The First Avenger: Captain America

livid

Yeah but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until at least a trailer is released. Especially since, if I remember correctly, not too many people were pleased with the hiring of Jon Favreau to do Iron Man either and that turned out to be a great decision.

I have no hope for this movie as Chris Evans may be solid in very few things, but his track record is tainted and he gets pretty lazy. (Cellular anyone?)

That coupled with the fact that it's a Joe Johnston movie has soiled everything for me. Hugo Weaving is the only remotely good part about this, but that doesn't mean dick. This will bomb harder than the last Superman.

lol, what's wrong with Cellular? It doesn't try to be anything it isn't, and that's from.. what, 2004, anyways? That was before most people even knew who Chris Evans was, lol. He's getting some quality roles now, and has been since Sunshine.. he's also the best choice for Captain America out of all the listed names. Dude's quality.

Huge Weaving's money, too. And so what if Joe Johnston's doing this? Terminator Salvation and G.I. Joe (especially G.I. Joe) both ended up being watchable (and awesome, in GI Joe's case). This is a stupid, mainstream, summer blockbuster. Best case scenario is they don't take the project too seriously, and it becomes the next Iron Man.

And who the hell is Wilson Bethel? I don't remember him on The Wire..

Wow. Where to start...

Cellular was box office garbage. It wasn't even a brainless popcorn movie. The acting was bad and the action was sluggish. Not to mention that it was a simple concept that they didn't do anything creative with.

Apart from that, let's get into Chris Evans since Sunshine (which I haven't seen, but hear it's fine.) He did the second Fantastic Four (awful), The Nanny Diaries (lawl), Street Kings (LAAAAAAAWL), and Push (wow, fuck off.) He did voicework for a movie called Terra which I hadn't even heard about and Loss of a Teardrop Diamond which was virtually panned by everyone and their mother. Decent roles? Methinks not. So is he quality? Far from it.

Now, onto Joe Johnston. Can you tell me what he had to do at all with Terminator Salvation and GI Joe? The fact is, both of those moneys are in another league of crap, but thankfully, the man didn't do anything with those movies. Terminator was McG and GI Joe was Stephen Sommers. Joe Johnston was at least fun at the beginning of his career with Jumanji. I enjoyed The Pagemaster, Honey, I Shrunk The Kids, and The Rocketeer as a kid. Then had a huge falling with me considering Jurassic Park III was pretty damn awful, and proceeded to suck at every movie he did since. Hidalgo was trash, October Sky even worse, and The Wolfman was a bad movie with entertaining values.

So, in conclusion, fuck off.

What the fuck's with the hostility? Holy shit.

Again, Cellular's a simple, stupid movie, but it's not like anybody was expecting it to break $100 million or sweep some award shows or anything, who cares?

Sunshine's a good movie, I'm guessing he was contractually obliged to do the second Fantastic Four (but who wants money, and to be in a summer blockbuster, right?), there was a point in time when Street Kings was considered to legitly be the next Training Day, back when it was known as The Night Watchman, and Evans is one of the few things in that movie that was half decent. Push could have easily of been a decent action flick if it would've fallen in a better directors' hands. Terra and Nanny Diaries both gave him some pretty big checks, I'm guessing. But again, god forbid an actor tries to get some money, right?

I just brought those up as recent examples of when fanbases go into meltdown mode just because what they perceived to be a useless director gets attached their projects; Terminator Salvation & GI Joe are fine for what they are. Are they masterpieces, and will they break the top 10 of IMDB's list or whatever the fuck? No, but they're not absolutely terrible films, either. They accomplished what they set out to do, and didn't kid themselves into taking the projects too seriously.

It's just a comic book movie to rake in the millions during the summer, dude. Chill out. They're not going to want to bring in Kathryn Bigelow & Russell Crowe, or some shit. Marvel's earned at least that much by now, haven't they?

Yeah, you lost me there. Just a comic book movie? The Comic Book Movie is arguably the biggest type of movie out there right now. I'd say the fact that it's a comic book movie means that it has a lot to live up to. Why on earth would anyone, producers, fans, director, actors etc. want to make something that's 'just' a comic book movie, when Batman Begins & Iron Man have proven that if you do a Comic Book film right, you can pretty much line yourself up for a future franchise and a hell of a lot of more money than you'd get if it wasn't done with full care. Captain America is one of the biggest heroes in Comic Book History, he's Marvels Superman, this isn't a film that any studio/director/producer should be going into with the mindset that 'it's okay if they don't take themselves too seriously'. This isn't the early 2000's any more, people expect a lot from a Comic Book movie now, you can't get away with making something like Daredevil. (even though, I loved Daredevil.)

But yeah, I lost most of my faith that this film would be good when I heard Joe Johnston was directing, and I can't say Chris Evans gives me much hope for it. And Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man was pretty much the best casting decision since someone out in Hollywood decided all those years ago that Al Pacino would be a good fit for Tony Montana.

edit: Also I'm totally not interested in the idea of Captain America in WW2. I'd much prefer a film based in Modern Times with a max of like... 20 minutes at the start of the film dedicated to his time in WW2.

