Kick-Ass

edcq

You either see it as gratuitous and not really needed, or you see it as the guy staying true to the graphic novel the story was taken from.

I don't think Ebert issue is whether it stays true to the adaptation, but the violence existing in the first place. He makes allusions in the article that perhaps the movie shouldn't have been made in the first place given it's source material. As I said before, I don't agree with his point, I haven't seen the movie. But if what he is saying is right, I could see his point.

I'm assuming that there are things in place, such as parental consent, that shows that the immediate family of the girl have no concerns with her being involved in a film like this, I'm sure her bank balance and profile are both all the better for it, and the film is rated 15 here, whatever equivalent in the US, so it won't be exposed to anyone younger (or at least shouldn't). With the success of both graphic novel and superhero adaptations, the graphic novel in question has as much right to be made as any other.

I guess one of the main issues is that having something written on paper (an 11 year old swearing and killing) is a lot different then getting a real person acting it.

Yeah, the press in the UK have mostly slaughtered it from what I've heard. I'll readily admit that a lot of my enjoyment came from hearing a little girl say cunt and routinely kill rooms full of people. Does that make me morally bankrupt? :shifty:

Yeah, the press in the UK have mostly slaughtered it from what I've heard.

Not all of them. I'd heard a lot of good things, tempered with the fact that it is a UK production for the most part. So the UK media seem caught in two minds whether to condemn it or to laud the fact that a UK film is doing well.

Most of the reviews I've read have said good things about it but came to the conclusion that it's a travesty because you can't have a 12/13 year old saying that stuff. But most 13 year olds around my area will be pregnant within a couple of years. So swearing is the least of their concerns.

I honestly got to the Hit-Girl/Mark Strong fight scene (which is what I think was Ebert's biggest complaint) and came out of it going "... that was it?" I cringed a little, but I wasn't horribly offended.

Yeah, it was unsettling to watch the little girl get beaten up - but it didn't offend me. It was a movie, and Kick Ass was clearly over the top awesomeness. I loved the movie and Hit Girl kills a lot of people throughout the movie. She's just a little girl, and that's what the fight scene reminds the audience of.

I think everyone that's seen the film found Hit Girl awesome. Everyone seems to rave about her character and she is the star of the show, besides Nic Cage (who is so far beyond quality). I can't see how anyone would watch the film and take it so seriously that they'd be offended. Plenty of thirteen year old girls no the language, it's hardly offensive to hear.

Plus, it's a 15 in the UK. It's not like it's being show to a younger audience.

I read the comic today and i loved the way it was drawn. Story wise it was a bit strange... bad guys are forigners (best case scenario seems to be "african american")... there is a lot of homofobia going on... and i don´t get some of the violence, it´s just harsh for shock value.

I heared that the movie is a bit less depressing wen it comes to how the story unfoleds, and if it is shot nearly as good as the comic is drawn i´ll love to see it. Mark Miller just writes very strange stuff wen it comes to men, women, gays and violence.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Didn't read the Ebert review but agree with what others have said that there really wasn't anything to be offended about by Hit Girl. I thought she was a very well-rounded character when matched up with others like Kick-Ass. Kick-Ass's weapons were simply bludgeon or stun-based and didn't kill anyone until the very end. He doesn't even do drugs because he's essentially just a clean cut nerdy boy. Hit Girl by comparison is essentially a monster bred by her psychotic father to be a murder machine. To even suggest (as I'm sure Ebert probably does) that she glorified violence by being the most badass is kind of dumb because her only redeeming quality was how cute she was.

Also

"How do I get a hold of you?"

"You just contact the mayor's office. He has a special signal he shines into the sky. It's in the shape of a giant cock."

Fucking hilarious.

Frank Miller had nothing to do with Kick-Ass, even though you're right on the money in your assessment of him.

Ooops, well, reading it felt the same... all the testicle centered viollence, only blacks and other forginers as the bad guys (if it´s school bullys, grafity kids or the real bad guys, the dealers GF that invades his famely in the end)... it felt kinda odd reading it. If the comic would not have been drawn as awsome as it was i would prolly dislike it. But it seriusly might have been one of the most fluently drawn pices i have seen.

Did this movie not do so well? I was planning on going to see it Wednesday, but then I checked the listings and Kick-Ass was nowhere to be seen...shame, this looked pretty good.

Edit: Upon actually looking, it seems to just be the theatre near me that's taking this movie out, to replace it with "Furry Vengeance" :(

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I'm guessing it appeals to a very limited audience...mostly twenty-somethings, who are one of the hardest audiences to get into theatres. Obviously kids won't go to it, and I can't imagine many people above 30 or so would be interested.

I sort of winced at "wait until they get a load of me" at the end there.

Actually I think that's how the actual comic ends, so they probably didn't want to change it or kept it because they liked the chance to open it up more with some sort of sequel after that.

The difference between the film and the comic is that Red Mist is played by a twentysomething person with a badass goatee in the graphic novel... whilst he's a 16 year old in the film.

Therefore most of the cool 'looking upto' things are lost completely on a person who's an over-privileged 16 year old. HE'S SMOKING POT WHILST DRIVING A FUCKING CAR! HOW CAN THAT BE DONE BY A 16 YEAR OLD?

It's just shamelessly connecting the dots, it just screams of this conversation happening:

Director: So why did you stick the Bosses son in a brief few panels if you weren't going to expand upon them?

Mark Miller: Why did I need to? It's just a little thing to show that the boss is both feared yet integrated into the city.

Director: I don't like it, he's now going to become a major character and plot device.

Mark Miller: ...

The same problem happens with the 'ex' that Kick Ass has to beat up, that guy is the boyfriend of a black hairdresser in the graphic novel... but somehow becomes his love interests boyfriend because wasting a few minutes of film on a non-character wouldn't add anything to the story.

Besides, why would a 16 year old girl be going out with a twentysomething black gu... oh wait <_<

I sort of winced at "wait until they get a load of me" at the end there.

Actually I think that's how the actual comic ends, so they probably didn't want to change it or kept it because they liked the chance to open it up more with some sort of sequel after that.

Yeah, last panel of the epilogue.

Only see it today, fucking amazing.

I'd actually say it's one of my favourite movies EVER. Everybody played their roles brilliantly, just a blast of a movie that I'll probably watch a number of times in coming months. Couldn't agree more with what most are saying too, Chloe Moretz was immense and is by far my all time favourite movie hero, cant wait for Let Me In :wub:

Edited by JohnnyPerfect
  • Like 1