Make a six track "taster" download for your favourite artists....

Slayer- The best fucking band ever.

Point

Hell Awaits

Nile- Death metal with heavy Egyptian influences

Smashing the Antiu

Opening of the Mouth

Papyrus Containing The Spell To Preserve It's Possessor From Attacks Against He Who Is In The Water

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0KDNwNxldYhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-ALPh4LHs4

Iced Earth- Power metal with insanely technical riffs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3KsGo58hsIhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ_EGqAgRSghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxmbB2BWs_I

Sex Machineguns- Japanese traditional metal band who makes AWESOME MVs. And I HATE MVs in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzyW3tihPXo

Onigunsow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jbEflL9uJU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsV_WujImqU

Scorpion Death Rock -only found a live version on YouTube, sadly

Six Feet Under- Death metal band, fronted by the original vocalist of Cannibal Corpse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIJj7BIeVfQ

When Skin Turns Blue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiCY3OL6cdY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNpShIrNwpQTorture Killer

Shot In The Head

Machinae Supremacy- They call themselves "SID Metal" because they use a SID chip from a Commodore 64. Calling them metal is a bit of a stretch IMO...

Ronin

Ninja

Player One

SID Icarus

Oki Kuma's Adventure

Kaori Stomp

Cage- Traditional metal band. The fact that they are fairly obscure and Five Finger Death Punch is popular is a fucking travesty.

Metal Devil

I Am The King

Buried In The Box

Shoot To Kill

The Trigger Effect

King Diamond

Testament- Thrash band that goes borderline death in their last two albums.

The Ritual

Eyes of Wrath

Souls of Black

Trial By Fire

COTLOD

Seven Days of May

I'll get links up for MaSu, Cage, and Testament later.

Sex Machineguns- Japanese traditional metal band who makes AWESOME MVs. And I HATE MVs in general.

Onigunsow

Scorpion Death Rock -only found a live version on YouTube, sadly

Someone else has heard of the Sex Machineguns! :w00t:

Though, I would have put Tekken II on somewhere, I love that song. I managed to get my mate to play it on his radio show on Preston FM :D

The Getaway Plan

Hide Your Children!

Streetlight

Where the City Meets the Sea

Shadows

Red Flag

Sleep Spindles

Parkway Drive

Boneyards

Carrion

Sleepwalker

Romance is Dead

It's Hard to Speak Without a Tongue

Horizons

JET

She's a Genius

Are You Gonna Be My Girl?

Black Hearts (On Fire)

Cold Hard Bitch

Shine On

Seventeen

AC/DC

Back in Black

Thunderstruck

Dirty Deeds Done DIrt Cheap

It's a Long Way to the Top

Highway to Hell

Money Talks

Powderfinger

Lost and Running

All of the Dreamers

(Baby I've Got You) On My Mind

Burn Your Name

My Happiness

Sunsets

The Amity Affliction

Love is a Battlefield

I Hate Hartley

15 Pieces of Flair

Youngbloods

Anchors

Fruity Lexia

I love this pointless stuff. Making lists. Checking twice. Wasting people's valuable time with pointless additions ie. reasons, that they won't even read.

Metallica

1 - Enter Sandman

2 - Seek And Destroy

3 - For Whom The Bell Tolls

4 - One

5 - Master Of Puppets

6 - Dyers Eve

It begins with the classic 'Sandman', because you need to grab attention at once. It's worn out it's welcome with me, but hey - it has a job to do. Seek and Destroy comes next; it's a simple song; not going to scare a casual listener away, but cool enough that it can lead into the old stuff. Bellz has that heavy/melodic sound that serves as an intro to One. If you're not hooked by now you probably won't be. For those that stick around, Puppets kicks your ass before you get pulverized by Dyers Eve, the ultimate.

Megadeth

1 - Symphony of Destruction

2 - Peace Sells

3 - Holy Wars

4 - In My Darkest Hour

5 - Hangar 18

6 - Sweating Bullets

I don't want to do the old Metallica vs Megadeth bullshit, but like 'Tallica, Symphony serves to let the casual metalhead in. 'Deth always do Symphony/Peace/Holy as the final three, so it only made sense to start with them in order. Darkest Hour brings it to more of a melodic note after the fury of Holy Wars, before going back into the thrashy solo + solo + solo + solo of Hangar 18, before finally ending with Sweating Bullets which HAS to leave a good taste in your mouth. Even if it's just for the absurdity of the lyrics and the way Mustaine sings, you're going to want to hear it again. After that, you'll listen to another one again... and then you might be stuck.

Machine Head

1 - Imperium

2 - Halo

3 - Old

4 - Ten Ton Hammer

5 - Descend the Shades of Night

6 - Davidian

The first note of Imperium grabs you. It might not grab people immediately, but at least ze interest iz piqued. Straight after that it's the casual-friendly Halo, which was the song that got me listening. From there, I wouldn't want to scare 'em away with a heavy number, but they need to get used to it (I mean it's frickin' 6 songs) and so would throw in Old. Turn the knob up a bit with Hammer, before the more relaxed, though emotional Descend the Shades of night. And finally their usual set-ender, Davidian.

