The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

I wonder if the rest of the staff upped Al's meds, put him to bed on Wednesday night, let him sleep until Saturday, and told him that the first round was still Saturday.

Bruce Campbell and Jacoby Ford were workout freaks, and are great fourth-round picks...unfortunately, he'd normally be all over them in the first or second. :shifty:

All in all, the Raiders probably had a better draft than anyone else in their division, counting the addition of Jason Campbell.

I wonder if the rest of the staff upped Al's meds, put him to bed on Wednesday night, let him sleep until Saturday, and told him that the first round was still Saturday.

Bruce Campbell and Jacoby Ford were workout freaks, and are great fourth-round picks...unfortunately, he'd normally be all over them in the first or second. :shifty:

All in all, the Raiders probably had a better draft than anyone else in their division, counting the addition of Jason Campbell.

Campbell's an absolute steal that late. He was a late 1st/2nd round player based on his physical skill and upside, in my opinion. He's big, very strong, has huge, long arms and some of the quickest feet I've ever seen on a tackle. The Maryland coaches just suck dick at actually coaching and developing players; it's the same thing that happened with DHB.

• Like 1

Plus, his name is Bruce Campbell. He can't suck; it wouldn't be possible. Even if he's just a so so football player, he can give you tips on making love, and that should have a positive effect on team morale.

With the news that the Oakland Raiders are poised to release disappointing former top overall pick JaMarcus Russell, we're hearing some details about where Russell stands from a conditioning standpoint.

And it's not a positive development.

According to a league source with knowledge of the situation in Oakland, the hefty quarterback has beefed up to 300 pounds.

We're also told that the former LSU star isn't getting good advice from his family.

"It's a drag on the kid and they encourage his poor lifestyle," an NFL source told National Football Post.

We're told that Russell receives strong, positive support from his mother and grandmother. He has a tattoo of both women on his arm.

With Russell's big contract, lack of conditioning, the acquisition of Jason Campbell and the presence of Kyle Boller and Bruce Gradkowski, the handwriting is carved into the wall on this one.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-JaMarcus-Russell-is-tipping-the-scales-at-300-pounds.html

This guy just doesn't get it

Someone told him he'd be more valuable if he was able to multitask, so he's trying to offer the Raiders help at DT?

Possibly heralding a return to players playing both sides of the ball? I know a lot of WRs who would love to be a corner and get congratulated for deflecting a ball away instead of chastised for dropping a pass.

Someone told him he'd be more valuable if he was able to multitask, so he's trying to offer the Raiders help at DT?

Possibly heralding a return to players playing both sides of the ball? I know a lot of WRs who would love to be a corner and get congratulated for deflecting a ball away instead of chastised for dropping a pass.

The amount of money tied up in players these days would make that too much of a risk, sadly.

Yes, because it makes far more sense to pay someone 4 million a year to play one position then to play 2.

No, but it does make more sense not to risk your receiver by playing him twice as hard and putting him in the position to get hit twice as much when you're paying him $30 million base plus bonuses for scoring.

I'm not trying to start a debate, but in 2005 Muhsin Muhammad was paid $9,335,407 which broke down to $2,333,851 per 4 touchdowns. Now, I know that salary is before bonus money and that it is also not how the pay is broken down, but it's one way to look at it. You cannot tell me that it's worth the injury risk to have him getting hit twice as much with those numbers on the table.

Logically it may make sense in a way, but that's not what the figure heads are looking at on paper.

I've always thought it would make sense for there to either be a salary cap for rookies or instead of huge contracts with signing bonuses for someone unproven, a base salary with the majority of the money in the contract being tied to incentives like performance bonuses, making the Pro Bowl, etc. That way teams don't end up paying tons of money to someone who is practically committing grand theft larceny by being paid millions of dollars to suck, and someone signed in the late rounds of the draft or even signed as an undrafted free agent doesn't end up being underpaid if they turn out to be a Hall of Famer in the making from the get-go.

I've always thought it would make sense for there to either be a salary cap for rookies or instead of huge contracts with signing bonuses for someone unproven, a base salary with the majority of the money in the contract being tied to incentives like performance bonuses, making the Pro Bowl, etc. That way teams don't end up paying tons of money to someone who is practically committing grand theft larceny by being paid millions of dollars to suck, and someone signed in the late rounds of the draft or even signed as an undrafted free agent doesn't end up being underpaid if they turn out to be a Hall of Famer in the making from the get-go.

They need to do what the NBA did and implement a rookie cap so you don't end up with Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson getting a guaranteed $68 million contract before he plays a minute. Bradford is likely to get close to that much in guarantees and that doesn't even deal with the entire scope of the contract which is just flat out absurd. Teams that miss on a top 10 overall pick in the NFL *coughMattMillencough* are penalized for years to come because they wasted millions on a bust (or four) while an NBA team can get out from underneath the strain of a terrible decision much more easily. Just think about how much worse Detroit's choice in the 2003 NBA Draft would have been if the Pistons actually had to commit $50 million to an utter bum like Darko Milicic and watch as 'Melo, D-Wade and Bosh became perennial all stars.

Edited by naiwf