The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

For those wondering, if you get rid of the Brad Smith kickoff return to start the game and the Mewelde Moore safety you're looking at the Steelers having won that game 17-13. Mendenhall had almost 100 yards on the ground, and Wallace caught for more than 100. Sanchez, and the offense as a whole, had a poor day. With Polamalu playing the Jets are going to need to rely on their running game even more, and, well nobody runs on Pittsburgh. Sorry guys, the Jets are going to need the luckiest game in NFL history on Sunday.

Last I checked points from defenses and special teams counted too. It's fairly easy to twit statistics like that around. How about, Jets beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh without there offense really having to do anything. It was far from Sanchez's best game but you know what...he played a mistake free game. Can't ask for much more then that from a young QB. Yes, no one runs on the Steelers.....but the Jets were one of the two teams that did run on the Steelers this year. People have been knocking the Jets all year. I'm not guaranteeing a Jets win but saying they will "need the luckiest game in NFL history" is pretty dumb when they a) already beat this team this year and b)have repeatedly won on the road in the playoffs

You don't get kickoff returns for TDs in every game, you don't get safeties in every game. By running on the Steelers, the Jets managed what amounted to a pedestrian game against anyone else. And, yes, Sanchez did play mistake-free and he will have to do that and then some against Polamalu. The reason the Ravens can never win against the Steelers isn't because of or not because of Ben, it's because when it comes time for the big play the Steelers defense is there to make it. Roethlisberger then does the rest of the work. It's a dangerous combination, and for those wondering I rank Ben 4th on my QB list. His regular seasons sometimes leave something to be desired, and he was atrocious in his first Super Bowl victory. Where Ben kills you is when you don't lock the door and throw away the key. In that respect he's better than anybody in the league I believe.

I'm honestly expecting a repeat of the last two AFC Championships more than anything else, where the polished veteran QB beats the young deer-in-the-headlights QB.

I wouldn't mind any of the 4 teams winning the Superbowl this year, I just hope it's an exciting game.

Steelers I would like to see win and become the new Dynasty in the NFL (though it's not like they haven't done it before).

Jets I would like to see win in order to secure their first Superbowl (though I am not sure if it will stop the trash talking or magnify it).

Bears I really don't care for but it's been a while since they won a Superbowl.

Packers considering Arron Rodgers and the team just deserves it. They are also the most likable team this year.

Edited by Universal

Why is trolling allowed in this thread? It's pretty fucking obvious that Chase only posts things to annoy people here, and then plays dumb when he wonders "why can't I be allowed to be a fan here like everyone else?". The difference is everyone else can acknowledge flaws in their own team and don't specialize in being "devil's advocate" for a scumbag. I'm tired of one guy derailing threads EVERY season and then bitching that this is acceptable on other boards. If you like the other boards so much, STAY THERE. Big Ben doesn't read EWB. Send the fucking guy a love letter and a lock of your hair already since you apparently work with the national media and your goal in life is to be Mr. & Mr. Ben Roethlisberger.

• Like 6

Why is trolling allowed in this thread? It's pretty fucking obvious that Chase only posts things to annoy people here, and then plays dumb when he wonders "why can't I be allowed to be a fan here like everyone else?". The difference is everyone else can acknowledge flaws in their own team and don't specialize in being "devil's advocate" for a scumbag. I'm tired of one guy derailing threads EVERY season and then bitching that this is acceptable on other boards. If you like the other boards so much, STAY THERE. Big Ben doesn't read EWB. Send the fucking guy a love letter and a lock of your hair already since you apparently work with the national media and your goal in life is to be Mr. & Mr. Ben Roethlisberger.

At least then we'll know it was consensual.

• Like 6

How do you judge QB's Chase ? That's rhetorical by the way because I already know the answer (which is, whatever way makes Ben the best)

Going by what you're saying about Ben, you've obviously got to think that Curt Schilling is the best pitcher ever. If you don't, then you can't say what you're saying about Ben. They have the exact same situation.

