EA Sports MMA

IDOL

I just KO'd one of the cans they throw at you as Strikeforce champ, fight started, left head kick, he was stunned, right head kick, he went down, fight over.

Just picked this up yesterday. 11-0, ready to face Tim Sylvia for the UFL title. Beasting dudes, due to high wrestling stats and the one choke from side mount. If I take a dude down and get to side mount, it's over. My stand-up, in training, is good, but not in actual fights.

Fun game, though. Well worth the $20 bucks I spent on it.

Just picked this up yesterday. 11-0, ready to face Tim Sylvia for the UFL title. Beasting dudes, due to high wrestling stats and the one choke from side mount. If I take a dude down and get to side mount, it's over. My stand-up, in training, is good, but not in actual fights.

Fun game, though. Well worth the $20 bucks I spent on it.

I only lost twice in my career. Both times I was caught by a guillotine when I shot in for a takedown. Watch out for it.

The submission defense 3 drill is impossible for me. Probably because my character is a brawler and I mostly do the drill to try to improve his ground game as it's a HUGE weak point.

Ironically, when I faced Shamrock, Ken didn't even try to take me down and despite my character looking like he lost all the skin on his left cheek I still won. Kenny was one of only two people I haven't finished in the first and one of the few to cut me.

Also ironically, before I faced Kenny, I actually won a match via armbar despite having like 35 in arm submissions.I learned it mostly as a defense mechanism but now I'm glad I did.

I got this today from a Bargin bin. First impression is very good. I like that you can´t just go in and punsh like crazy for an instand win (maybe that will happen wen i played as often as i did the UFC games, on the other hand i won almost every fight without any training) and i love that submissions feel like something you can actualy get better at. (right now i suck at the cyrcle submission)

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

I still can't do choke holds. I just don't understand it. I usually avoid the shit out of them. If I get caught in one, I try to just ride it out and wait until it automatically reverses. It's a bitch <_<

I wish this game had Firo Pro like sliders, or something. I've had a few awesome back and forth fights, then one sided fights in my favor and the CPUs on different difficulties. If there is sequel, it could benefit from things like the last UFC game had, title mode/defense, tournaments, etc.

still got this in the wrapping as it unfortunately joined my vast back-log of games. Might whip it out this weekend and give it a whirl! Hopefully it's a bit different to UFC Undisputed, loved it but don't want to be playing a carbon copy.

So ironically, playing this for the first time since I asked about straight-up KOs, and win in ten seconds. Touch gloves, blocked uppercut, Superman Punch knocks my opponent completely backwards, like he was going to make a snow angel.

A glorious KO indeed for my LHW, Joe Kerr.

I had my first Onlinematch earlyer today. I was about 1/2 of the hit acuracy my oponend had. Yet i still won because wen he had me down he got cocky and dident finish me. Lucky Punch FTW. I think i should retire with a record of 100% >__>

Also took a look at the Live Onlinegame Casting. It´s interesting and shows that they trust in their fight system... yet still found it a bit boring to watch, but one match is only one match.

Finished my Carrer, i lost like 6 fights all in all, i hope you can set a higher dificulty for that mode... it could use a bit more stuff happening asides from training, fighting, training but all in all it feels a lot smother than UFCs mode. - My final fight was the very first one punch KO i had.

The only thing were i miss UFC a lot is with the KOs and Submissions... not in game play (hell no!) but in how it looks. EA MMA feels less fluent. UFC in genneral looks better, but the fights ending is the only thing were i miss it a lot. (and maybe some of the fighter damage model).

I figured out the choackhold submissions, at least in the easy offline play i had untill now it´s simple. Actualy compared to UFC i feel a lot more endangert in standup (prolly caused by me sucking at switching betwen atack and defence)... with propper submission skills on the fighter i did not loose once to a submission after understanding the system.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Joe Kerr went undefeated at 40-0. 19-0 now with my second run at HW, this time Strikeforce is my major league. Last fight was a domination of Werdum, countered all his takedowns and eventually finished him off with a liver shot -> G&P. Ironically I trained submission defense for this fight (and simulating excersizes is actually useful compared to UFC!) and it never came to play. Lashley is next so I plan to build up my striking power more, well on my way to maxing out standup stats.

I hate the clinch system, getting blocked once rapes your stamina.

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently there's a bug in Career Mode where in your title match in the UK league there's a small chance that the game will not recognize it as a title match properly (even though the bout will be 5 rounds), and the game will freeze after the match regardless of the outcome. Only fix to this seems to be to completely restart your career.

Might be just as lightweight though, because I went through that league for a LHW and a MW with no issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Got this the other day. Most fun I've had with a sports game in a long time.

Finished my career as a HW today, going undefeated through to the end. My Lightweight fighter isn't having much luck. I decided to go to the league with the single 20-minute round, and I've been having a hell of a time, barely eking out victories in the dying minutes. My fighter has an enormous glass jaw and absolutely no stamina retention (the two places I'm obviously focusing my efforts at the moment), so that's the big issue. I just had back-to-back rematch fights that each went to the final minute. In the first one, I managed to catch a lucky break and start pounding out knee strikes in the thai clinch for the TKO victory. Second one ended a bit more on my terms with a step-up armbar.

Read that the sequel for this game is not a matter of if, but when. Quite pleased with that; I'll even pay full price for that one. EA Sports have sold me on this one.

(That said, when I went 40-0, I feel like a great section of the audience were saying "Yeah, that's all well and good, but how would he stack up in the UFC?" :shifty:)

So basically I've discovered that for choke submissions, the sweet spot is more or less the same for you and your opponent: So if your defense/offense is vastly better than their offense/defense, you can overpower them just by going to the sweet spot as they find it.

However, if you only want to boost up one submission skill, make it leg submissions, as they increase much faster than the other two.

And EVERY fighter should have catch punch and major pass. Both abilities are valuable in the ground game. The inverted kneebar seems to be a guaranteed submission but hard to set up.

Definitely agree on the major pass. I've finished many a fight while in rubber guard, attempting the gogoplata while waiting for my opponent to try and pass - which, succeed or fail, they seem to become vulnerable to submission attempts. I've managed to get fairly good at chokeholds (currently playing as a judoist, so he's naturally good at chokes anyhow), so that usually means the finish, provided I can get it locked in tight.