The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

If the Jets are going to beat the Steelers, they are going to have to play worlds better than they did against the Patriots, IMO. And Nick Folk is going to have to make a field goal. We will see how the game plays out though.

They sacked the QB five times. They confused Brady all night long. They held Patriots to 14 points until that last drive where it didn't hurt them one bit to have time get taken off the clock. I'm not saying that the last TD doesn't count....it does but the game was pretty much decided by that point. Even if Pats had recovered that 2nd onside kick the Pats really only had a chance to throw the ball once into the end zone on a hail mary. We're not talking about a team that hasn't won on the road or beat Pittsburgh. They just beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh just a month ago. They have 4 road wins in the playoffs in the last 2 years. How about some credit? I don't care the Patriots went for it on 4th down or if they tried a fake punt. That's part of the game. If they had converted those the conversation would have been about Ryan being outcoached and the Patriots doing whatever they needed to get the win. Fact of the matter is that they didn't convert. The Jets D did their job against Brady all night. Sanchez has been solid in his playoff career and the running game can explode at any given point.

If you want to nitpick lets just go to the Ray Rice fumble. If that fumble doesn't happen the Steelers don't win.

Time to give the Jets some credit.

If the Jets are going to beat the Steelers, they are going to have to play worlds better than they did against the Patriots, IMO. And Nick Folk is going to have to make a field goal. We will see how the game plays out though.

They sacked the QB five times. They confused Brady all night long. They held Patriots to 14 points until that last drive where it didn't hurt them one bit to have time get taken off the clock. I'm not saying that the last TD doesn't count....it does but the game was pretty much decided by that point. Even if Pats had recovered that 2nd onside kick the Pats really only had a chance to throw the ball once into the end zone on a hail mary. We're not talking about a team that hasn't won on the road or beat Pittsburgh. They just beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh just a month ago. They have 4 road wins in the playoffs in the last 2 years. How about some credit? I don't care the Patriots went for it on 4th down or if they tried a fake punt. That's part of the game. If they had converted those the conversation would have been about Ryan being outcoached and the Patriots doing whatever they needed to get the win. Fact of the matter is that they didn't convert. The Jets D did their job against Brady all night. Sanchez has been solid in his playoff career and the running game can explode at any given point.

If you want to nitpick lets just go to the Ray Rice fumble. If that fumble doesn't happen the Steelers don't win.

Time to give the Jets some credit.

The Steelers forced that fumble.

Time to give the Steelers some credit.

Also, the Jets barely beat the Steelers who were without two of their best players on both sides of the ball. And since that game Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown have established themselves as big time receiving threats.

The key to this game is going to be how well Ben handles the Jets dropping 8 guys into coverage.

The Jets want to keep the game close. They want to prevent the Steelers (who were the most explosive offense in the AFC coming into the playoffs) from hitting big plays. They're going to drop 8 guys and hope the Steelers do what Indy and New England did and take what the Jets give them.

Ben and Bruce Arians won't do that. They're not going to sit back and take what the Jets are conceding to them, that's just not their style.

If and when the Jets drop 8, Hines Ward and Heath Miller will be open underneath. Manny Sanders will be open on crossing routes. And after they gash the Jets a few times, they'll wait for the Jets to apply some pressure, or only drop 5 or 6, and if the Steelers get Wallace on Revis without a safety over the top...they'll take a shot downfield.

Ben and Bruce Arians won't do that. They're not going to sit back and take what the Jets are conceding to them, that's just not their style.

If and when the Jets drop 8, Hines Ward and Heath Miller will be open underneath. Manny Sanders will be open on crossing routes. And after they gash the Jets a few times, they'll wait for the Jets to apply some pressure, or only drop 5 or 6, and if the Steelers get Wallace on Revis without a safety over the top...they'll take a shot downfield.

That isn't Brady/Pats and Manning/Colts style either, they tend to blow defenses any way they come at them but they still lost. Steelers already lost once to this team, it obviously can happen twice.

If Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon and Deion Branch couldn't get over Revis I highly doubt Mike Wallace is going to. Not saying he won't or can't, just that his chances don't look good.

That isn't Brady/Pats and Manning/Colts style either, they tend to blow defenses any way they come at them but they still lost. Steelers already lost once to this team, it obviously can happen twice.

Really? Neither team relies on the short passing game? Please.

The Steelers offense is built to go deep down the field. Both Brady and Manning make their living on short to intermediate routes and taking what the defense gives them.

