General Television Thread

Hellfire

I don't know why I'm still watching Ultimate Spider-Man, but I am. And I fucking hate hate hate the "spider-cycle", much in the same way that I hate that motorcycle robot thing Superboy has in Young Justice - it's tacky, shameless, and it feels like it was just thrown in as a merchandising thing. HEY KIDS, GET YOUR SPIDER-MAN WITH SPIDER-CYCLE NOW NOW NOW FOR THE LOW PRICE OF $8.99! YOU DON'T WANNA MISS THIS!

They didn't destroy it already? I don't think I'm going to last the season watching this.

The first 5 minutes of the new episode involved him tooling around on it. I was really hoping they wouldn't go with it - what with Spidey even making fun of it and saying it wasn't "for him" or whatever when it was first introduced. Plus, how stupid is it that he has a motorcycle when he can just websling anywhere he wants?

Also hated the characterization of Venom. I probably won't last the season either.

I watch because the writing is decent, but yeah, this really doesn't feel like a Spidey show so much as it feels like an excuse to have Spider-Man be on screen with a team. The thing that annoys me most is that it's called Ultimate Spider-Man, but save for Nick Fury being black and wearing trench coats, this is not the Ultimate Spider-Man I've known and loved. Venom felt completely off... although I liked the nod to the current Venom comic in the Venom episode (no spoilers).

Toss-up for me, though I doubt I'll be a hardcore viewer.

I don't know why I'm still watching Ultimate Spider-Man, but I am. And I fucking hate hate hate the "spider-cycle", much in the same way that I hate that motorcycle robot thing Superboy has in Young Justice - it's tacky, shameless, and it feels like it was just thrown in as a merchandising thing. HEY KIDS, GET YOUR SPIDER-MAN WITH SPIDER-CYCLE NOW NOW NOW FOR THE LOW PRICE OF $8.99! YOU DON'T WANNA MISS THIS!

They didn't destroy it already? I don't think I'm going to last the season watching this.

The first 5 minutes of the new episode involved him tooling around on it. I was really hoping they wouldn't go with it - what with Spidey even making fun of it and saying it wasn't "for him" or whatever when it was first introduced. Plus, how stupid is it that he has a motorcycle when he can just websling anywhere he wants?

Also hated the characterization of Venom. I probably won't last the season either.

I watch because the writing is decent, but yeah, this really doesn't feel like a Spidey show so much as it feels like an excuse to have Spider-Man be on screen with a team. The thing that annoys me most is that it's called Ultimate Spider-Man, but save for Nick Fury being black and wearing trench coats, this is not the Ultimate Spider-Man I've known and loved. Venom felt completely off... although I liked the nod to the current Venom comic in the Venom episode (no spoilers).

Toss-up for me, though I doubt I'll be a hardcore viewer.

I watched the show for the first time this week and didn't like it. The Spider-Cycle is dumb. Anytime they give Spider-Man a vehicle it's dumb. Why does a guy who can web-sling everywhere need a vehicle? Obviously it's to try and sell more toys. But the Spider-Cycle sucks and so does the Spider-Mobile. I also don't really like the team either. Spider-Man is supposed to appear in Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes this season along with Wolverine. I don't think the shows exist in the same continuity though. It will be nice to see the New Avengers on screen.

Edited by Don Ready Slacker

Not sure if anyone's watching but I'd really recommend "Person of Interest" on CBS. Its wrapping up it's first season and it's pretty been good. Good acting. Michael Emerson is still god. Jim Caviezel is such a bad-ass. Also doesn't have that shitty background music that bugs the hell outta me. It's probably the best show that's come out this season.

• Like 1

It's bad. Real bad.

Also, in sad news only Benji and I (and maybe Don Ready Slacker?) care about, Disney's talking about cancelling Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes at the end of season 2 and replacing it with an Ultimate Avengers show that would tie-in to Ultimate Spider-Man. Ughhhh.

I really want to like 2 Broke Girls, but it's not filling me with any hope. Dumb jokes with dumb people does not make enthralling TV.

I would just drop it now and save yourself the trouble.

It's bad. Real bad.

Also, in sad news only Benji and I (and maybe Don Ready Slacker?) care about, Disney's talking about cancelling Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes at the end of season 2 and replacing it with an Ultimate Avengers show that would tie-in to Ultimate Spider-Man. Ughhhh.

:angry: That's terrible news.

Ricky Gervais should do The Ricky Gervais Show and nothing else ever again.

(More Karl Pilkington travel specials would also be acceptable.)

I'm always torn on Gervais. I love his writing, but his performing just doesn't seem funny to me. I really want to like his performances, because he seems like he's a really good bloke, but I just don't think he's got anywhere near the comedic timing talent that he does for writing.

I think he had one great idea in The Office and then one fairly good idea in Extras and in terms of scripted entertainment he's not got much else.

I'm always torn on Gervais. I love his writing, but his performing just doesn't seem funny to me. I really want to like his performances, because he seems like he's a really good bloke, but I just don't think he's got anywhere near the comedic timing talent that he does for writing.

The problem I have with that, and I agree with you that as a performer he's not great, is that I find other people performing his bits to be kind of painful. It feels like they're doing a Ricky Gervais impersonation. Life's Too Short really suffered from this. I watched Derek the other day and I'd say that was actually pretty good, though not amazingly funny. I felt it really captured the REAL Britain really well. The characters were all believable, likeable and I felt like I knew people just like them. Derek himself was really pretty good, again I'm not sure Gervais has the acting chops to pull it off, but he really captured the niceness of (well, not disabled APPARENTLY) a fairly simple minded guy.

I liked it. I don't think I'd watch whole series' of it and I'm not sure how well it would come across outside of the UK, but it worked really well for me. Also Karl was brilliant.

The New Girl may be my favorite new show in television. While it's not laugh out loud hysterical as other comedies I enjoy there is a certain undeniable charm to it. It might be Zooey Deschanel, or it might just be how enjoyable the three roommates are (specifically Schmidt). Either way it might be the half-hour comedy I most look forward to these days.

• Like 1

I'll deny the charm. It's fucking awful.

Yeah, it's really fucking bad. From the pilot, the whole thing I got was that it was these three dicks (I literally couldn't stand any of her friends) teaching Zooey Deschanel how to be attractive and not a loser. ZOOEY DESCHANEL.

I mean, 2 Broke Girls is pretty bad, but at least it isn't insulting my intelligence levels of bad.

Also Don't Trust The Bitch in Apartment 23 is wonderful. And not just because oh my god I just want to hug Dreama Walker for all the rest of time. :wub:

The Enterprise theme song is abysmal. Who told them this was a good idea?

The Star Trek one? Yeah, it's pretty fucking terrible. I tried to watch that show again the other month, and it's somehow aged worse than any of the other Star Treks despite being much newer.

The Enterprise theme song is abysmal. Who told them this was a good idea?

The Star Trek one? Yeah, it's pretty fucking terrible. I tried to watch that show again the other month, and it's somehow aged worse than any of the other Star Treks despite being much newer.

Archer is a very bland captain.