The First Avenger: Captain America

livid

THR is reporting that Marvel Studios has offered The First Avenger: Captain America to Chris Evans, who played Johnny Storm/Human Torch in the "Fantastic Four" movies.

Marvel Studios would not confirm the development to ComingSoon.net/SuperHeroHype saying they don't comment on rumors.

The Hollywood trade says the offer would include starring in up to three "Captain America" movies plus The Avengers and appearances in several other Marvel movies.

Evans does have a scheduling conflict, however. He is committed to co-starring in the Anna Faris romantic comedy What's Your Number?. Both are scheduled to shoot this summer.

Joe Johnston will direct The First Avenger: Captain America in England for a July 22, 2011 release.

Source

Other names that have been rumored to be in the running the past couple of weeks include: Ryan McPartlin ("Chuck"), Mike Vogel (Cloverfield, She's Out of My League), Ryan Phillipe, Channing Tatum, John Krasinski, Chace Crawford ("Gossip Girl"), Patrick Flueger ("The 4400", Brothers), Garrett Hedlund (Friday Night Lights the movie, upcoming Tron: Legacy), Michael Cassidy ("Smallville", "The O.C."), Scott Porter ("Friday Night Lights" tv show, "Caprica"), and Wilson Blethel ("The Wire").

Personally, when I first heard that they were going through with a Captain America movie, I thought of Chris Evans so I hope this is true. I think he's given a lot of flack for some his roles in the past (it's really not his fault that the Fantastic Four movies are awful) but has proven with a couple of his more recent roles that he is a solid actor. A lot of people are also upset about the possibility of it being true because of his role as the Human Torch but with them rebooting that franchise anyways, I really don't see what the problem would be, especially with Ryan Reynold seemingly playing any comic book character he can get his hands on.

Also, word on who would be playing Red Skull was released last week as well...

Hugo Weaving ("The Lord of the Rings" and "The Matrix" trilogies) is reportedly in talks to play the villain Red Skull in Marvel Studios' The First Avenger: Captain America.

If he takes on the role, Weaving would be reuniting with The Wolfman director Joe Johnston.

Johnston and the studio are currently casting Steve Rogers/Captain America.

The film is expected to hit theaters on July 22, 2011.

Source

I'm not that familiar with the comic book so I really don't know if that's good casting or not, but Hugo Weaving in anything gets my seal of approval because he's awesome.

I have no hope for this movie as Chris Evans may be solid in very few things, but his track record is tainted and he gets pretty lazy. (Cellular anyone?)

That coupled with the fact that it's a Joe Johnston movie has soiled everything for me. Hugo Weaving is the only remotely good part about this, but that doesn't mean dick. This will bomb harder than the last Superman.

• Like 2

I have no hope for this movie as Chris Evans may be solid in very few things, but his track record is tainted and he gets pretty lazy. (Cellular anyone?)

That coupled with the fact that it's a Joe Johnston movie has soiled everything for me. Hugo Weaving is the only remotely good part about this, but that doesn't mean dick. This will bomb harder than the last Superman.

lol, what's wrong with Cellular? It doesn't try to be anything it isn't, and that's from.. what, 2004, anyways? That was before most people even knew who Chris Evans was, lol. He's getting some quality roles now, and has been since Sunshine.. he's also the best choice for Captain America out of all the listed names. Dude's quality.

Huge Weaving's money, too. And so what if Joe Johnston's doing this? Terminator Salvation and G.I. Joe (especially G.I. Joe) both ended up being watchable (and awesome, in GI Joe's case). This is a stupid, mainstream, summer blockbuster. Best case scenario is they don't take the project too seriously, and it becomes the next Iron Man.

And who the hell is Wilson Bethel? I don't remember him on The Wire..

I have full faith in this movie, these potential castings are entirely competent and in the case of Hugo Weaving, inspired. Hopefully this will follow in Iron Man's footsteps and prove to be

heilhitler.jpg

HEIL HITLER!

Yeah, my mistake, I was going by memory. He's actually from Generation Kill. I knew it was one or the other.

but lol at the idea that GI Joe was awesome.

It absolutely was.

Again, the movie didn't try to be anything it wasn't. It knew it was a corny, stupid, empty summer movie, so it just said "fuck it" and kicked shit into overdrive. It entertained me for the hour and a half or two hours or whatever, and seeing Joseph Gordon Levitt evil it up was pretty awesome.

lol, what's wrong with Cellular? It doesn't try to be anything it isn't, and that's from.. what, 2004, anyways? That was before most people even knew who Chris Evans was, lol. He's getting some quality roles now, and has been since Sunshine.. he's also the best choice for Captain America out of all the listed names. Dude's quality.

