Your favourite players for the club you support

0,,10339~3211168,00.jpg

Marco Gabbiadini

A class above the entire division when he played for us. Top scorer in the league in both seasons with 30+ goals.

players_114252.jpg

Pawel Abbott

Made of glass. On obscene wages (along with most of the team) which is why we went into admin again. But fuck me, what a player. If he'd have stayed fit during his time here we would have gone up, no bother.

players_80913.jpg

Rob Purdie

Jack of all trades. Must have played in every position except in goal during his time with us. Good player as well and a brilliant penalty taker.

liddle_2271688.jpg

Craig Liddle

Darlo legend. Rock solid centre back who stayed with us despite being far, far better than anyone else in the team.

Paul Scholes. Has always been my favourite player basically because he plays the way I would want to if I was a professional. Scoring fan-dabi-dozi goals from outside the box, picking out perfect 40 yard balls, not afraid to dive into any tackle. Brilliant professional as well.

Eric Cantona. Kind of goes without saying. Just the aura surrounding him was amazing, let alone the things he actually did on the pitch.

Peter Schmeichel. The reason I chose to support Man Utd in the first place. It says it all that every keeper we have had since and probably will have in the future is compared to him.

Diego Forlan. Didn't manage too many when he was with us, but the ones he did score were brilliant. Always had the feeling that if he could find his feet, he would go on to be one of the best strikers in Europe. He's done that with Atletico, but I just wish it had been with us!

simao_sabrosa1.jpg

Simão Sabrosa - Just amazing. I still rank his goal against Liverppol as one the best goal I have ever seen live

oscar_cardozo.jpg

Oscar Cardozo - Amazing freekicker, deadly left foot, one of the most deadly guys I have ever seen in the Goal Area. Oh, and the fact that this season he has more goals than half the team in our league must count for something

saviola-goals.jpg

2910927782_a048c09c31.jpg

Javier Saviola and Pablo Aimar - I am still in awe seeing this two guys playing in Benfica. For fuck's sake, it's Aimar and Saviola!!

He said it all, really. With the inclusion of:

Rui Costa

rui-costa.jpg

and

João Vieira Pinto before he went to Sporting.

jvp.jpg

Paul Scholes. Has always been my favourite player basically because he plays the way I would want to if I was a professional. Scoring fan-dabi-dozi goals from outside the box, picking out perfect 40 yard balls, not afraid to dive into any tackle. Brilliant professional as well.

If only he could ACTUALLY tackle... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I do like the fact that even though everyone else knows he's going to foul the player, Scholes still thinks in his head that he'll finally take the ball for once. He would be a better player if he could tackle, but I'm happy with the actual effort and passion he shows just going into the challenges so often.

Although, I do dread hearing Andy Gray saying "the wee man still hasn't learnt to tackle after all these years" then laughing in every game. It's up there with "the evergreen Ryan Giggs is still one of the best in the league even at the grand old age of 35" and "that's unlucky for Owen because 9 times out of 10, he WILL score given the chance!" I could probably fill up a whole other thread out of commentator cliches so I'll stop here.

Robbie Fowler: Pretty much my idol when I was growing up, and I can't remember ever going through a phase where he wasn't my favourite Liverpool player. Him being left-footed probably had something to do with it originally. When he 'came back' a few years ago I remember being genuinely emotional, I guess in wrestling terms I marked-out, it's one of the very few times that something outside of a game has done that.

John Barnes: Even though I caught him towards the end of his career, and when he was a bit porky, he still ran games basically standing in the centre circle. Fantastic player, even as a ten year old I could still appreciate just how good he was.

Stan Collymore: Funny that he's now one of the people I despise most in football. A horrible twat and a lazy bastard with a shocking attitude, I think it's that Newcastle game that clouded my judgement for years. I still get goosebumps when I hear that bit of commentary; "Collymore closing IIIIIIN! Liverpool lead in stoppage time!" I still maintain as well that he could have been one of the best strikers of his generation, if he actually wanted to be.