That's why Brady beats the Steelers so much. He tears apart the 5-10 yard cushion the Steelers DBs give the receivers.

And I never said the Steelers can't lose this game. I'm nervous about it. Jets are a good team.

If Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon and Deion Branch couldn't get over Revis I highly doubt Mike Wallace is going to. Not saying he won't or can't, just that his chances don't look good.

Revis doesn't have the speed to run stride for stride with Wallace. That's why Cromartie was on Wallace a lot in the first game. Revis is better suited covering Hines Ward, and Ryan likes to put his DBs in winnable matchups.

He will switch them around but he likes to put them mostly on guys who they can shut down. Revis is a great corner, but he's not fast enough to run stride for stride with Wallace. Revis also likes to jam receivers at the line, if Wallace beats the jam he's already gone.

Edited by Evil Chase K

Nice of you to take a moment away from doing PR work for Roethlesberger to come here and quote one line from my post and twist its meaning.

I don't care who forced fumble. Only thing that matters is that Rice fumbled. End of story. If Ravens score on that drive the game is over. But that is sports. One team

makes mistakes Nd the other team gets to capitalize on them. The fact that Pats failed on 4th down conversion and on fake punt doesn't hurt Jets win. They forced Pats/Brady/Bellichick into situations where they ended up making bad decisions. That is sports. If that fake punt works everyone would be praising Bellichick for gutsy call. The Patriots were chasing points from the start.

Again, we're not talking about a team that hasn't yet defeated the Steelers, beat good QBs or win on the road in the playoffs. They've done all 3. Injury excuses are lame. Unless your QB is hurt, your entire WR corps is out or you're down to 3rd and 4th string guys at key positions please stop with the injury talk. This is the NFL playoffs. Everyone has injuries. Everyone has guys playing hurt.

Hey guys, you hear Roethlisberger raped a girl last summer?

In all seriousness though, Packers-Jets Super Bowl. I'm buying into all the Jets hype, because any team that can stop Peyton and Brady in back to back weeks can definitely stop Roethlisberger. Not saying he's not a good QB, but Peyton and Tom are 2 of the greatest, ever. Ben, while he probably will at least get close, isn't on their level. If they can get Sanchez to play within the system and figure out a way to control the ball, they're golden. On the NFC side, there's no better QB in the tournament than Aaron Rodgers. The dude's absolutely playing lights out right now, and that'll be the difference in this game.

You realize his post-season winning percentage is higher than both of them right?

Brady also hasn't won a damn thing since Spygate. 0-3 in his last three playoff games.

Ok, this right here ... this is what does it.

Really ? A QB's "winning percentage" is as joke of a statistic as the sabermetric guys think that the RBI stat is. Ben, is NOT on the level of Brady/Manning. This isn't a statement about whether he's good or not, or whether he wins or not. It's about how good he himself actually is. Big difference. His TD-INT ratio in that great winning percentage in the post season ? 15-12 ... FANTASTIC. I'd love to see how Brady or Manning would have done with the D's that Ben has had .... just saying.

Wait, they will be open ? You mean like Edlemen and Welker were open underneath ? You speak matter of factly ... you already watch the game or something ?

• Like 1

Polamalu didn't play when the Jets won. That's like watching an episode of Seinfeld without Jerry in it. You have to be absolutely mistake-free to beat the Steelers D when he's out there, it's why the Ravens can't do it. Ben can, does, and will keep the game close. He'll put himself in a position to win the game. In the playoffs there is absolutely no QB who is better, forget Brady and for godsakes get Manning out of the discussion. Sanchez will need to play the game of his life, he will have to be on target with his receivers, he'll have to know when and where to scramble, when to throw the ball as far away as possible, and when to just say fuck it and go down for the sack. He hasn't been able to do this all year. And as I recall his game against Pittsburgh wasn't his best. Now he's facing Pittsburgh in the playoffs with Polamamlu, the three P's are nearly impossible to beat. Certainly much harder than Indy and New England.

That post hurt to write up. But I feel myself a pretty good expert on the Steelers since they're such big rivals, so there you go.

• Like 3

Again, we're not talking about a team that hasn't yet defeated the Steelers, beat good QBs or win on the road in the playoffs. They've done all 3. Injury excuses are lame. Unless your QB is hurt, your entire WR corps is out or you're down to 3rd and 4th string guys at key positions please stop with the injury talk. This is the NFL playoffs. Everyone has injuries. Everyone has guys playing hurt.

