The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

The sad thing about the Vikings comeback is that Childress can keep his job for another week and sit there and go "Hey we don't need Randy Moss to throw the ball." You have a top 3 running back and he's an afterthought because Childress is at the mercy of Captain Cockshot Brett Favre.

I have no idea how the Jets managed to take this game to overtime.

Luck. Thank you luck.

Because Suh missed the XP.

Does anyone know what the hell was going on there? I know Hansen got hurt.

Hansen went down and Suh obviously felt confident enough to kick the PAT. Welker kicked one for the Pats today too, but he's practically an NFL quality kicker anyway.

I fell kind of bad for the Seahwaks, looking at how much they gave up for Whitehurst. Seeing Eli and Nicks light it up is always fun though! :D

and what a bullshit call during the Eagles/Colts game. Collie lowered HIS head, yet Coleman gets the penalty. And, of course, Coleman will get a HUGE fine for it

and what a bullshit call during the Eagles/Colts game. Collie lowered HIS head, yet Coleman gets the penalty. And, of course, Coleman will get a HUGE fine for it

How did you not see the guy hit him in the back of his head with a helmet to helmet?

Also, lol Seawhos.

Definately, and I hope he's ok and not seriously injured, but come on. Its stuff like that they need to address. When the offensive player lowers his head, why flag the defense? Oh right, because defensive players can do no right

How did you not see the guy hit him in the back of his head with a helmet to helmet?

Also, lol Seawhos.

I didn't see it because he was a runner, and as they've plainly stated, as a runner there isn't helmet to helmet contact. Plus COllie was the one who lowers his helmet. Had he kept his head up, he wouldn't have gotten hit in the head like that. But we can't blame him for that of course, its the defenders fault...

Also, lol Seawhos.

And how do you not see that at the time he was a runner and according to the rule helmet to helmets are not illegal when he is a runner.

Supposedly they went with Suh because he used to play soccer.

It was a fucking stupid decision, if Hanson was hurt, and they didn't want to use Nick Harris (the punter), then they should have went for two. Same risk, higher reward.

Yeah, That's what I was thinking - I'd take my punter over a lineman even if he did used to play soccer.

Didn't see the Collie hit but from what I hear I don't think I want to see it, Hope he's ok.

http://www.groundreport.com/Sports/NFL-2010-FINES-HANDED-OUT-FOR-FLAGRANT-HITS_2/2930211

NFL 2010: FINES HANDED OUT FOR FLAGRANT HITS

by Oldhead1 for Sports No Limit October 19, 2010

NFL Fines Three Players a Total of $175,000 for Flagrant Violations of Player Safety Rules

The NFL announced today that three players – Pittsburgh’s JAMES HARRISON ($75,000), New England’s BRANDON MERIWEATHER ($50,000) and Atlanta’s DUNTA ROBINSON ($50,000) – have been fined a total of $175,000 for flagrant violations of player safety rules.

The fines were issued by NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations RAY ANDERSON, who informed the players today. In letters to each player, Anderson said, “Future offenses will result in an escalation of fines up to and including suspension.”

In the second quarter of Pittsburgh’s game against Cleveland, Harrison unnecessarily struck a defenseless receiver in the head and neck area. That action violated Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8 (G) of the NFL Official Playing Rules, which states that it is unnecessary roughness if the initial force of the contact by a defender’s helmet, forearm, or shoulder is to the head or neck area of a defenseless receiver who is catching or attempting to catch a pass. Anderson added that the action also violated Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8 ( H ) of the NFL Official Playing Rules, which states that if a receiver has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself, a defensive player is prohibited from launching (springing forward and upward) into him in a way that causes the defensive player’s helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm to forcibly strike the receiver’s head or neck area – even if the initial contact of the defender’s helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm is lower than the receiver’s neck.

2 things though, 1. He didn't launch at him, and 2. Collie had time to protect himself and lowered his own head. So in my eyes legal hit under the rule.

Either way this stuff is getting ridiculous. The game is going to evolve into 2-hand touch soon. I mean in the same game there was a roughing the passer call on Vick that was very suspect.

And where did you see Coleman launch himself? Collie clearly tried to protect himself by bending over and putting his head down. If anything, Mikell hitting him from behind drove Collie into Coleman Hell, even the halftime guys were saying it shouldn't have been a penalty. That wasn;t a flagrant hit..that was a hit that came about from a defender making a play in a hard hitting game.

And now Coleman will get a hefty fine for no reason. The appeal will be useless, going right back to Goodell. I hope the new CBA includes fines being appealed to independent arbitrators.

But Collie DID have time to defend himself. He took two steps, tucked his head and got hit. He wasn't a defenceless reciever, he was a runner. It was a clean hit according to the rules, the refs called it wrong because it was such a big nasty hit.

Edited by The Cool One

I disagree that it was a bad call. I REALLY disagree with the notion that the NFL is going to be a 2 hand touch league when guys can't savagely drive their helmet into the back of someone's neck. Bitch all you want about the lame calls they make against QBs, but generally speaking when someone has been knocked out before they hit the ground, it wasn't a "put a dress on them" situation. What is it with the fans of Pennsylvania teams wanting to see people die on the field before a call gets made? :shifty:

• Like 1

Please. It was a blown call. A violent hit? Yes. But to say it was an illegal hit under the situation and guidelines set forth for such hits is ridiculous.

And I don't want the guy to die, I just want the right call to be made.

Please. It was a blown call. A violent hit? Yes. But to say it was an illegal hit under the situation and guidelines set forth for such hits is ridiculous.

The right call by your definition is that anyone other than a QB can get hit with a helmet anywhere on his person and not get flagged for it, and that's because the rule basically makes everyone other than QBs expendable.

The right call by your definition is that anyone other than a QB can get hit with a helmet anywhere on his person and not get flagged for it, and that's because the rule basically makes everyone other than QBs expendable.

I think the rule is if the person is an active runner and if a QB goes all Mike Vick and runs from the pocket, he's the same as any other player. There really is no debating it, by the rulebook, it was a clean hit. Does the rule need to be changed? That's debatable. It really was an unlikely occurence, the first guy who hit Collie turned him into the other guy who fucked him up

I think the rule is if the person is an active runner and if a QB goes all Mike Vick and runs from the pocket, he's the same as any other player. There really is no debating it, by the rulebook, it was a clean hit. Does the rule need to be changed? That's debatable. It really was an unlikely occurence, the first guy who hit Collie turned him into the other guy who fucked him up

This pretty much.

But the more glaring question coming out of this game... I can't be the only one that hates listening to Phil Simms call a game, right?