"Up"

Adapted screenplay

"District 9"

"An Education"

"In the Loop"

"Precious"

"Up in the Air"

Those are the big ones...

I love Tarantino movies , but am i the only one who really thinks Basterds was bad?

Besides the performance of Christopher Waltz,which is definitely award-worthy , I really didn't like the movie at all.

I can't really comment on the different awards,haven't seen enough of the movies to do so<_<

Avatar being nominated for best picture is entirely to shut up Fox News, who every year after the Oscars say "oh those Hollywood elitists, out of touch with America, giving best picture to a movie no one saw!" I'm so over Avatar at this point, yes it's a successful movie, people should see it, but in terms of winning an Oscar for best picture? Are you fucking kidding me? District 9 told a far superior story on a far inferior budget. Avatar deserves every technical award there is, and I wouldn't even mind Cameron winning best director for the vision, but that's all the movie is.

Everything else looks about right though. Go District 9!

• Like 2

Seriously, somebody help me understand why Inglourious Basterds is up for Best Picture. Either it's "oh shit oh shit what else can we include in best picture wait doesn't tarantino have a movie out sold" or it's a Tarantino lifetime achievement thing, because as a film it was nothing special at all.

That said, nice to see Jeremy Renner getting a Best Actor nod. I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen most of the movies nominated - yes, for shame on my part - but he was damn good in the Hurt Locker, and I'd be quite happy seeing him win.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm just a Tarantino dork, but I thought Basterds can sit right alongside all of his other movies. The guy's never made a movie that didn't thoroughly entertain me.

And I know I'm beating the dead horse here, but it's WAY better than Avatar.

I wasn't a fan of The Hurt Locker; I saw it after hearing rave reviews and was left a little dissapointed. But I think I'm a bit young to get it. Renner was pretty good, though.

I think Avatar deserves to be in for Best Picture; as it was a pretty epic film. I'm still a little annoyed that Dark Knight was pretty much snubbed last year.

Edited by Split Second

I have a poor film example here, but I shall steal this from a film critic friend of mine, an occasional writer for CHUD.com named Corey Craft, who wrote of all the films better than the Golden Globe winner for Best Picture:

93 movies from 2009 that are better than ostensible Best Picture frontrunner AVATAR: A SERIOUS MAN, AN EDUCATION, UP, IN THE LOOP, INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, DRAG ME TO HELL, GOODBYE SOLO, DISTRICT 9, FANTASTIC MR. FOX, BRIGHT STAR, THE HURT LOCKER, HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE, BIG FAN, THE SOLOIST, CORALINE, PARANORMAL ACTIVITY, THE COVE, ADVENTURELAND, AWAY WE GO, THE INFORMANT!, CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS, JULIE AND JULIA, ANTICHRIST, SUGAR, MOON, WATCHMEN, THE BROTHERS BLOOM, BROTHERS, OBSERVE AND REPORT, UP IN THE AIR, WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE, STAR TREK, THE ROAD, GOMORRAH, PRECIOUS, THE BAD LIEUTENANT: PORT OF CALL NEW ORLEANS, ORPHAN, DOWNLOADING NANCY, CAPITALISM: A LOVE STORY, BLACK DYNAMITE, HUMPDAY, ADORATION, OUTRAGE, O'HORTEN, TRICK 'R TREAT, TYSON, PUBLIC ENEMIES, WHATEVER WORKS, ZOMBIELAND, THE BLIND SIDE, THE MESSENGER, ADAM, JULIA, WORLD'S GREATEST DAD, CRANK: HIGH VOLTAGE, MONSTERS VS. ALIENS, BRUNO, KNOWING, THE HANGOVER, THE BOX, THE YOUNG VICTORIA, THE GIRLFRIEND EXPERIENCE, THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG, FOOD INC., PONYO, RUDO Y CURSI, AMREEKA, 2012, THE MERRY GENTLEMAN, A CHRISTMAS CAROL, THE INVENTION OF LYING, SHERLOCK HOLMES, IS ANYBODY THERE?, EASY VIRTUE, G.I. JOE: THE RISE OF COBRA, NOTORIOUS, GAMER, FUNNY PEOPLE, THE HOUSE OF THE DEVIL, DUPLICITY, THIRST, CHERI, STATE OF PLAY, MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3D, A PERFECT GETAWAY, LAND OF THE LOST, THE FINAL DESTINATION, THE LIMITS OF CONTROL, I LOVE YOU MAN, THE GREAT BUCK HOWARD, LYMELIFE, INVICTUS and TAKING WOODSTOCK.

That is a lot of caps lock, I realize, and he also really hates Avatar, but there are a lot of really good films in there for sure.

I've never seen Avatar, but I'd love to hear how he thinks Bruno or GI Joe deserve best picture over Avatar.

I doubt it was a best picture point over a "see how many movies are better quality than this movie." And Bruno and Joe I believe ran an hour shorter than Avatar, so they are more concise movies. I hear the action is really intriguingly done as well. So there is that.