Major League Baseball 2010

Toe

I thought that was reported to be their opening figure? Back when he was trying to get basically terms and length to put him at free agency the same year as A-Rod? It's crazy and there's no way he gets it, but I don't see anything wrong for it if it's posturing to improve their offer. I doubt Jeter is asking for that any more, probably hasn't asked for it since his initial demand. If he is, he's the special kind of crazy.

If it makes you feel any better, some jabronis think the Mets should try to sign Jeter and move Reyes to 2nd because Jeter will draw "tens of thousands of people to CitiField every night". I guess I'm just underestimating the value of a soon to be 37 year old shortstop with no power and diminished speed. Can you imagine Jeter trying to hit his 316 ft flairs to right in spacious CitiField?

After all the years of Jason Giambi, Kevin Brown, Hideki Irabu... the Yanks finally decide to play hardball with Derek fucking Jeter. This amuses me to no end. I almost want the O's to spend too much to sign him just to embarrass the new brass in the Bronx. Not like we'll compete either way.

Personally, I think the offer that the Yankees have offered Derek Jeter is extremely fair. This is not a matter of "playing hardball." This is simply the Yankees don't want to be paying two 40 year old men 50 million collectively (Jeter and A-Rod).

15 Mil a year would make Derek Jeter the second highest paid middle infielder, only behind Tulo. Tulo is 27 years old...Derek Jeter is 36. DJ would already be making more money than guys like Hanley Ramirez & Chase Utley who are certainly better middle infielders as well. Don't get me wrong, Jeter should certainly be rewarded some extra money for the brand he's established for himself in the past 15 years, but he is receiving that. The Yankees offered 15 when realistically his numbers indicate he's worth no more than 10.

Also, nobody else is going to give Jeter the sort of money he wants. The Yankees have all the bargaining power here. Ultimately though I think he winds up with a contract where he makes 17-18 M a year. I feel like now Yankee fans will expect him to live up to those numbers when 2011 starts up.

The Yankees overpaid Jeter on his last deal. They'll cave in and end up overpaying again this time around. Jeter is an egotistical moron. Does he not realize that he'll lose most of his endorsements if he's not in a Yankee uniform? Does he not realize that the Yankees will keep him on the payroll for life? Jeter has never been able to accept that A-Rod was, is and continues to be the better player.

R.I.P. Ron Santo. :(

The Yankees re-signed Mariano Rivera for 2 years. Somewhere around $15 million per year.

I hate the Yankees, so I couldn't care less about the Jeter situation. But I have to say that the point of contention from the Yankees side should be the # of years on the contract more than the money. He wants 6 years, they offered 3. I think they should be willing to go to 4, but no more than that. The only way they should even consider going 6 is if those final 2 years are incentive laden rather than guaranteed money.

The Yankees overpaid Jeter on his last deal. They'll cave in and end up overpaying again this time around. Jeter is an egotistical moron. Does he not realize that he'll lose most of his endorsements if he's not in a Yankee uniform? Does he not realize that the Yankees will keep him on the payroll for life? Jeter has never been able to accept that A-Rod was, is and continues to be the better player.

Except for the part where until VERY recently Jeter was "Mr Clutch" and A-Rod sucked more dick than Christy Canyon in the playoffs.

Except for the part where until VERY recently Jeter was "Mr Clutch" and A-Rod sucked more dick than Christy Canyon in the playoffs.

Derek Jeter's career post-season line - .309/.377/.472

Alex Rodriguez's career post-season line - .290/.396/.528

But if you wanna say very recently then fine, let's take the last two playoffs out:

Derek Jeter - .309/.377/.469

Alex Rodriguez - .279/.373/.483

So they're closer but still more production out of A-Rod (.843 OPS for Jeter to .856 for A-Rod).

And if you compare the regular season lines (I know you weren't talking regular season but it speaks to sahyder's point) over the period during which both have been Yankees:

Jeter - .310/.379/.442

A-Rod - .296/.393/.559

Alex Rodriguez always has been and always will be the better player. He was actually a much better shortstop too, only the Captain was anchored to the position when the Yanks traded for him. For Jeter to want to get dollars and years equal to the contract a better player signed when he was 4 years younger than Jeter is now is absurd.

• Like 1

If you add in the RBIs to that list the numbers look so much better for A-Rod too. He has just 19 less RBIs in 84 fewer playoff games. Jeter has never been in A-Rod's league. A-Rod's struggles in the playoffs were so overblown.

Edited by sahyder1

Being British, I'm not really obliged to be interested in Baseball so to speak...

HOWEVER, despite not understanding it all, I did just watch the San Francisco Giants at Texas Rangers is it?

Sort of drifting in and out of it - but it's actually such a good fucking sport, man!

Definitely got to get myself into this, just got to get a more in-depth idea of how the game works to be honest!! I guess these American sports aren't so bad after all!

Being British, I'm not really obliged to be interested in Baseball so to speak...

HOWEVER, despite not understanding it all, I did just watch the San Francisco Giants at Texas Rangers is it?

Sort of drifting in and out of it - but it's actually such a good fucking sport, man!

Definitely got to get myself into this, just got to get a more in-depth idea of how the game works to be honest!! I guess these American sports aren't so bad after all!

Those were the two teams in the World Series yes. I know it was broadcast over there on satellite when it was happening live, how are you seeing it now, a month after it ended? Hopefully no one spoils it for you if you want to finish watching the whole thing.

I'm sure those of us around here will give you information on the rules and teams and history and such. And also the most important word of advice. Do not ever, under any circumstances, cheer for the New York Yankees.