Let's do it easy maths style though.

Of the 3, which one has consistantly had the best run game ?

Of the 3, which one has consistantly had the best defense ?

Of the 3, which has had the most consistant corp of WRs ?

.... that's open to everyone, not just you Chase.

The Pitt O-Line has been bad ? Really ? Since '04, when Ben has been in the league ... Fanaca made the Pro Bowl '04-'08, in '05 you had THREE lineman make it, '06 you had two (9 showings by the O-Line)... and then of course there's the fact that they've had an insane running game this whole time which as we all know, goes through the O-Line ...

Manning, in 5 more years of play, has only had 8 O-Line Pro Bowlers ...

Brady, in 4 more years of play, has had 6 O-Line Pro Bowlers ...

Where did I troll other than the Dawson crying photo?

I have always acknowledged the Steelers' flaws. But no one ever seems to say anything about that.

Also, where have I ever said anything about anything being acceptable on other boards?

Here's the deal...if people stop replying to me, I'll stop replying back.

You guys want me to not post at all, and then when I do you want me to let someone reply and then not saying anything back. Fuck that noise.

This is a discussion board, I am going to discuss things. Just because people disagree with me doesn't make them right, and it doesn't make them wrong. It's all about opinion.

I would say that Ben is at the stage now that Tom Brady was at around the same period of time in his career. I'm not saying Ben can't become an all-time great, or what have you, just that he's not there yet.

And, to answer your question, I judge QBs by a lot of things. Stats are a big part of it, because, if you're a great QB, you can put up numbers whether you have a sub-par supporting cast or not. Brady will win the MVP this year with a bunch of no-names (besides Welker) at skill positions. Peyton still had a good year in spite of the lack of running game, and the fact that Dallas Clark (one of the best TEs) was replaced by Jacob Tamme (not).

Phillip Rivers, who, in my estimation, is anywhere from #3 to #6 (depending on how I feel about Brees and Rodgers at the time), still threw for a gazillion yards despite not having Vincent Jackson for most of the season, missing out on a few games from Gates, and throwing to a bunch of street FAs.

So why don't we give the Super Bowl to whoever has the best stats?

There's also an argument that can be made that those guys put up better stats because they play in pass happy offenses.

There's only one stat, to me, that really tells you how good a QB is...Yards Per Attempt.

That will tell you how efficient a guy is.

Who cares if he throws for 4000 yards and the next guy throws for 3000 if the first guy has 100+ more passing attempts? I'll never understand that argument.

If I were absolutely pushed to "group" the QBs, I would put it something like this:

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Brees

Rodgers

Rivers

Roethlisberger

Now, I don't really think that going through all the QBs in the league is necessary, but you get my point, those guys in the 2nd group are all very close, but if Brady or Manning retired today, they would without a doubt be first ballot hall of famers, no question.

So then you would agree with the statement that Dan Fouts, Vinnie Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe and Fran Tarkenton are all better than Joe Montana?

Not at all, but a lot of people call Favre the greatest QB of all time, and he's only won one SB. Peyton's a big time stats guy with a Super Bowl and a bunch of MVP awards. Brady's had great stats, MVP awards, and 3 SBs.

Roethlisberger won 2 Super bowls, but one he played like shit. Like I said, he'll probably be mentioned among the greatest one day, and, if he keeps playing well, will be a HoF lock, but to say he's anywhere near the level of Brady or Manning is ludicrous.

For those wondering, if you get rid of the Brad Smith kickoff return to start the game and the Mewelde Moore safety you're looking at the Steelers having won that game 17-13. Mendenhall had almost 100 yards on the ground, and Wallace caught for more than 100. Sanchez, and the offense as a whole, had a poor day. With Polamalu playing the Jets are going to need to rely on their running game even more, and, well nobody runs on Pittsburgh. Sorry guys, the Jets are going to need the luckiest game in NFL history on Sunday.

