The Thick of It

therockbox

Hmm.

I saw In The Loop and wasn't particularly entertained for great extended periods of it. As such, I've not been compelled to try The Thick of It either.

I guess I'll just have to go back to watching my Yes Minister DVDs... :shifty:

"I feel like my head's made entirely of smoke alarms".

...watching it now. Going to be interesting - not only because it's a new episode of one of my favourite shows on the tellybox, but also because I really can't recall Armando Iannucci having written a strong female character before. Ever.

"He thinks of himself more as a kind of thin white Mugabe."

"Knife-addled rape-sheds"

Edited by Skummy

It's very slow...as kind of expected, I suppose, though the individual scenes seem to be cut shorter than in the first series. Can't get quite other new woman reminding me a bit too much of my ex's Mum.

It's very good, but having come from the specials, it's a complete change of pace - the last we saw of the Thick Of It was much larger in scope, and utterly frantic, while in the first series really nothing actually ever happened, for the most part - but Chris Langham was much better at looking knackered with the whole affair than anyone else, and it's amazing how much the absence of that pervading sense of exhaustion actually hurts the show.

"Omni-shambles"

"Keep banging away at it like Charles Hawtrey on a sleeping guardsman".

I have to say, though, Malcolm's dialogue doesn't seem nearly as natural as it used to - it's still great, but feels a lot more forced into metaphors than before. Again, maybe it's the change of pace, though. Just as I type that, "don't kill yourself, though...well, not over this", the delivery of which almost makes up for it. Still, can't wait until Malcolm inevitably ends up with things not going his way - he's always at his best when up against the wall.

Edited by Skummy

"I really enjoyed your novel.....way of writing a fucking awful story".

<3

"today you have laid your first big egg of solid fuck"

Edited by Skummy

• 3 weeks later...

Latest episode is probably the best of the series. Absolutely brilliant - I love the opposition being involved again, I love Peter Manion, and Will Smith as Phil is just perfect - local boy done good.

And a good bit of PR spin doctoring at the end too, a proper bastard ending. Beautiful.

Edited by Skummy

Caught up on the last two episodes, Malcolm giving Phil a bollocking was brilliant. Loved the shot of Ollie looking through the door, pissing himself.

"You breathe a word of this, you mincing fucking cunt, and I will tear your skin off, wear it to your mother's birthday party, and rub your nuts up and down her leg while whistling Bohemian Rhapsody."

I've only been watching the third series but it's pretty good so far. Tucker absolutely destroying someone is always impressive. I can't decide if him making Gaystacks stand in the corner was more terrifying than when he threatened Will Smith at the radio place or not, but holy shit I'd hate to have him as my boss. I wanna watch the film now, to see how the fuck Tony Soprano deals with him >_>

I could write for hours on last weeks episode, but all I'll say is god damn, someone give Capaldi an award of some sort, that closing moment of him walking out and screaming "You will see me again" sent shivers down my spine. Honestly, that was possibly the most iconic moment in British television since the David Brent dance.

Just about to watch last programme of the series now!

:) but also very much :(

Me and another guy at work have claimed the telly during lunch break tomorrow to watch the first special episode of it. One of the good bits about working in hmv is you can borrow stuff from the shop for lunch breaks :)

Oh and Malcolm's still my favourite but I wish they got Fletcher in a bit earlier. He's such a fan-dabi-dozi character.