Yeah no shit.

The Jets are a good team, they can very well win this game. I never said anything differently.

Really ? A QB's "winning percentage" is as joke of a statistic as the sabermetric guys think that the RBI stat is. Ben, is NOT on the level of Brady/Manning. This isn't a statement about whether he's good or not, or whether he wins or not. It's about how good he himself actually is. Big difference. His TD-INT ratio in that great winning percentage in the post season ? 15-12 ... FANTASTIC. I'd love to see how Brady or Manning would have done with the D's that Ben has had .... just saying.

I'd also love to see what they would have done with Ben's offense line. They'd get killed.

You can claim that Ben isn't as good, that he benefits from a great defense, but the guy is a winner. When the game is on the line, he's the guy I want.

Wait, they will be open ? You mean like Edlemen and Welker were open underneath ? You speak matter of factly ... you already watch the game or something ?

Brady had open receivers all day. He shit the bed. He felt pressure when it wasn't there. He was rattled. He was looking for a place to go down at the first sign of a Jets player in the backfield.

The Jets won't man up on everyone. They'll have to play zone. Hines and Heath make a living finding soft spots in the zone. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that they'll be open.

If you want to argue semantics or word choice, be my guest. But that doesn't change reality.

For those wondering, if you get rid of the Brad Smith kickoff return to start the game and the Mewelde Moore safety you're looking at the Steelers having won that game 17-13. Mendenhall had almost 100 yards on the ground, and Wallace caught for more than 100. Sanchez, and the offense as a whole, had a poor day. With Polamalu playing the Jets are going to need to rely on their running game even more, and, well nobody runs on Pittsburgh. Sorry guys, the Jets are going to need the luckiest game in NFL history on Sunday.

I'd also love to see what they would have done with Ben's offense line. They'd get killed.

You can claim that Ben isn't as good, that he benefits from a great defense, but the guy is a winner. When the game is on the line, he's the guy I want.If you want to argue semantics or word choice, be my guest. But that doesn't change reality.

Ok, you simply don't read. I've officially hopped on the Maxx blinded viewpoint of you. Holy fuck man. I JUST FUCKING SAID it wasn't about Ben being good or not, or winning or not. Seriously, you didn't even read what I said. You simply jumped into your prime directive : BEN IS GOD, BEN DOES NO WRONG, I AM RIGHT BECAUSE I AM STEELER FAN YOU ARE ALL MISGUIDED AND SPEAK FALSE TRUTHS

Yes, the Steelers win and he's been a good QB up to this point in his career. It's also clear to everyone except you that the DEFENSE leads/carries that team. Guess what, it's not the first time it's happened in Pittsburgh. Bradshaw was a damn good QB and he won ... but is sure as fuck wasn't him that led that team. The Steal Curtain did. It isn't a knock on either player .. it's a fact.

And seriously, don't talk to me about word choice/semantics when you don't even fucking read what people are saying to you. You really have drifted off into blind ass homerism with your responses to everything.

Fuck, I'm a Bills fan ... Jim Kelly was a damn fine QB ... but he ain't on the level of Marino and Montana.

Hey guys, you hear Roethlisberger raped a girl last summer?

In all seriousness though, Packers-Jets Super Bowl. I'm buying into all the Jets hype, because any team that can stop Peyton and Brady in back to back weeks can definitely stop Roethlisberger. Not saying he's not a good QB, but Peyton and Tom are 2 of the greatest, ever. Ben, while he probably will at least get close, isn't on their level. If they can get Sanchez to play within the system and figure out a way to control the ball, they're golden. On the NFC side, there's no better QB in the tournament than Aaron Rodgers. The dude's absolutely playing lights out right now, and that'll be the difference in this game.

You realize his post-season winning percentage is higher than both of them right?

Brady also hasn't won a damn thing since Spygate. 0-3 in his last three playoff games.

Yeah, but that's mostly due to the defense being so dominant. Plenty of "game managers" won games in the post-season. In the overall body of work, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are far and away the #1 and #2 quarterbacks in the NFL right now, and are talked about in the discussion for greatest ever. Ben isn't there yet.

Not discounting his accomplishments at all, he's a great quarterback, and if he hadn't been suspended would probably be an MVP candidate this year, but his overall body of work, like I said, is nowhere near Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. And this is coming from someone who hates both of them.

• Like 1