Last I checked points from defenses and special teams counted too. It's fairly easy to twit statistics like that around. How about, Jets beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh without there offense really having to do anything. It was far from Sanchez's best game but you know what...he played a mistake free game. Can't ask for much more then that from a young QB. Yes, no one runs on the Steelers.....but the Jets were one of the two teams that did run on the Steelers this year. People have been knocking the Jets all year. I'm not guaranteeing a Jets win but saying they will "need the luckiest game in NFL history" is pretty dumb when they a) already beat this team this year and b)have repeatedly won on the road in the playoffs

You don't get kickoff returns for TDs in every game, you don't get safeties in every game. By running on the Steelers, the Jets managed what amounted to a pedestrian game against anyone else. And, yes, Sanchez did play mistake-free and he will have to do that and then some against Polamalu. The reason the Ravens can never win against the Steelers isn't because of or not because of Ben, it's because when it comes time for the big play the Steelers defense is there to make it. Roethlisberger then does the rest of the work. It's a dangerous combination, and for those wondering I rank Ben 4th on my QB list. His regular seasons sometimes leave something to be desired, and he was atrocious in his first Super Bowl victory. Where Ben kills you is when you don't lock the door and throw away the key. In that respect he's better than anybody in the league I believe.

I'm honestly expecting a repeat of the last two AFC Championships more than anything else, where the polished veteran QB beats the young deer-in-the-headlights QB.

All well and good aside from the fact that Sanchez hasn't had many "deer in the headlights" moments in his career. I think he cherishes the spotlight. You can argue that one moment was last year vs Manning in the playoffs. He's 3-2 vs Brady in his career including 2 wins at Foxboro. His 7-3 TD-INT ratio is pretty good in the playoffs. He's been to the championship game already. It's not like it is his first time around. You can make that argument in the Super Bowl but it is hard to argue that for this coming week.

It doesn't matter if kick returns happen every week. Brad Smith does bring that different dynamic. Different units of your team are supposed to pick you up. The offense didn't have its greatest game and were picked up by others. Sanchez has done the job and I truly believe LT/Greene and are due for a big game.

I wouldn't mind any of the 4 teams winning the Superbowl this year, I just hope it's an exciting game.

Steelers I would like to see win and become the new Dynasty in the NFL (though it's not like they haven't done it before).

Jets I would like to see win in order to secure their first Superbowl (though I am not sure if it will stop the trash talking or magnify it).

Packers considering Arron Rodgers and the team just deserves it. They are also the most likable team this year.

Uh....Jets do have a Super Bowl.

Edited by sahyder1

How do you judge QB's Chase ? That's rhetorical by the way because I already know the answer (which is, whatever way makes Ben the best)

Going by what you're saying about Ben, you've obviously got to think that Curt Schilling is the best pitcher ever. If you don't, then you can't say what you're saying about Ben. They have the exact same situation.

Baseball is a numbers based game so it's easy to rank players based on numbers. Individual success can be measured.

In football, individual success can't be measured as easily.

Let's do it easy maths style though.

Of the 3, which one has consistantly had the best run game ?

Of the 3, which one has consistantly had the best defense ?

Of the 3, which has had the most consistant corp of WRs ?

.... that's open to everyone, not just you Chase.

The problem with that is, by claiming Ben has had those benefits you are completely ignoring the fact that only times Brady and Manning won Super Bowls they had defenses who performed extremely well too.

Manning's had the most consistent WRs by the way.

The Pitt O-Line has been bad ? Really ? Since '04, when Ben has been in the league ... Fanaca made the Pro Bowl '04-'08, in '05 you had THREE lineman make it, '06 you had two (9 showings by the O-Line)... and then of course there's the fact that they've had an insane running game this whole time which as we all know, goes through the O-Line ...

Manning, in 5 more years of play, has only had 8 O-Line Pro Bowlers ...