Mastodon

1 - Sleeping Giant

2 - The Wolf Is Loose

3 - Colony of Birchmen

4 - Mother Puncher

5 - Iron Tusk

6 - Blood and Thunder

As soon as I heard Sleeping Giant, it became one of my all-time favourites. With it, the band. Like Muse's 'Apocalypse Now', Giant works as a fantastic opening song. Unfortunately it has a disappointing end, which is why Wolf is Loose is there to pick the attention back up, with it's psycho drumming at the start (and it's not a bad song to boot.) Birchmen brings it back to the 'safe' category, before randomly throwing Mother Puncher in. If they're still listening after that one, they deserve to listen to the band. If not, screw 'em. Iron Tusk serves up a bit more of the roughness, before ending with Blood and Thunder, because it's easy to follow but doesn't have any less of the Mastodon flavour.

Pearl Jam

1 - Jeremy

2 - Evenflow

3 - Alive

4 - Black

5 - Better Man

6 - Do The Evolution

Look, I'm straight but I might let Eddie Vedder put it in me. If he sings Given to Fly before he does, I'd lie there and take it all. Anyway... erm, I don't want to get the ol' sausage so it's omitted from here. <_< After Jeremy, which they played live at... an MTV music award show I want to say, which you need to youtube, we bust out the PJ classic Evenflow, in case people don't know who this amazing band is. From there, I'd put in Alive (because people love it and it needs to be on this list) and Black (to make people depressed) before throwing Better Man in to crush them. Depending on how open you are to receiving music at the time, you either 'get' it, or you don't. For those still unsure, Do The Evolution it thrown in there because, like with Megadeth's 'Sweating Bullets', you'll at least be forced to listen to it again and it will hopefully lead to buying the entire discography.

Basement Jaxx

1. Good Luck

2. Where's Your Head At

3. My Turn

4. Hey U

5. Red Alert

Blur

1. Music Is My Radar

2. Tender

3. Strange News From Another Star

4. Good Song

5. Girls & Boys

Dizzee Rascal

1. I Luv U

2. Fix Up Look Sharp

3. Can't Tek No More

4. Pussyole

5. Holiday

MOAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!

Andrew Jackson Jihad

Who Are You?

- Bitchingly hard, decided to go for the more serious side of AJJ, because I feel that's when they're at their best. Still, having to miss out the likes of "personal space invader", "brave as a noun", "guilt: the song" and "nother beer" wasn't fun.

I'll do more later.

Bad Religion

A Walk

(the acoustic version of this is possibly even better)

Punk Rock Song (German version for Matzat)

I'd have put Mediocre Minds and A World Without Melody on it but I couldn't find them on YouTube. Easily my favourite band. I might do a NOFX one later.

• 2 weeks later...

Turisas

1. Battle Metal - their seminal anthem. Use it to get the listener straight into what Turisas is all about.

2. Holmgard and Beyond - or, Battle Metal II with bells and whistles. A bit slower and more mature than Battle Metal, but a similar kind of song.

3. In the Court of Jarisleif - a fun little folky effort; a fun song to drunken dance to.

4. Cursed Be Iron - One of their heaviest tracks, but also one of their most catchy.

5. Rasputin - the Boney M cover. Along with Battle Metal is their most well known song. Put it in the lighten the load before the big finale.

6. Miklagard Overture - one of the best epic folk metal songs I've ever heard, and one of my favourite songs too. A great mix of heavy and clean vocals, with rousing back instrumentation.

I'm going to go left-field, and select 2 artists who get a lot of stick and mockery due to their (admittedly poor) later output. However, the early stuff was brilliant, so you should check it out and ignore everything after about the mid-80s. <_<

ROD STEWART

1. True Blue

The title track to perhaps his most complete album, Never a Dull Moment. It's vintage Faces-era Stewart, and it gets us off to a great start.

2. That's All Right

One of the staples of Stewart's repetoire has been his covers of classic tracks, and although these days he tends to croon morosely through Paul Simon tracks, this is a bluesy riff on the song that made Elvis famous. Very fun.

3. Stone Cold Sober

Rod gets all autobiographical on us with a tale of unwanted sobriety. As with most of his earlier solo work, the instrumentation is simple and well-played, it doesn't interfere with what everybody knows is the attraction - Stewart's voice, which is at its best here. Catchy, great hook, all in all a great little song.

4. The First Cut Is The Deepest

Mournful and reflective now, with the mandolins making their obligatory 'Rod-does-sad-song' appearance. This time, he's covering Cat Stevens' seminal paean to lost love and 'getting over it,' and making a far better stab at it than Sheryl Crow managed some 20 years later.