Sami Hyypia: For me, pretty much the definition of a 'model pro.' You never heard about him creating some sort of controversy, he was never an arsehole on the pitch, he just got on with his job every week for a decade and, at his peak, was one of the best in Europe. It says a lot about him that even when he left, and with Carragher, Agger and Skrtel at the club, as a defender he was still the best in the team. I still remember one of the games against Chelsea where we were winning by a goal, Mourinho brought on Huth and stuck him up front in the 90th minute, and Rafa just negated Mourinho's final throw of the dice within seconds by bringing Hyypia on. He won every ball that Chelsea lumped forward and got it clear. I'd love to have him back, it still hurts that he left.

Luis Garcia: Most frustrating player I've ever seen, but you always knew he'd do something that nobody else on the pitch could eventually. Was amazing in the Champions League 05 run as well, scored the best headed goal I've ever seen in the second leg against Leverkusen.

Ryan Giggs: He's simply extraordinary. fan-dabi-dozi pro whose never been sent off in his career and still capable of tearing up the left wing and changing games...I am going to cry like a baby when he finally packs it in.

Cristiano Ronaldo: I started supporting United when I was 10 back in 2001, As the years went by sure Ruud was a machine in front of goal and there were many fan-dabi-dozi players but watching Ronaldo grow...he became my hero. Sure he was a twat and I would absolutely detest him if I supported any other team but while everyone idolized Cantona and Schmeichel and got to watch them play growing up. Similarly I had Ronaldo, the way he developed from being a flashy winger to the best player in the world was brilliant and when on song he was simply unplayable he had everything. Beast in the air, a fan-dabi-dozi strike with both feet,quick and fan-dabi-dozi skills...he got a tag for being a pussy but despite all the kicking he took he always got up and made a difference and didn't hide that makes him fan-dabi-dozi in my opinion.

Paul Scholes: The Ginger Ninja!, some of the passes he makes are just insane and he's been involved in so many fan-dabi-dozi moments...the thumper against Villa,the semi final goal against Barcelona and I fondly remember a fan-dabi-dozi run leading to a goal as we came back from 1-0 down to beat Blackburn 4-1 in a HUGE match.

Dimitar Berbatov: We haven't seen the best of him at United and while he can be really frustrating and all the bandwagon fans hate him no matter what he does you know some of the things he can do with the ball are worth the admission fee alone. The touchline 360 against West Ham was the single greatest piece of individual skill I have ever seen at Old Traford...Everyone forgets he did score some vital goals for us we wouldn't have won the league without his winners against Boro,Newcastle and Bolton.

John O'Shea: I totally mark for Sheasy, he became a bit of a cult hero after his nutmeg on Figo and genuninely looked like he'd go onto be one hell of a full back he didn't develop as everyone expected due to the insane expectations but he's played every position for us and the 2007 season he genuninely looked like getting a goal everytime he got forward!. He played 49 times for us last season and I am so glad he's proved people wrong and established himself as an important player

Darren Fletcher: Another one who gets a lot of stick but has become our most important central midfielder. I always thought he was a useful player but wasted on the right wing. He's an absolute monster in the centre and the closest we have to Roy Keane...goes into every tackle,tries and wins every ball and is just a brilliant example of how hard work can shut up the fans...wish Nani would take note.

Guest TonyWellard

My favourite Bristol Rovers player at the moment is on loan keeper from Reading Mikkel Andersen.

My favourite all time Bristol Rovers player is Rickie Lambert or Nathan Ellington.

David Beckham

Ryan Giggs

Wayne Rooney

Dimitar Berbatov

Roy Keane

Nemanja Vidic

Paul Scholes

Cristiano Ronaldo

Dwight Yorke

Ruud van Nistelrooy

Darren Fletcher

Nicky Butt

Teddy Sherringham

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Edited by KoA

I do like the fact that even though everyone else knows he's going to foul the player, Scholes still thinks in his head that he'll finally take the ball for once. He would be a better player if he could tackle, but I'm happy with the actual effort and passion he shows just going into the challenges so often.