Brady, in 4 more years of play, has had 6 O-Line Pro Bowlers ...

I can't believe someone who knows as much about football as you do is actually using the Pro Bowl as an argument on talent.

The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest, no more, no less.

Fuck, this discussion is still going? It's just seemingly become 'Oh, Ben is the best' with replies of 'Oh no he's not, the damn rapist!'. Who the fuck gives a shit? I'm hoping the game hurries up and arrives this weekend and this shit passes. Is Ben great? Yes. Is he the greatest? No. I'm one of the guys biggest fans, he's probably my favorite player of all time, but let's not over do it. He's a great talent, enough said. It's fine to have a debate on it, but it's become almost childish.

I'm hoping the Packers beat the Bears and of course we get past the Jets. I think the Packers will be a much harder game for us, which I want, because it's the Superbowl and I want to of course see the best game possible. Anything can obviously happen, but I feel we'll get past the Jets at the weekend, as long as we don't play as horrendous as we did in the first half against the Ravens/

Are you forgetting about SB III? Joe Namath becomes a legend by guaranteeing, and then delivering a win over the Colts.

If the Steelers outplay the Jets Sunday I'll be fine with it. This has been a great year. Although the Jets have ran their mouths about winning a Super Bowl, I wouldn't consider the year a failure given the big wins they've had. Plus, with Ryan and Sanchez at the helm things look very bright for the next several years. That being said, I still expect the win from Gang-Green, and I predict they do get it 24-16.

However, nothing will break my heart more than seeing Nick Folk cost this team an opportunity to go to the Super Bowl. Like I said, if the Steelers outplay them so be it...but please God don't let Folk end this run.

Edited by Panni89

Where did I troll other than the Dawson crying photo?

Whenever you say things like, people are entitled to their opinion . . . .but they'd be wrong because MY opinion is the only one that matters. So basically every post you've ever made on this thread in regards to the Steelers or your hero.

I have always acknowledged the Steelers' flaws. But no one ever seems to say anything about that.

:lmao: What flaws do the Steelers have in your eyes?

Also, where have I ever said anything about anything being acceptable on other boards?

Seriously, I'm not even that bad. If you people get so butthurt about me defending my team then you probably should stay away from the majority of NFL fan sites and message boards. Jesus.

There's you saying it's acceptable elsewhere WHILE TROLLING.

I could continue, but you're a bad joke and everyone else is tired of hearing the broken record.

Baseball is a numbers based game so it's easy to rank players based on numbers. Individual success can be measured.

In football, individual success can't be measured as easily.

Way to not answer the question. Schilling is EXACTLY like Ben. A good player at his position that has the numbers in the post-season as opposed to his overall body of work. SAME EXACT THING. If you rate been, the way you do and with the way you've spoken about him in regards to the Manning/Brady/Ben debate ... then yes, yes you do think that Schilling is on that kind of level in terms of pitching.

You can't admit that though because it would be you admitting just how flawed and homer'd out you are in your opinion of Ben.

I can't believe someone who knows as much about football as you do is actually using the Pro Bowl as an argument on talent.

The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest, no more, no less.

Well, when you opened the door to assinine with the post-season winning% I figured you'd at least allow the same level of return aimed at your stance. BUT, I knew you'd say something like this despite the fact that we're dealing with the fucking offensive line and not a glamour position.

All-Pro is much more telling yeah ? Since 2004 (when all three were in the league), Ben's got 5 All Pro lineman, Manning has 2, and Brady has 2.

The problem with that is, by claiming Ben has had those benefits you are completely ignoring the fact that only times Brady and Manning won Super Bowls they had defenses who performed extremely well too.

No, I'm not ignoring the fact that the years that Brady won his Super Bowls have also been with the best D's he's had and that when Peyton finally got it it was with the best he's ever had. Not at all what I'm saying.

