I wanna play a game with Mons in it.

Sousa

Right, so I know EWB is crawling with Pokemon fans, and I've been thinking about picking up one of the games featuring the original 151. Nothing beyond that--all of the time of day/breeding/happiness ranking bullshit was the point where the series started to lose me. I played one of Red and Blue (pretty sure it was Red) back in the day and watched the first season of the show with my little brother. So yeah, I like the original group and I'm all about starting that up again.

So for you fans, here's the burning question: where do I start? Obviously Fire Red and Leaf Green are the most recent iterations, but are they any better? Would it be more worth it to pick up Yellow? What are your thoughts?

:( I loved Red and Blue

Leaf Green, if I'm not mistaken, is like a rebooted version of the originals but with colour and extra stuff thrown into it. A friend of mine had it on GBA Emulator and it looked exactly the same. I played the newer versions at my cousins and they are just not the same. So I say go for Fire Red

Ruby/Emerald were okay. The DS generation is awful though. Far too much bullshit has been added that does nothing for the game. It's a shame too, because I was totally up for the Gold/Silver remakes until I realised they'd have the touch screen stuff and happiness meters and blah blah blah, all of which just made a fun simple game overly complicated.

But yeah, Sous, Fire Red/Leaf Green are totally worth getting. I still play through the two of them on Emu every once in a while, because it's literally just Red and Blue with prettier graphics.

• Like 1

Red and Blue were awesome, but I liked Gold and Silver too. Pretty much everything after that went downhill, which is a shame because I wouldn't mind trying the Gold/Silver remakes, but only if they don't suck >_>

I settled for FireRed. Just made it to Viridian Forest. Rocking Bulbasaur because the others are made of gay.

Squirtle would like to give you a great big fuck you. dry.gif

Charmander says fuck you too, buddy! :pervert:

Seriously - raising a Charmander is the hardest of the three in the beginning. You need to either capture a Caterpie or a Weedle in Viridian Forest and evolve it to a Butterfree/Beedrill, OR, if you're lucky and patient, capture a Mankey in the grass outside Pewter City and use it until it learns its first Fighting-type move, in which case you'll own Brock's ass.

And on that note, Misty can go fuck herself on her goddamn Starmie.

Edited by TenaciousG

I settled for FireRed. Just made it to Viridian Forest. Rocking Bulbasaur because the others are made of gay.

Squirtle would like to give you a great big fuck you. dry.gif

Charmander says fuck you too, buddy! :pervert:

Seriously - raising a Charmander is the hardest of the three in the beginning. You need to either capture a Caterpie or a Weedle in Viridian Forest and evolve it to a Butterfree/Beedrill, OR, if you're lucky and patient, capture a Mankey in the grass outside Pewter City and use it until it learns its first Fighting-type move, in which case you'll own Brock's ass.

And on that note, Misty can go fuck herself on her goddamn Starmie.

*cough* METAL CLAW *cough*

Also getting a Butterfree or Beedrill to take on Brock is laughable. Beedrill can't do jack shit to his Geodude or Onix, and while Butterfree can use Confusion it will die to the first Rock Tomb you get thrown at you. Mankey, though, is a good idea. Low Kick - which it learns early on - absolutely ruins Onix thanks to the fact that it gets stronger the heavier your opponent is, and Karate Chop has that juicy high crit rate.

Bulbasaur's the easy option thanks to super effective against the first two gyms. I'm disappointed in you Sousa.

Bulbasaur's the easy option thanks to super effective against the first two gyms. I'm disappointed in you Sousa.

Ironically, I ended up not even using Venusaur in the Cerulean gym--Pikachu had that shit locked up. I stayed up late last night and played when I really should've been doing other things, and I just offed Lt. Surge, who I swear I remember only having just the one Raichu. Am I thinking of the cartoon? Was this another of those silly "Pikachu, you'll evolve IF YOU LOVE ME" episodes?

It was already posted. In the Pokemon topic. >_>

Also I second the 'fuck you misty'. God damn Starmie!

107a.jpg

0.jpg

FUCK YOU Staryu and FUCK YOU Starmie.

And trust Double X to come and ruin a casual discussion with his professional methods.

Ironically, I ended up not even using Venusaur in the Cerulean gym--Pikachu had that shit locked up. I stayed up late last night and played when I really should've been doing other things, and I just offed Lt. Surge, who I swear I remember only having just the one Raichu. Am I thinking of the cartoon? Was this another of those silly "Pikachu, you'll evolve IF YOU LOVE ME" episodes?

Oh yeah, I remember that episode. Surge evolved his Pikachu the first chance he got, and made Raichu into a powerhouse.. so he didn't really need any other Pokemon. The whole evolution thing was about whether or not Pikachu would evolve with a Thunder Stone because then he'd never be able to go back to what he was, etc etc etc and it was all resolved in the end because Raichu was a slow ass motherfucker, having never mastered speed when he was a Pikachu.

...ugh, why do I still know this.

If it's any consolation, I apparently did as well.

Also, I have now reached the "post-Gyarados" part of the game, a.k.a. the part where grinding and all that actually starts becoming fun because I've got at least one legit badass on my team.