Although, I do dread hearing Andy Gray saying "the wee man still hasn't learnt to tackle after all these years" then laughing in every game.

I hate Scholes. To me, there is a difference between not being able to tackle, and just being dirty, and I think Scholes falls squarely in the latter category.

However, it also annoys me when Andy Gray does what you suggested, insofar as it seems OK to laugh off the nasty challenges the guy puts in regularly because 'he can't tackle hohoho'.

As for players I like, it is weird because Fulham technically have their best squad/team ever, if results and tables are what we go by. So a lot of my favourites would come from the current squad. Brede Hangeland and Clint Dempsey are my two favourites of the current squad, whilst I also had a lot of love for Barry Hayles, Louis Saha, Antti Niemi and Edwin Van Der Sar from back in the day.

090613154107-815-409.jpg

God. He was the best defender in the world, pure class.

916fd75d-84f0-4663-bcb2-99b10355f9bf.jpg

Dean Saunders - Deano was superb. Proper forward.

_39634343_angel33g.jpg

There's only Juan Pablo Angel, Juan Pablo Angel, there's only Juan Pablo Angel. One of my all time favourite players, I loved Angel with all my heart.

Olof_Mellberg_401075a.jpg

Mellberg was the man. During his time at the club, I'd have took him over any other defender in the Premiership.

pg-44-Laursen-Getty_106619t.jpg

Laursen, second coming of God, during his best seasons with us - he was the top defender in the league.

james-milner-525103399.jpg

article-1235072-06DBAC27000005DC-177_468x368.jpg

Richard-Dunne-holds-off-D-002.jpg

Stephen-Warnock-Aston-Vil-001.jpg

article-1163253-02E32B0500000578-60_468x384.jpg

Those boys are future Claret and Blue heroes. Collins is amazing, and has impressed me already - same for Warnock and Dunne. Milner is a star in the making, at every level. Young and Gaby when on form are unstoppable.

David Beckham: Easily my favourite player in my history of watching football. Cant really say much about him. Still hope to one day see him return and retire with us, I can always hope.

Peter Schmichael: A legend, a hero and for me by a million miles the greatest goal keeper to grace the game. Just so many amazing moments for us, him leaving the club felt as bad as when Becks did. And honestly, I'll NEVER forget the penalty save he made against Arsenal in the final minute of the FA Cup. Everybody remembers it for the Giggs goal, but this moment is right up there with it.

Federico Macheda: A future star in my eyes. Became an instant favourite with the stunner against Villa, another one of those moments that'll live with you forever. I still think the guy could be a huge star in the future and he still reminds me slightly of Totti.

Wayne Rooney: Passion and commitment. Level with Becks as my favourite player today. I might be biased in saying this, but I still believe he's as good as any footballer in the game and that he's our most important player by a million miles this decade.

Cristiano Ronaldo: Gutted he left for Madrid, but what an amazing player. I'll never forget what he did for the club. His partnership with Rooney was one of my favourites in a long time and whether he's at Madrid or not, I'll always love this guy.

Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke: I put them together because they were almost an unstoppable partnership. Goals. Goals. And more goals. Just awesome.

Ruud Van Nistelrooy: Maybe the best goal scorer I've ever seen. Committed and simply lethal. I remember when people were going on about him rarely scoring 'great' goals and not long later he scored that stunner against Derby, running from near the halfway line, taking on player after player and finishing it amazingly. Granted it was DERBY, it was so a wow moment.

To name a few more: Gary Neville, Dennis Irwin and Rafael Da Silva.

Olof_Mellberg_401075a.jpg

Mellberg was the man. During his time at the club, I'd have took him over any other defender in the Premiership.

Olof was a total hero. I lived in Birmingham for most of his time at Villa (I was 2002-2008) and Villa were my Birmingham club. He was a legend. Loved him. while I was at Gamestation, two of the guys who worked there were footy fans - one Birmingham and one Villa. The Villa fan and I would talk fondly of Mellberg's manly beard and tough tackling.