WHAT I'M SAYING is that there is a difference between these three teams. Ben isn't in the league of Brady/Manning because it Ben leading the Steelers. Brady and Manning led their teams and just needed the defense to finally show up to get over the hump. The Steelers are the other way around. With their D and running game they only need a QB to be a step above the middle of the pack to win. I mean fuck, this team has ridden Neal O'Donnel to the Super Bowl with this formula. That formula hasn't changed.

Yes, Ben has stepped up and done things to lead at times. Yes, he's had moments where he's been the reason. OVERALL THOUGH the Steelers are led by their defense, period. The Colts and Patriots are not. They are led by Manning and Brady. THAT is the difference ... THAT is whay Manning and Brady are in a class above Ben.

You guys want me to not post at all, and then when I do you want me to let someone reply and then not saying anything back. Fuck that noise.

This is a discussion board, I am going to discuss things. Just because people disagree with me doesn't make them right, and it doesn't make them wrong. It's all about opinion.

There's a huge difference between discussion, and what you're doing. Until you figure that out this is going to be a recurring thing.

Rodgers is playing great football right now. He reminds me a lot of Ben.

We'll see what happens.

Note to drunken college girls:

Maybe stay away from Aaron Rodgers.

If Charlie Batch had to play 16 games this year, I still think the Steelers would have made the playoffs.

• Like 2

Well if your gonna put it like that... if the Jets had scored 50 pts. and the Steelers none the Jets would've won too. If Mark Sanchez had thrown 50 TD passes and ran for 50 more then the Jets would've won too. There's a million scenarios that IF they had happened the end result would probably be completely different.

The point is, it's not about IFS it's about facts and the fact is, Jets won Steelers lost. Doesn't matter how, what happened, what could've or should've happened. The end result is there and that's what matter, bitching and IFS won't magically turn the game around and give the other team the win.

And stop that shit ECK, it's fucking ridiculous.

Edited by Powerhart
  • Like 1

Rodgers is playing great football right now. He reminds me a lot of Ben.

We'll see what happens.

Note to drunken college girls:

Maybe stay away from Aaron Rodgers.

If Charlie Batch had to play 16 games this year, I still think the Steelers would have made the playoffs.

Considering how he's/they have fared every time he's stepped in for Ben ... I have no doubt they would.

:lmao: What flaws do the Steelers have in your eyes?

Let's see...

- AWFUL special teams.

- Bad O-Line with the worst LT in the NFL.

- Lack of depth in the defensive backfield.

Well, when you opened the door to assinine with the post-season winning% I figured you'd at least allow the same level of return aimed at your stance. BUT, I knew you'd say something like this despite the fact that we're dealing with the fucking offensive line and not a glamour position.

All-Pro is much more telling yeah ? Since 2004 (when all three were in the league), Ben's got 5 All Pro lineman, Manning has 2, and Brady has 2.

Ben's All-Pro lineman was terrible in pass protection. Faneca is a Hall of Fame run blocker. He did not put out the best effort against the pass, nor was he very good.

:lmao:

Considering how he's/they have fared every time he's stepped in for Ben ... I have no doubt they would.

If you really believe that you're an idiot.

They lost to the Ravens in Heinz Field because Charlie Batch was their QB. There is no fucking way they even go 8-8 with Charlie fuckin' Batch as their QB.

Byron Leftwich might've gotten them 10-6 or better, but they don't make the playoffs without Ben.

They lost to the team with the 4th best record in the regular season with Charlie Batch? Well he's a fucking loser ain't he.

The Atlanta Falcons lost 4 games this year. One was to Dennis Dixon. Ben's not special.

Edit: Actually, without Ben, the Steelers won 2 out of 3 games against teams with winning records. With Ben, including playoffs, they've won 2 of 5.

Edited by pizzamonkey

Uh....Jets do have a Super Bowl.

Yeah sorry, that was a typo. I meant to type first Superbowl in several decades but skipped by that.

Edited by Universal