• Like 1

Yeah, you lost me there. Just a comic book movie? The Comic Book Movie is arguably the biggest type of movie out there right now. I'd say the fact that it's a comic book movie means that it has a lot to live up to. Why on earth would anyone, producers, fans, director, actors etc. want to make something that's 'just' a comic book movie, when Batman Begins & Iron Man have proven that if you do a Comic Book film right, you can pretty much line yourself up for a future franchise and a hell of a lot of more money than you'd get if it wasn't done with full care. Captain America is one of the biggest heroes in Comic Book History, he's Marvels Superman, this isn't a film that any studio/director/producer should be going into with the mindset that 'it's okay if they don't take themselves too seriously'. This isn't the early 2000's any more, people expect a lot from a Comic Book movie now, you can't get away with making something like Daredevil. (even though, I loved Daredevil.)

Yes, but they don't require an army of Academy Award nominated screen writers, or the Lee Danielses or Roman Polanskis of the world in order to be successful, or even good. Both Batman Begins and Iron Man have pretty simple scripts, and weren't exactly helmed by literary or visionary geniuses (some may say Nolan is, but Batman Begins isn't anything special, and even he wasn't a 100% sure thing when he was hired). By "not taking it seriously", I mean not taking the subject matter to heart. More Iron Man, less TDK, basically. Captain America doesn't exactly lend itself well to a TDK-esque film, from what I know about the character/stories.

Since Marvel is so involved in this project, and since they understand that, if this doesn't go well, their Avengers movie may be fucked, I trust their decisions. As I've said, they haven't given me a reason not to.

And yeah, Marvel has only been directly involved in the production of the Iron Man and Incredible Hulk movies. Their only connection to the other movies is only that they are about Marvel characters, that's it.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

Wait, I'm not getting your point about Nolan? He had a pretty good track record before jumping on Batman Begins; and that film is rather awesome. I totally agree with Tkz, the first movie is a very big deal. It will set up a franchise and it will definitely impact the Avengers movie. Honestly, I can't wait to see Cap on screen. Maybe that's just the fan boy in me. But Marvel have done me right so far; both Hulk and Iron Man were both perfectly fun. Especially Iron Man. So I have faith in Cap.

Nolan had some street cred before Begins due to Memento & Insomnia, but from what I remember nobody was really jumping for joy when he got announced as the director because nobody knew if he could handle an action/Batman/big budget movie. There wasn't a vocal, "he's going to rape our childhood heroes and shit on their corpses!" backlash, or anything, but he was hardly a sure thing himself.

I'd say Memento and Insomnia inspire a lot more confidence in people about a director than Jurassic Park 3 and Hildago do. tongue.gif

lol yeah, definitely, but it does show that even Nolan had his detractors at the time. I'm just not as concerned about Johnston in this case because this isn't Joe Johnston's Captain America, it's Marvel's Captain America, and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until at least a trailer/script review/whatever is released.

As a matter of fact, Nolan was an inspired choice and most everyone as I recall was excited for his involvement on Batman Begins. Even more so when he cast Bale. Bad choice for your argument. As Nolan's Batman Begins went on the choices he made set virtually everyone at ease.

To blame the failures of Wolfman on Joe Johnston is to not know much about the very troubled history that this expensive movie had. This thiung was almost guaranteed to be a bomb before he took it over, as it was already extremely over budget at this time.

To say that MArvel could not acquire someone of Katheryn Bigelow's stature is a foolish thing to say. Look at Thor and Kenneth Branagh. I will wait as you look up his accomplishments and his pedigree.

Chris Evans is an actor that will divide the fanbase, because he has yet to have that ONE movie with that ONE role. Thus far Marbel have had two spectacular movies in Iron Man and The Hulk and chosen two awesome actors who have had many of those ONE roles. Evans is not ideal for me, but he is not the worst choice. Krazinski was the worst choice for me personally.

And it is kind of hard to do a Captain America movie and not have it set at least initially in WWII.

• Like 1

I think at the end of the day no matter who you cast or get as director or whatever, you are going to upset somebody, like you're never going to get a perfect casting there's always so called fan boys that will go on the internet and bithc about it much like wrestling fans bitch about WWE and TNA and that kind of stuff, I for one cannot wait to see Captain America up on the big screen whoever is playing him is going to be behind the mask os that's cool with me, alot of people are also saying hows he going to measure up to Iron Man and the rest in the Avengers, again lets just wait and see, also what about Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull possibly the Marvel Villain ever being played by a great actor and hopefully like in V for Vendetta if he does have a red skull mask he'll keep it on

To blame the failures of Wolfman on Joe Johnston is to not know much about the very troubled history that this expensive movie had. This thiung was almost guaranteed to be a bomb before he took it over, as it was already extremely over budget at this time.

I'm done picking apart Mysterio because he gives me a headache with his shitty tastes and logic.

I didn't explicitly mean that Wolfman's failure was Johnston's fault. In fact, I'm pretty positive it was the constant recutting that the movie went through over the last several months as it was getting pushed back. There was a complete lack of substance and proper transitions, and there was too much tacked on for the movie to flow properly.

