MLB Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Wow. Did anyone see what they showed on Baseball Tonight regarding Vladimir Guerrero? They showed him displaying his arm strength, probably by a bet or something, before the game. He stood at 3rd base and he threw it over the fence in right field. Insane. I'm an Angels fan, a Vlad fan, and I know what he can do, but that was just insane. If you missed it they'll probably show it at the beginning of the Yanks/Angels highlights on SportsCenter tonight. Damn, I'm still in awe.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be going to one of the Jay games in NY in September. I'm hoping they do play the role of spoilers. I want a couple of young September call ups tossing 3 hit shutout ball for 8 innings.

Speaking of which....watch out for Kazmir when the D-Rays make their 5 game trip to the Bronx Labor Day weekend. The guy the Mets traded is being called up from Double A already by the Rays. Wouldn't it be something if this comes into Yankee stadium tosses a great game leaving the Mets to answer questions while Zambrano so is sitting on the DL.

In typical Mets fashion Scott Kazmir pitched 5 shutout innings for the Devil Rays. This was bound to happen and what will drive the Mets even more crazy is if Kazmir comes into Yankee stadium Labor Day weekend and has a strong outing. Meanwhile.....Victor Zambrano sits on the DL and watches.

Ted Lilly had one hell of a start against the surging Boston Red Sox. Complete Game three hit shutout striking out 13. It was the second time this season he had 10 Ks in a game he started against Pedro Martinez this season. The 13 Ks also set franchise records for most by a lefty. He also struck out 6 straight at one point.

Lilly's start last night was the best by a BlueJays pitcher in a season and a half at least. Halladay had some great ones last year but Lilly was untouchable last night. Did anyone see that wicked curve? No one could even get close to it! I remember one K where he made David Ortiz look foolish, it was great!

Adrian Beltre hit his 41st home run last night, he's hitting .338, is fourth in the NL with 95 RBIs and the Dodgers have been a surprise team (not as much as St. Louis) this year in the National League. How does he rank as a candidate for NL MVP with Rolen, Pujols, and Bonds (even if the Giants miss the playoffs)?

I'd say he'll finish 2nd or 3rd because the Cardinal trio will split the vote, unless one of them goes nuts in the last month. I do however have to wonder where this power surge is coming from (already 18 more HR's than his previous career high) given that he plays 1/2 his games at Dodger Stadium. Having said all that, I still see Bonds picking up MVP # 7 by a fairly wide margin.

I'd say he'll finish 2nd or 3rd because the Cardinal trio will split the vote, unless one of them goes nuts in the last month. I do however have to wonder where this power surge is coming from (already 18 more HR's than his previous career high) given that he plays 1/2 his games at Dodger Stadium. Having said all that, I still see Bonds picking up MVP # 7 by a fairly wide margin.

I see the MVP going to Bonds also since the Cards have 3 star players and the Giants really only have one in Bonds. Though Jason Schmidt is a great pitcher.

I'd also like to see Beltre win. He is hitting very well and has come out of nowhere to do it. I don't want to see any Cardinals player take it, despite their numbers. With them having Rolen, Pujols and Edmonds, it makes it hard for one of them to be completely valuable to their team.

On another note, the American League MVP should go to either Ichiro or Vladimir Guerrero

This has been expected of Beltre since he got brought up, he's just finally fulfilling his potential. I just hope we can keep him around.

As for not having anyone else in the lineup, Steve Finley, Milton Bradley, and Shaun Green have all been playing well.

How is the NL MVP even a question? It's plain and simple. Barry Lamar Bonds. Do I really need to remind you guys of his numbers? He has absolutely nothing protecting him in the lineup compared to the Cardinals guys. He's been walked 180 something times. He's 60 more Intentional Walks then any other team.

Cardinals activate Ankiel

Sports Ticker

9/1/2004

ST. LOUIS (Ticker) - Former St. Louis Cardinals phenom Rick Ankiel has completed his arduous road back to the major leagues.

The Cardinals on Wednesday activated the 25-year-old Ankiel from the 15-day disabled list. The lefthander's next appearance with St. Louis will be his first since the 2001 campaign.

Ankiel was 12-10 with a 3.84 ERA in three seasons with the Cardinals before undergoing elbow surgery following the 2001 campaign. After not playing in 2002, he went 2-6 with a 6.29 ERA and 49 walks over 54 1/3 minor league innings last year.

At the age of 21, Ankiel was 11-7 with a 3.50 ERA as a member of St. Louis' starting rotation in 2000. His control mysteriously vanished in the playoffs that year, however, and the problems continued into the next season. In six starts in 2001, he was 1-2 with a 7.13 ERA with 25 walks in 24 innings.

In the minors this season, his control appears to have returned. Over three levels, he walked just two batters in 23 2/3 innings. In his lone Class AAA start Sunday, he did not issue a walk over six innings, allowing just one hit and an unearned run in a win against Oklahoma.

Prior to making his major league debut in 1999, Ankiel was regarded as the top pitching prospect in the game. He went 13-3 with a 2.36 ERA and 194 strikeouts in 137 innings between Class AA Arkansas and Class AAA Memphis that year and was named SportsTicker's Minor League Player of the Year.

Edited by sahyder1

How is the NL MVP even a question? It's plain and simple. Barry Lamar Bonds. Do I really need to remind you guys of his numbers? He has absolutely nothing protecting him in the lineup compared to the Cardinals guys. He's been walked 180 something times. He's 60 more Intentional Walks then any other team.

I think that because Adrian Beltre's contribution to the Dodgers, the fact that he has more home runs, and that the Dodgers are in first in the same division, with worse pitching, and arguably barely a better lineup then San Francisco, puts him over the top.

Of course, I hate the Giants, their battery chucking fans, and everything they stand for.