Farmer Reil

I saw it last night with the 3D glasses and stuff. I really enjoyed it - though that is quite possibly due in some part to me never having seen a 3D film before.

It was really long and I fell asleep a couple of times, though that was mainly because I hadn't slept in two days.

I'd definitely recommend going though. I had a good time despite not being too sure about it beforehand.

I honestly couldn't stand this damn movie.

It dragged on WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to much for me to even get into the movie. The visual effects and the big battle scene are indeed quite epic, but the massive lack of an interesting story makes this movie suck.

Also, Sam Worthington sucks as an actor. But that's just my opinion.

• Like 1

It is the most visually stunning movie I have EVER seen. The story may not be the most original story ever, but unlike others, this is the only movie of its length that I haven't felt like I was watching a nearly 3 hour movie because I found it all to be engaging.

This.

Except I felt the same about The Dark Knight as well

It is the most visually stunning movie I have EVER seen. The story may not be the most original story ever, but unlike others, this is the only movie of its length that I haven't felt like I was watching a nearly 3 hour movie because I found it all to be engaging.

This.

Except I felt the same about The Dark Knight as well

To a certain extent, I would agree that The Dark Knight felt the same way, but I think The Dark Knight suffers from having continually compounding action to the point that the climax didn't seem like much of a traditional climax while Avatar has a very traditional climax.

Definitely see this if you're on the fence; the movie is really something. It looks stunning, which is part of the experience. I really found myself interested and into the world Cameron had created and how the story and the visuals explored that. The action scene at the end, as someone has said, was totally epic. And I didn't think the film dragged at all. Go see it, for sure. (Y)

My Film Studies course mate went to see this in Glasgow in IMAX 3D and clearly rates this as a 10/10, possibly film of the decade.

I've told him to go see it again in a week to see if the honeymoon period wears off (like the Dark Knight <_<)

Edited by The General

I've told him to go see it again in a week to see if the honeymoon period wears off (like the Dark Knight <_<)

How very dare you. I don't even know you anymore. I mean, I don't know you at all in the first place but it sounds a dramatic thing to say. TDK still holds up after having seen it at least a hundred times since it was released.

• Like 3

When the dust settles, I'm afraid that others are right: While the technological/visual aspects make this film deserve any comparison to Star Wars, I don't think it will hold up story-wise as a movie after the dust settles. This film deserves a place in film history on the merits of its visuals and the technology behind them and on the world that Cameron has built, but I think that the OTHER movies that will employ this technology have a better chance as far as story goes. That's not to say that Avatar's story is outright shitty. On the contrary, it goes through its story incredibly well, but it's a familiar story. The movie was pitched to Fox as being Fern Gully in Space and that doesn't even get into comparisons with Pocahontas, Dances With Wolves, etc. But the dialogue is pretty bad in places. But those things don't detract from the movie overall. I can't wait to go see it again on the IMAX. It's really fan-dabi-dozi, and I want to see it as much as I can in 3-D on a big ass screen as it was meant to be.

Panasonic is getting ready to roll out a line of 3-D HDTVs to coincide with Avatar's home release, but it just won't be quite the same, assuming the tech pulls it off in the first place.

I cannot urge you enough if you are on the fence or even in the camp of not buying into 3-D to go see it and see it in 3-D. It's not the gimmicky shit that My Bloody Valentine 3-D and The Final Destination were. It helps to immerse you into the movie. And I will say that the film lives up to the hype it was supposed to, which was on a visual/technological level. Many esteemed film critics are acknowledging this when they review this film, and they're pretty much dead on.

The only reason I went to see it was because it had all this awesome visual stuff in it and I thought that I'll undoubtedly end up seeing it one day anyway, so I'd rather see it at the cinema where I can be taken in by the 3D and the massive screen and stuff like that, than at home on my crappy TV where I'd probably just concentrate on the story and end up thinking it was a pile of shit.

I went to see it knowing it was going to be a visual effects show and probably not much else.

With that in mind it was possibly the best film of it's kind I have ever seen.

The visuals which in the trailers look odd and dissapointing (and possibly were in 2D) worked fantastically well in 3D. The story was tired, cliched and full of flat cardboard cutout charachters who would never have ever been put in the same room together in real life.

A financial guy who plays golf on the bridge, a security officer somehow able to distance to the big business side of the company what their strategy should be? A scientist with personal access and authority to both security and business guys, an idiot hero who's first encounter with an alien just happens to be with the boss's daughter and on and on and on. Plus the whole dragonrider choosing each other thing, living gaia and tree gods.

That said I'm going to see it again after christmas for the sheer spectacle of it. 8/10 from me

Every now and then when there was an awesome scene I'd sort of tilt my glasses down so I could see what it would look like without them. Didn't look nearly as good.

EDIT: Or am I being a complete idiot and there's different screens for 3D and non-3D? I'm being an idiot aren't I. No wonder it looked shit.

Edited by Pesci

Every now and then when there was an awesome scene I'd sort of tilt my glasses down so I could see what it would look like without them. Didn't look nearly as good.

EDIT: Or am I being a complete idiot and there's different screens for 3D and non-3D? I'm being an idiot aren't I. No wonder it looked shit.

Yeah there's specific versions, without the glasses the 3D version looks like double vision.

I don't see how people can get past the way that the furry things look in this film.. I don't find it realistic at all.

I'll probably watch this on blu-ray when it comes out, but otherwise I'm not interested at all.

The furry things?

When I told a mate I was going to see it he immediately said "pff, it looks lame. Has no plot" etc, but he didn't even see it so how the hell can he judge the movie?! It seems a lot of people just go on imdb or something and believe all the whining. It's the most beautiful movie you've ever seen in the cinema. The story was fine, I got sucked into it within 10 minutes.

Edited by The Quasi Juice