5. Italian Girls

Back to the rock'n'roll, and back to Never A Dull Moment for this one. This is notable for the mandolin making an appearance on an upbeat, pacy rock number, whereas he usually kept that one for the slower tracks. It's also got fantastic piano driving things along, and Rod sounds like he's having the time of his life.

6. Street Fighting Man

A cover to finish off with, and a great reading of The Stones' coolest track. I really just like this one because it's far easier to imagine Rod, circa 1970, beating you up than Jagger with his camp strut. Yeah.

ERIC CLAPTON (no, not Cream, solo Clapton)

1. Slunky

What stands out about this track, the instrumental opening from his self-titled debut, is that the guitar is subordinate to the horn section for nearly half of the jam before it kicks in. Clapton has a well-deserved reputation as a virtuoso, but he's also a fine band leader and here he allows the rest of the ensemble to shine before taking centre stage for his debut work as a solo artist. Sets the stage perfectly.

2. Willie And The Hand Jive

A surprisingly sedate cover of Johnny Otis' 1958 hit, which Otis always played at 400mph. Clapton's version is slow, coy and more than a little sardonic, but it's real fun nonetheless and showcases the great band he had with him in the mid-70s.

3. Cocaine

One of his more recognised solo tracks, from the Slowhand album, this is a bluesy, distorted ode to the copious amounts of drugs that Clapton was taking at this point. Bizarrely, it's also something of a feel-good song, and once again he demonstrates his ability to drop the killer solo in without overpowering the rest of the track and making it all feel like framing for the virtuosity - take note, Stevie Vai.

4. Hound Dog

You may have guessed I have a soft spot for classic rock covers - Clapton howls and wails his way through Elvis' classic, taking huge liberties with the lyrics and thus reinventing the track for his own unique voice. By this point, he was really developing into the consummate bluesman.

5. The Shape You're In

From the Money And Cigarettes album, this is less blues and more hardcore rock'n'roll, with a riff reminiscent of George Thorogoood's 'Bad to the Bone' and some fantastic vocals from Clapton. The band he had around him at this point (1983) was probably his best, and they're on form for a great ensemble performance.

6. Layla

Paradoxically, we'll finish with the song that launched Clapton's solo career, during the short-lived Derek & The Dominoes experiment. From the opening salvo, it's electrifying, and it doesn't let up all the way to the end, even after the guitars fade out into the poignant piano at the end. The reason this is at the end? Because if the other 5 tracks haven't convinced you, this one will - Eric Clapton is the man.

Edited by ClaRK! Kent

Rod Stewart in the beginning was lovely, particularly with the Faces. He's still absolutely brilliant live, despite a fair part of his set being made up of his latter-day fluff. Young Turks is still brilliant though. >_>

Still, I can never forgive him for this -

An_Old_Raincoat_Won%27t_Ever_Let_You_Down.jpg

Oh and I can't stand Eric Clapton doing Cocaine but for some reason love the JJ Cale one.

Grungetime!

Soundgarden

1. Rusty Cage

2. 4th of July

3. Black Hole Sun

4. Outshined

5. Burden in my Hand

6. Superunknown

Pearl Jam

1. The Fixer

2. Even Flow

3. Nothing As It Seems

4. Better Man

5. Jeremy/Black (undecided)

6. Indifference

EDIT: aww shit, there's no room for Yellow Ledbetter.

Alice in Chains

1. Check My Brain

2. Nutshell

3. Rooster

4. No Excuses

5. Black Gives Way to Blue

6. Man in the Box

Nirvana

1. Smells Like Teen Spirit

2. Where Did You Sleep Last Night?

3. Breed

4. Heart-Shaped Box

5. Aneurysm

6. Come As You Are

Audioslave

1. Cochise

2. I Am The Highway

3. Be Yourself

4. Getaway Car

5. Revelations

6. Shadow on the Sun

Bush

1. Machine Head

2. Letting the Cables Sleep

3. Little Things

4. Solutions

5. Afterlife

6. Glycerine

Edited by TheModernWay

Rod Stewart in the beginning was lovely, particularly with the Faces. He's still absolutely brilliant live, despite a fair part of his set being made up of his latter-day fluff. Young Turks is still brilliant though. >_>

Still, I can never forgive him for this -

An_Old_Raincoat_Won%27t_Ever_Let_You_Down.jpg

Oh and I can't stand Eric Clapton doing Cocaine but for some reason love the JJ Cale one.

I don't think you can hold an artist's earlier work in a poor light because they later went on to produce some dross. If we did that, nobody would have had a good thing to say about Bob Dylan from 1977-2001. And countless other examples. Obviously, 'Raincoat' is diabolical, but let it go, man, you'll feel better. :P

And Clapton's version is the definitive one, especially the live version that's always kicking about on Youtube. The man's a giant.