EWB'S FAVOURITE WEBCOMICS VOTING THREAD

badotori

...but I'll plough on regardless. Not sure if it really fits in here in the Movie & TV section, but the comics and anime threads are here, so bugger it.

Essentially, I've recently got back into reading a few web-comics that I used to read in my late teens in an attempt to find distractions from uni work, and it gave me the idea of finding out what EWB's comic of choice is. This is not only a chance to preach the virtues of your preferred webcomics thus furnishing them with the glittering praise that they so deserve, it will also lend us more ways to waste time at work/college/home than ever before. HUZZAH! Plus, it gives me the opportunity - nay, the privilege - to compile a list thread which can only mean good times. thumbsup.gif

Anyways, the rules are simple:

1) You vote for your favourite 5 webcomics - from past, present or both - with number 1 being your ultimate favourite.

2) The points system will be the usual 5pts for the number 1 comic in your list, down to 1pt for number 5.

3) In order to make it easier for me to find the comics when I write about them in the results thread, a hyper-link to the comic that you vote for (e.g. Penny Arcade) would be much appreciated.

4) You don't have to add an explanation as to why you like it or anything, but if you want to, then that's totally up to you.

5) In the event of a tie on points, I'll take the highest and lowest amount of points garnered from a single vote and add 'em together. Whichever comic gains the higher score from this method will end up higher on the list.

6) If you edit your post, then a new post or PM would be appreciated so I can make all the alterations and shizzle.

If you want to post up a particular piece of hilarity from your webcomic of choice, then go for gold. We can always use something to chuckle or stare in awe/barely-concealed disgust at.

I'll probably leave up the voting thread for a week or two so you've got plenty of time to vote and stuff...that's about it, really...

Edited by badotori

1) Penny Arcade

2) Brawl In The Family

3) Cyanide & Happiness

4) Blank It

5) Fanboys

Honourable Mentions:

XKCD

VGCats (Agree wholeheartedly with Kaney even though I've voted for Fanboys which suffers from the same quandary sad.gif)

LeastICouldDo

Hark! A Vagrant

Any of the above could have been included but I think the top 5 are the most consistent.

EDIT: I hadn't heard of Axe Cop until today - it's amazing. So amazing, I am seriously considering buying this T-Shirt to commemorate my new-found man-crush. thumbsup.gif

Edited by badotori

Cheers to those who've voted so far, I had a very fun couple of days checking out some all these new web-comics - there's some sickeningly funny and talented buggers out there on the Intertubes. Sickens me. dry.gif

Anyway, all the votes have been counted up - a very arduous task - and it looks like I'll end up doing a Top 20 list in the end. I'll leave this thread up 'til Thursday then try and write the results up by Sunday and post it up after I get back from work in the evening.

Hopefully this bump ('cos let's be honest, it pretty much is one) will drum up a little more voting :P.

Edited by badotori

Ugh, you've no idea how hard a call this is for me. I'm the resident EWB Webcomic nerd and I just, this sucks, it's so hard for me to call this one :(

1. Questionable Content

2. Least I Could Do

3. Looking for Group

4. Penny Arcade

5. 8-Bit Theater

See, I'm not even entirely satisfied with that list, either. Questionable Content's grown on me so much I'd honestly rank it my #1 now, and I know that both LICD and LFG are in my top 5 just because I love RyLar's works, but... after that it gets hazy. PA and 8bit get in out of pure respect and for how long I've followed them, and also because there's yet to be a comic by them I've not enjoyed; however, there are so many fucking awesome comics I'd still put in there. Thankfully most of the grounds seem to have been covered by others so I suppose I can ignore these dissatisfied feelings.

If nothing else this topic reminded me how much I want to start work on the next Webcom Mafia. Soon(ish), though, once I'm done with other ventures!

1. Perry Bible Fellowship- great art, disturbing, original sense of humor, one of the only webcomics that can tell a joke entirely through visuals without 1,000 words on blahety blah blah.

2. Penny Arcade- looking back it wasn't the prettiest comic or the most consistently funny, but Gabe's art is head and shoulders above the average web-comics artist, and Tycho actually knows how to deliver a joke.

3. Dinosaur Comics- how do the same half-dozen images create years of good material? Dinosaur Comics does it through unusually good characterization and clever use of dialogue.

4. Hark, A Vagrant- intelligent, witty, and actually funny? Her drawing has improved a lot, too.

5. Axe Cop- I predict that in a year Axe Cop will be my favorite thing ever. Completely unrestrained storytelling (not surprising for a 5 year old) and excellent art make this the comic everyone needs to

Honorable Mentions:

Slow Wave

The Non-Adventures of Wonderella

PvP

Cats Can't Talk!

Dishonorable Mentions: comics that don't understand how to tell a joke. Comics where characters try to be "random," comics where characters are ciphers to sell clever t-shirts, comics that are unbelievably sexist and draw every male character and every female character exactly the same way, comics that think miscarriage storylines are a good idea.

Dishonorable Mentions: comics that don't understand how to tell a joke. Comics where characters try to be "random," comics where characters are ciphers to sell clever t-shirts, comics that are unbelievably sexist and draw every male character and every female character exactly the same way, comics that think miscarriage storylines are a good idea.

I.E.: That one awful comic Ace placed on his list :shifty:

one of the only webcomics that can tell a joke entirely through visuals without 1,000 words on blahety blah blah.

Also, a symptom of that particular comic. shifty.gif

Moving swiftly on, I'll leave the voting thread up until 6pm GMT tomorrow (that's about 18 hours) for the stragglers (plus anyone who wants to jump to the defence of that comic we've been referencing tongue.gif). At the moment, I'm considering bumping it up to a Top 25 as a Top 20 as, at the moment, there is a definitive 25. This'll probably change though if more people vote and stuff.

Just wondering if I can get your opinion on a thing as well. In a situation where say, three comics were tied on six points with:

1) This one receiving three votes - 1 third, 1 fourth and 1 fifth

2) This one receiving two votes - 1 first and 1 fifth

and

3) This one also receiving two votes - 1 second and 1 fourth

What order would you put them in? Because, if this situation arises, I would place them "2,3 then 1" as the fact that 2 is seen as the best comic by 1 voter gives it more credence over a comic that picked up a second place at best. Very long-winded explanation, I know, but I just want to know if you think that system is fair or unfair before I sort out the results.

Edited by badotori