Huge Weaving's money, too. And so what if Joe Johnston's doing this? Terminator Salvation and G.I. Joe (especially G.I. Joe) both ended up being watchable (and awesome, in GI Joe's case). This is a stupid, mainstream, summer blockbuster. Best case scenario is they don't take the project too seriously, and it becomes the next Iron Man.

Wow. Where to start...

Cellular was box office garbage. It wasn't even a brainless popcorn movie. The acting was bad and the action was sluggish. Not to mention that it was a simple concept that they didn't do anything creative with.

Apart from that, let's get into Chris Evans since Sunshine (which I haven't seen, but hear it's fine.) He did the second Fantastic Four (awful), The Nanny Diaries (lawl), Street Kings (LAAAAAAAWL), and Push (wow, fuck off.) He did voicework for a movie called Terra which I hadn't even heard about and Loss of a Teardrop Diamond which was virtually panned by everyone and their mother. Decent roles? Methinks not. So is he quality? Far from it.

Now, onto Joe Johnston. Can you tell me what he had to do at all with Terminator Salvation and GI Joe? The fact is, both of those moneys are in another league of crap, but thankfully, the man didn't do anything with those movies. Terminator was McG and GI Joe was Stephen Sommers. Joe Johnston was at least fun at the beginning of his career with Jumanji. I enjoyed The Pagemaster, Honey, I Shrunk The Kids, and The Rocketeer as a kid. Then had a huge falling with me considering Jurassic Park III was pretty damn awful, and proceeded to suck at every movie he did since. Hidalgo was trash, October Sky even worse, and The Wolfman was a bad movie with entertaining values.

So, in conclusion, fuck off.

• Like 4

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I've seen people complain (elsewhere) about guys like Evans and Krasinski being offered the role because they're not as heroic as Cap. It's worth keeping in mind that this is an origin and World War II story - Cap is hardly the living legend he would be by the time the Avengers found him, he's just a young guy fighting for his country.

Wow. Where to start...

Cellular was box office garbage. It wasn't even a brainless popcorn movie. The acting was bad and the action was sluggish. Not to mention that it was a simple concept that they didn't do anything creative with.

Apart from that, let's get into Chris Evans since Sunshine (which I haven't seen, but hear it's fine.) He did the second Fantastic Four (awful), The Nanny Diaries (lawl), Street Kings (LAAAAAAAWL), and Push (wow, fuck off.) He did voicework for a movie called Terra which I hadn't even heard about and Loss of a Teardrop Diamond which was virtually panned by everyone and their mother. Decent roles? Methinks not. So is he quality? Far from it.

Now, onto Joe Johnston. Can you tell me what he had to do at all with Terminator Salvation and GI Joe? The fact is, both of those moneys are in another league of crap, but thankfully, the man didn't do anything with those movies. Terminator was McG and GI Joe was Stephen Sommers. Joe Johnston was at least fun at the beginning of his career with Jumanji. I enjoyed The Pagemaster, Honey, I Shrunk The Kids, and The Rocketeer as a kid. Then had a huge falling with me considering Jurassic Park III was pretty damn awful, and proceeded to suck at every movie he did since. Hidalgo was trash, October Sky even worse, and The Wolfman was a bad movie with entertaining values.

What the fuck's with the hostility? Holy shit.

Again, Cellular's a simple, stupid movie, but it's not like anybody was expecting it to break $100 million or sweep some award shows or anything, who cares?

Sunshine's a good movie, I'm guessing he was contractually obliged to do the second Fantastic Four (but who wants money, and to be in a summer blockbuster, right?), there was a point in time when Street Kings was considered to legitly be the next Training Day, back when it was known as The Night Watchman, and Evans is one of the few things in that movie that was half decent. Push could have easily of been a decent action flick if it would've fallen in a better directors' hands. Terra and Nanny Diaries both gave him some pretty big checks, I'm guessing. But again, god forbid an actor tries to get some money, right?

I just brought those up as recent examples of when fanbases go into meltdown mode just because what they perceived to be a useless director gets attached their projects; Terminator Salvation & GI Joe are fine for what they are. Are they masterpieces, and will they break the top 10 of IMDB's list or whatever the fuck? No, but they're not absolutely terrible films, either. They accomplished what they set out to do, and didn't kid themselves into taking the projects too seriously.

It's just a comic book movie to rake in the millions during the summer, dude. Chill out. They're not going to want to bring in Kathryn Bigelow & Russell Crowe, or some shit. Marvel's earned at least that much by now, haven't they?

Edited by Mysterio2000X
  • Like 1

Wow. Where to start...

What the fuck's with the hostility? Holy shit.

Again, Cellular's a simple, stupid movie, but it's not like anybody was expecting it to break $100 million or sweep some award shows or anything, who cares?

