Does The Office (US) Ever Get Funny?

K

I had heard so much praise for The Office (the US version), that eventually I had to check it out. I got the first season... And was able to watch three episodes, after which I came to the conclusion that even gym device infomercials are more entertaining than that shit. It's not funny at all, it's not clever, it's just stupid and makes me uncomfortable and groan and roll my eyes. Steve Carell must be the least funny guy ever, I have never liked anything he's been in. His character in The Office is so infuriating that it makes me want to kill kittens. The Dwight character is the same. All the other characters are so bland I don't even remember anything about them.

Worst show ever. Will never watch again.

EDIT: I did watch the first two episodes of the original UK version. So I take it that they just filmed the same scripts again in the US? Anyway, the UK version is far less irritating, but isn't any funnier either. The US version is irritating and unfunny, the UK version is just unfunny. Fuck them both.

Edited by Jayzon
  • Like 1

Yes because that attitude makes perfect sense considering virtually every post in this thread has said it's a great show if you skip the first season.

I really, really doubt it... It's not the scripts or the jokes that I hate, it's the characters/actors. They're not changing them in the later seasons, are they?

The second season is a lot better.

The first one was awful. In season two the characters start to come into their own. I actually really enjoy it now. Taking a British script and having Americans read it just doesn't work, but in season two they're writing for their own actors and it's hilarious.

I love the season 3 premiere, it's great stuff.

Spoilered~! for Keith's benefit:

"I'm not offended by homosexuality. In the 60's I made love to many, many women - often outdoors - in the mud and the rain.. and it's possible a man slipped in. There'd be no way of knowing!"

I agree with most people here so far.. the office season one was pretty horrendous compared to the english version and I am a HUGE fan of the US series.

It gets better from then on. season 4 is probably my favourite, but despite all this I think the majority of the UK counterparts do a better job, probably because you pity them more. I heard a rumour that a few of the UK stars would make cameo's in the US version but this was a couple of years ago now.

How awesome would a David Brent/Michael Scott meeting be!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I just watched The Office here and there until me and my girlfriend finally sat down and watched it from the beginning and caught all the way up for the new episode last week. I have never seen the british version so I don't know how they are alike, but it definitely got better in season two. The only problem I have with the show is my girlfriend wants me to be more like Jim.. fuck that man. :\

My favorite character is Andy by far. He can sing for me any day.

• 2 weeks later...