why it is believed that the "On Stranger Tides" subtitle means that the new movie will be adapting Tim Power's novel that carries the same name.

Plot of the book: Puppeteer John Chandagnac, who was sailing to Jamaica to get revenge on the uncle who had stolen his father's inheritance, has no choice but to join the buccaneers who have taken him prisoner--and soon, known now as the pirate Jack Shandy, he finds himself learning to survive in a treacherous new world of cutlass-fights, sea-battles, and voodoo magic on sun-blinded tropical islands. The legendary Blackbeard is assembling a ruthless navy of pirates living and undead to voyage to the fabled Fountain of Youth, and Jack Shandy must use magic, swordsmanship, and even his puppeteer skills to free himself and the girl he has fallen in love with from Blackbeard's deadly supernatural domination.

Just to tell, I loved the first film, enjoyed the second, enjoyed the first half of the third but am quite looking forward to the fourth.

So... we're getting rid of Orlando Bloom's character (Which, you'll hear no complaints from me) and Keira Nightly's and replacing them with two characters that sound basically the same. >_> I was really hoping for much more Barbossa and Jack thanks to the removal of Keira and Bloom. Can't wait to find out who they get to play Blackbeard, I can see quite a big and possibly british actor taking the role. I'd love to see Gary Oldman take a shot at it.

No..the guy who played the dwarf in LOTR. John-Rhys Davies. I think he'd do good

I've enjoyed all three POTC movies and I'm excited to see what they do with this. Getting rid of Bloom and Knightly was necessary, as there is absolutely nothing else to do with them really, at least Knightly. I could see Bloom's character making an appearance if they decide to continue the movies further after this though.

As for the new characters, the Puppeteer thing sounds interesting but it really depends on the actors brought in. I thought both Bloom and Knightly worked extremely well with Depp, so as long as they can find an actor and actress that do the same I don't see any problems.

It'd be nice to focus a good portion of the movie on Rush and Depp though, their characters are awesome together and I thought Cpt. Barbosa was one of the best parts of the third POTC movie for sure.

Edited by Hellfire

I also loved the Pirates series and I even enjoyed number three quite a bit. I'm not sad to see Kiera or Bloom go for the moment, their characters were never all that entertaining. I, too, hope we get plenty of Rush and Depp; the two have insane chemistry. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one works out. Also, this will come out around the same time as Avengers, won't it? Two blockbusters really going for the head-to-head.

I also loved the Pirates series and I even enjoyed number three quite a bit. I'm not sad to see Kiera or Bloom go for the moment, their characters were never all that entertaining. I, too, hope we get plenty of Rush and Depp; the two have insane chemistry. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one works out. Also, this will come out around the same time as Avengers, won't it? Two blockbusters really going for the head-to-head.

Well, I wouldn't really say they're going to be going head to head. Assuming they come out in the same year, both at Summer, which I think IS the plan, I really doubt we'll see both films released in the same week, let alone the same day. It'll defintley be interesting to see who draws in the most, but while I do think that POTC 4 will do well, against something the size of The Avengers I don't think it'll exactly be a heated competition with the level of stars that seem to be attatched to Avengers.

No..the guy who played the dwarf in LOTR. John-Rhys Davies. I think he'd do good

That was the one who immediately came to mind when I read about Blackbeard.

As for the movie itself... Well, I loved the first one, the second was good, not great, and the third was a great big "meh". Hope this one goes on to achieve greatness again.

No one else thinking Brian Blessed for Blackbeard? Probably not...

Eh, not a bad idea. I'd be interested in seeing his portrayal, for sure.

A little random but I'd love to see David Wenham get the new main character role. I think he'd be a great fit for a Pirates of the Caribbean film.

• 2 weeks later...

Blackbeard has to be Blessed (especially as we miss out on Blessed as Robert Baratheon in the Song of Ice And Fire series! A role for which he'd be even more perfect). I was going to say him as soon as the question came up. Coltrane would also be good. John Rhys-Davies, not so much...

• 2 weeks later...