Johnston has always had a pretty great visual style due to his visual effects start in the business. He did a fantastic job on various aspects of visual effects for the first three Star Wars movies. However, I can't help the fact that the second half of his career has been muddled by bad choices in movies and unfortunate luck.

I have very low expectations for this movie and maybe in some twisted way it's good because if the movie ends up surprising me, I can find a good amount of enjoyment in it.

• Like 2

As a matter of fact, Nolan was an inspired choice and most everyone as I recall was excited for his involvement on Batman Begins. Even more so when he cast Bale. Bad choice for your argument. As Nolan's Batman Begins went on the choices he made set virtually everyone at ease.

It was more of a "wait and see" approach. Like I said, he didn't inspire riots or anything, but the general consensus was hardly that he was the 100%, perfect candidate to helm that project. People gave him the benefit of the doubt, and there's no reason to not give Marvel the same courtesy on this.

To say that MArvel could not acquire someone of Katheryn Bigelow's stature is a foolish thing to say. Look at Thor and Kenneth Branagh. I will wait as you look up his accomplishments and his pedigree.

What are you talking about? Re-read my post, I never said they couldn't acquire a director of that talent, I said this project doesn't require a director of that talent. Clearly, as you've pointed out, they do have the resources to land people of that quality, yet they didn't feel the need to in this case. And I may be wrong here, but I doubt Marvel's purposely trying to sabotage the project. Again, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. They've earned that so far.

Chris Evans is an actor that will divide the fanbase, because he has yet to have that ONE movie with that ONE role. Thus far Marbel have had two spectacular movies in Iron Man and The Hulk and chosen two awesome actors who have had many of those ONE roles. Evans is not ideal for me, but he is not the worst choice. Krazinski was the worst choice for me personally.

Yeah, I agree with this 100% percent. He's not the best possible choice, and I never said he was. But he isn't the "holy shit, this film is RUINED now!" choice LL wants to make him out to be, either. That's a terrible overreaction on his part and, once again, I'm giving Marvel the benefit of the doubt. If they think he's the best choice to play their Captain America (and it hasn't even been made official, for fuck's sake), then I'm fine with it.

Falling at the first hurdle. Do you have any idea how much improvisation went into Iron Man? I'll give you a taster - Stark's speech to the soldiers, relating to the Jericho missile? Entirely improvised. That was all RDJ's work. Simple?

What the fuck are YOU talking about? Because Robert Downey, Jr. improvised an entire speech, that makes the actual, physical script more complex? What the fuck? The scripts are simple, but that's not a slight on their part at all. That just means that, much like Captain America, they didn't require overly complex writing.

Johnston has always had a pretty great visual style due to his visual effects start in the business. He did a fantastic job on various aspects of visual effects for the first three Star Wars movies. However, I can't help the fact that the second half of his career has been muddled by bad choices in movies and unfortunate luck.

That is EXACTLY why I don't mind him being the choice. Like I already said, this is Marvel's Captain America, NOT Joe Johnston's. They wouldn't have hired him if they thought Johnston would, out of nowhere, start ripping apart their script and make his own version of their story. This movie is pivotal to Marvel's long-terms plans, I'd be surprised if Johnston had any creative control, period.

Courtesy of AICN....

Closing out the story he broke last Friday, THR's Boris Kit is reporting that Chris Evans has accepted the role of Captain America. Says Kit, "The dealmaking moved so fast it's now all about dotting the i's and crossing the t's."

As I said last week, I think they've 100% got the right man for the job (please see Danny Boyle's SUNSHINE if you doubt his acting ability). Now it's up to Marvel and director Joe Johnston to knock this sucker out of the park.

Principal photography is expected to begin soon on THE FIRST AVENGER: CAPTAIN AMERICA. The film is currently scheduled to be released on July 22nd, 2011. That gives them plenty of time to find the perfect Bucky.

There's no chance of The Fantastic Four rights finding their way back to Marvel, are they? 'Cos some recasting would obviously need to be done for FF. It's a shame that some of the rights for other heroes belong to anyone but Marvel; I think it could make the Avengers movie kind of difficult.

There's no chance of The Fantastic Four rights finding their way back to Marvel, are they? 'Cos some recasting would obviously need to be done for FF. It's a shame that some of the rights for other heroes belong to anyone but Marvel; I think it could make the Avengers movie kind of difficult.

How? The only characters The Avengers is really lacking right now are Spiderman and Wolverine... but even then, much as I like those two characters, I highly doubt the film would suffer at all without them. They've also got the option to add Hank Pym, Wasp, War Machine & Bullseye in the actual film if they want, not to mention they'll probably also have Black Widow.

As it stands, the line up for The Avengers looks like this... Iron Man (RDJ), Captain America (Chris Evans), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Black Widow (Scarlett Johhanson), Nick Fury (Sam Jackson) and The Hulk (Ed Norton) in either a role as a hero or a villain. Plus the potential others I mentioned earlier.