Conan vs Leno

sahyder1

Who do you prefer?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer?

I know it was posted earlier in the thread, but Jimmy Kimmel ripping Leno to shreds was just perfect. I've always really liked Kimmel, but that video solidifies WHY he is so amazing. I can't believe Leno didn't say anything. He just stood there and took EVERY blow.

The moment Leno blurted out that witless "... uh, tomorrow doesn't work for me" he was completely fucked. I mean, and this isn't meant as a knock on Jimmy Kimmel here, but it's one thing to be mocked by like the fourth or fifth most relevant network late night host on his own show and another to be completely humiliated and torn to shreds by that same host on your own show. Either Jay Leno really is that witless and oblivious now or he was trying to get sympathy by just standing there and taking it whilst Kimmel berated him for the entire fiasco to his face, and if the latter is true, it sure as hell didn't work.

I mean, Kimmel has been pretty vocal about how he feels about the issue - having him on your show isn't a good idea. I think Leno didn't really think he'd go for the jugular like that, let alone just continually trash the guy. I think Leno kept going because what's the alternative on live television? If he shuts it off, he probably would have ended up looking just as bad.

Well, it's not actually live television but if they cut it, it just would have come out anyway from someone in the audience or Kimmel himself talking about it and then Leno would have looked even worse.

It's official, Conan's last show is tomorrow night:

source

It's all officially official now. Here's the just-released statement from NBC:

NBC and Conan O'Brien have reached a resolution of the issues surrounding O'Brien's contract to host The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien.

Under terms of an agreement that was signed earlier today, NBC and O'Brien will settle their contractual obligations and the network will release O'Brien from his contract, freeing him to pursue other opportunities after September 1, 2010.

O'Brien will make his final appearance as host of The Tonight Show on January 22.

And:

NBC confirmed that Jay Leno will return to host The Tonight Show beginning March 1 and Jimmy Fallon will continue to be broadcast at 12:35 a.m.

"We're pleased that Jay is returning to host the franchise that he helmed brilliantly and successfully for many years," said Jeff Gaspin, chairman NBC Universal Television Entertainment. "He is an enormous talent, a consummate professional and one of the hardest-working performers on television."

Conan is one of the classiest people i've ever seen on TV, and he proved it again with that final speech...to thank NBC after all that's happened and the way they screwed him over was just something a lot of people wouldn't be able to do. A perfect ending to a show that should have lasted for 10-15 years minimum

Can't wait to see him in September

I felt oddly unsatisfied with that episode for the most part, I think because my expectations were so lofty there was really little chance of the reality matching up. I dunno, I honestly wanted to see classic Tonight Show/Late Night characters instead of the likes of Steve Carrell, especially since a lot of them didn't have any presence over the last couple weeks (Frankenstein, Conando, Pierre Bernard who didn't make a single appearance while freaking Deon Cole showed up four times, I don't think Brian McCann appeared even once). That being said, Conan's speech was beautiful and classy when he really had the right to have gone out angry and defiant, and the montage of Conan's Tonight Show run was very nicely done.

Also credit to Jimmy Fallon, who did a nice little tribute to Conan at the top of his show.

I wish Conan had done one last "In The Year 3000" bit while he was still able to insult NBC.

Loved the "what to do with the studio" bit.

Ending of the show was awesome, but I bet it gets cut from re-runs and Hulu, sadly.

And if I was a donator, my name would be "Chip Whitley" right now.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Thursday and last night were the first times in my life I'd gone out of my way to watch Conan (incidental viewing was between him and Kimmel most nights in the Late Night era I was up that late, but Letterman usually beat him out post-switch).

Both were very good shows and really gave me the impression that Conan and Jay speak to completely different audiences. Anyone else notice that in Conan's thanking of NBC (which I took more as subtle jabs at them for ending such a long-lasting relationship), he never once thanked Leno, or said he'd do a good job, or even brought him up other than as a joke in the Things To Do With The Studio list? Definitely some bitterness there.

Guest JukeboxHero

I watched the show earlier at Hulu and it's all there, even the end, so you can check it out here:

In any event, it was a fun show, I thought. A very fitting send off. If you watch any part of the show, make sure it's the last segment with his speech and the awesome musical performance. Phenomenal stuff. Can't wait to see where Conan goes from here.