Sunshine's a good movie, I'm guessing he was contractually obliged to do the second Fantastic Four (but who wants money, and to be in a summer blockbuster, right?), there was a point in time when Street Kings was considered to legitly be the next Training Day, back when it was known as The Night Watchman, and Evans is one of the few things in that movie that was half decent. Push could have easily of been a decent action flick if it would've fallen in a better directors' hands. Terra and Nanny Diaries both gave him some pretty big checks, I'm guessing. But again, god forbid an actor tries to get some money, right?

I just brought those up as recent examples of when fanbases go into meltdown mode just because what they perceived to be a useless director gets attached their projects; Terminator Salvation & GI Joe are fine for what they are. Are they masterpieces, and will they break the top 10 of IMDB's list or whatever the fuck? No, but they're not absolutely terrible films, either. They accomplished what they set out to do, and didn't kid themselves into taking the projects too seriously.

It's just a comic book movie to rake in the millions during the summer, dude. Chill out. They're not going to want to bring in Kathryn Bigelow & Russell Crowe, or some shit. Marvel's earned at least that much by now, haven't they?

The hostility comes in when you decide to bring a passive aggressive argument and try to sound smart when the fact is, you're not.

Cellular was simple. Simple does not a good movie make. Simple is not good for entertainment. Simple is only good when you can creatively make it something watchable. Which Cellular, was, IN FACT, NOT.

Contractually obliged or not, Chris Evans phoned it in during Fantastic Four deux. Actors are given a job, and if they don't give it 100% then they don't deserve good credit. Who cares is Streets Kings was looked at as the "next" Training Day if it turned out to be garbage? If it didn't turn out to actually be like Training Day, then your argument is INVALID. You're right. Push could've been better, but again, it was not. Terra and Nanny Diaries, both are movies that fell under the radar. Neither of them had big budgets, thus, neither of them were big pay checks. Oh yes, god forbid an established actor like Chris Evans (which I'm sure you'll say isn't an established actor, but if you and I are discussing these merits, he's established ENOUGH) need the money for what is going to be a bad movie. Maybe you should look into the fact that Chris Evans isn't very good and isn't offered good movies so he has to settle for such bad roles. Which, I'm pretty certain, is 100% the case.

First of all, you're right, McG is useless. He has not made a single entertaining movie and the only good credit he has is being executive producer of Chuck. Which means he only sits around and picks his boogers. Stephen Sommers is less useless, but still pretty useless. The reason people go into meltdown when bad directors are added to movies, is because lo and behold they turn out as bad movies. It's pretty damn simple. It's common sense. For example: the two worst movies of 2009 Terminator and GI Joe.

I will not chill out because I want to fight you on your crappy logistics. :D

• Like 5

The hostility comes in when you decide to bring a passive aggressive argument and try to sound smart when the fact is, you're not.

Cellular was simple. Simple does not a good movie make. Simple is not good for entertainment. Simple is only good when you can creatively make it something watchable. Which Cellular, was, IN FACT, NOT.

Contractually obliged or not, Chris Evans phoned it in during Fantastic Four deux. Actors are given a job, and if they don't give it 100% then they don't deserve good credit. Who cares is Streets Kings was looked at as the "next" Training Day if it turned out to be garbage? If it didn't turn out to actually be like Training Day, then your argument is INVALID. You're right. Push could've been better, but again, it was not. Terra and Nanny Diaries, both are movies that fell under the radar. Neither of them had big budgets, thus, neither of them were big pay checks. Oh yes, god forbid an established actor like Chris Evans (which I'm sure you'll say isn't an established actor, but if you and I are discussing these merits, he's established ENOUGH) need the money for what is going to be a bad movie. Maybe you should look into the fact that Chris Evans isn't very good and isn't offered good movies so he has to settle for such bad roles. Which, I'm pretty certain, is 100% the case.

First of all, you're right, McG is useless. He has not made a single entertaining movie and the only good credit he has is being executive producer of Chuck. Which means he only sits around and picks his boogers. Stephen Sommers is less useless, but still pretty useless. The reason people go into meltdown when bad directors are added to movies, is because lo and behold they turn out as bad movies. It's pretty damn simple. It's common sense. For example: the two worst movies of 2009 Terminator and GI Joe.

There are countless simple, stupid movies released every year. There are countless quality actors who have stupid, simply credits on their resume. That doesn't disqualify them as good actors, or ban them from ever doing any project worth a thing later on in their career. If the guys at Marvel think Chris Evans is the best choice for what they want to bring to this project, then I trust them. They haven't given me a reason not to so far. Same thing with Joe Johnston. Is it ideal? No, but fuck it. Since their big play here is the Avengers movie, do you really think they'd put this movie into the hands of people who they didn't think would accomplish what they wish to do with this movie?

There's also plenty of movies that should have been good that turned out to be shit or, in the case of family movies, as they are so hit & miss, could have been hits that turned out to be bombs. Are we blaming the failures of those projects on Chris Evans now? I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now, and out of all the possible choices to play Captain America, he looks like one of the better ones.

But, we clearly have different expectations for mindless, Summer blockbuster movies, so whatever.

Out of curiosity, who would you rather they got to play him?

• Like 1

ahhh you'd want to see some of the comments on that superhero hype and some facebook fan pages, begining to see a similar vein here now too which is quite sad because at the end of the day movie makers don't really care what the fans think, People moaned and bitched and whined about Heath Ledger and Robert Downey Jnr. when they were picked for Joker and Iron man and they turned out great so i'd don't care who they pick or whatever just pick him get it over it and get to making the movie maybe then when we've all seen it we'll be able to criticise like it's been done by Marvel Studios who've been on the nail so far with there 1st two movies and IM2 is looking great too so hold on off on the flack

People moaned and bitched and whined about Heath Ledger and Robert Downey Jnr. when they were picked for Joker and Iron man

Mmmmmmmmno they didn't. I'm pretty sure the reaction on RDJ as Tony Stark was more "...holy shit, that makes perfect sense" than "harrumph he's not who i want thus is incompetent harrumph"

• Like 4

There are countless simple, stupid movies released every year. There are countless quality actors who have stupid, simply credits on their resume. That doesn't disqualify them as good actors, or ban them from ever doing any project worth a thing later on in their career. If the guys at Marvel think Chris Evans is the best choice for what they want to bring to this project, then I trust them. They haven't given me a reason not to so far. Same thing with Joe Johnston. Is it ideal? No, but fuck it. Since their big play here is the Avengers movie, do you really think they'd put this movie into the hands of people who they didn't think would accomplish what they wish to do with this movie?

There's also plenty of movies that should have been good that turned out to be shit or, in the case of family movies, as they are so hit & miss, could have been hits that turned out to be bombs. Are we blaming the failures of those projects on Chris Evans now? I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now, and out of all the possible choices to play Captain America, he looks like one of the better ones.

But, we clearly have different expectations for mindless, Summer blockbuster movies, so whatever.

Out of curiosity, who would you rather they got to play him?

Yes, there are stupid movies released every year, but that is mostly due to the ineptitude of Hollywood jumping on bandwagons faster than you mother during relapse. Never once did I say that actors are bad because they have "simple" credits on their resume. The fact is, yes, actors do need a payday, but when it comes to Chris Evans every movie he makes is a paycheck. Whether it be loads of money or little. He can't help but settle for roles due to the fact that he isn't good.

The guys at Marvel allowed Wolverine to be made. The allowed it be thought up, which isn't bad, but then they saw a script and didn't stop the beast.

Now, the reason as to why this will be bad. Your "fuck it" attitude is exactly what Hollywood panders to and that is why there isn't more quality movies released. You can't just say fuck it and accept a bad movie. It needs a more opinionated mindset than that. Summer Blockbusters may be fun and explod-y, but I expect them to entertain me. Not drill a hole into my brain and make me want to go on a murder rampage for having wasted 2 hours of my wonderful life that I like to take advantage of.

I never once blamed the movies that Chris Evans is in to be bad because of him, but he certainly isn't helping.

As for who I'd cast as Captain America? Nobody "known" comes to mind which is why I was sort of hoping for them to go for the unknown. This Chris Evans choice is just a cop out to get a smaller portion more butts in the seats. I'm guessing because they don't think they have a great script idea to be able to sell the movie on.

That or the fact that advertisers these days have no idea how to sell a movie unless it has a name attached.

Laziness breeds mediocrity and this movie is the epitome of that.

• Like 3

Marvel had no real control over the Wolverine movie decisions as 20th Century Fox owns the movie rights to the X-Men franchise. So they couldn't have stopped it. They're attached to it but they don't have full control over everything like they have with Iron Man and the latest Incredible Hulk movie and the future Avenger movies.

Marvel had no real control over the Wolverine movie decisions as 20th Century Fox owns the rights to the X-Men franchise. They're attached to it but they don't have full control over everything like they have with Iron Man and the latest Incredible Hulk movie. They couldn't have stopped it since they don't own the movie rights.

Fair point. But what about the lackluster Spider-Man series and Ghost Rider and Elektra and The Punisher? Along with Fantastic Four.

• Like 2

All of those rights were sold off before Marvel took over full control. The first movie in which Marvel had full control over everything was Iron Man. Everything before it was under the guidance of whatever studio those rights were sold to.

That's why Fantastic Four and to a lesser extent, Spiderman (well and the fact that I think Sony realized that Spiderman 4 wasn't going to draw since most people thought the 3rd sucked) are being rebooted because if they go so long without using the rights, the movie rights go back to Marvel.