Official Premier League 2010/11 thread

I think Liverpool should do a job of calming Carroll down and keep him grounded.

And by grounded, I mean he has to be back home by 9pm or he doesn't get his pocket money. Worked wonders for my sister :shifty:

• Admin
Chelsea new boy Fernando Torres said he left Liverpool because they were a club in transition and a long way from delivering the success he craves.

Torres, signed for a British record £50m on Monday, said: "Things had changed a lot in the last year.

"I think they have great ambition and they are doing the right things to get back, but it will take time. I didn't have that time."

Torres said he would not celebrate if he scores against Liverpool on Sunday.

Chelsea's deadline-day capture of Torres was the catalyst for a manic Monday of spending, in which Liverpool replaced the Spaniard with the £35m Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez for £22.7m.

Torres, a 2010 World Cup winner and 2008 European champion with Spain, spent three-and-a-half years at Liverpool after joining from Atletico Madrid for a fee of £20m, scoring 81 goals in 142 matches.

But the manner of his departure, which came three days after the Spaniard put in a transfer request, has angered some Liverpool fans, who are likely to make their feelings known at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

"I only have good things to say about Liverpool people," said Torres. "They made me feel really good there for three-and-a-half fantastic seasons.

"I understand they will be angry and will not understand my decision. Maybe in a few days or weeks I will explain all the reasons.

"When I was an Atletico Madrid fan growing up, I couldn't understand it when a big player left.

"I'm not asking them to understand me but I'm sure over time they will see what I did there.

"Football is like this. From one day to the other, people can love you or hate you."

Torres' commitment to the cause at Liverpool had been criticised this season but he said: "I never lost my ambition.

"Too many people are talking about that - that's just opinions. I was playing out of form for a month."

Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti said he had not decided whether to start Torres or keep him on the bench for the showdown against his former club.

Asked if he would celebrate a goal against the Reds, Torres said: "First I have to play, and then I have to score but I have big respect for Liverpool fans so I don't think I will."

Torres revealed that he made up his mind to leave Liverpool midway through the January transfer window and told the club he wanted to leave as soon as he knew of Chelsea's interest.

The Spaniard, whose fee was the fourth highest in football history, believes he can live up to his price tag.

"The ambition of this team is to win trophies every year," he said. "That is my ambition too.

"I have been in this situation before when I signed for Liverpool. Big money means big expectation. I'm more than ready for the challenge. I'm excited abut a new life and new era."

Former Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has revealed a £70m deal for Fernando Torres was mooted last year, and that he would like to manage the club again.

Striker Torres joined Chelsea on Monday for a British record fee of about £50m, but he had been valued even higher.

"I think last year we were talking about £70m," Benitez said in an interview for the BBC's Football Focus.

The 50-year-old Spaniard also said he would be keen to manage the Anfield club again at some stage in the future.

Torres moved to Chelsea on transfer deadline day, although the Blues had reportedly made a bid in May 2010. Despite a knee injury at the end of last season, he featured in Spain's World Cup-winning campaign.

"People were talking about maybe you receive an offer from another club. They were talking about £70m," added Benitez.

Of Torres' transfer deadline day move to Stamford Bridge, Benitez said: "He was not playing at the same level the last time, but he is still a very good player. It is big money but could [have been] even better."

Benitez was sacked by Italian side Inter Milan in December only six months after it was announced he had left Liverpool by mutual consent following six years in charge.

He guided the Reds to Champions League success in 2005 and an FA Cup win the following year, and was in charge when Torres signed from Atletico Madrid for £20m in the summer of 2007.

Roy Hodgson was appointed as successor after Benitez's departure from Anfield, but he only lasted six months before Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish was drafted in until the end of the season.

With Liverpool's form improving under the Scot, and the club's owners spending the Torres cash on strikers Andy Carroll (£35m) and Luis Suarez (£22m), Dalglish looks set for a longer stay.

But Benitez said: "To be manager of Liverpool is a dream for me. This time, I know that Kenny is doing really well.

"I have to wait and keep watching games, but if you say to me in the future would you like to be manager, for sure, no doubt about this. When, that is the question. I have to move forward, anyway."

Liverpool's principal owner John Henry has hinted he may choose to redevelop Anfield rather than build a new stadium in Stanley Park.

After buying the club in October, Henry said he would weigh up both options.

But the fervent atmosphere at Liverpool's current home appears to have swayed his thinking.

"The Kop is unrivalled," said Henry. "The atmosphere, I was really surprised because we've heard so much about needing a new stadium."

Liverpool have long been planning to build a 60,000-seater stadium at Stanley Park, adjacent to the 45,000-capacity Anfield, but work has yet to begin because of problems with funding under previous owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

Henry faced the same dilemma when he took over the Boston Red Sox in 2002, eventually opting to refurbish the baseball team's historic Fenway Park home.

Henry told Fox Soccer Channel: "We were surprised at how beautiful Anfield was both viewing it as an empty stadium and then with the first game.

"It would be hard to replicate that feeling anywhere else."

Henry was talking at the end of a busy week for Liverpool, in which striker Fernando Torres departed to Chelsea for £50m and was replaced at a combined cost of £57.7m by Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez, who scored on his debut against Stoke on Wednesday.

Henry explained why he sanctioned the sale of the Torres for a British record fee.

"One of things that we talked about from the very beginning was how important it was that everyone was on the same page. No player is bigger than the club," Henry said.

"We expect players to want to be here. If they don't want to be part of Liverpool Football Club then we should do everything we can to facilitate them going elsewhere."

The victory over Stoke was Liverpool's third in succession, boosting caretaker manager Kenny Dalglish's hopes of getting the job on a full-time basis.

Henry admitted the Scot had made an impressive start to his second reign at the club.

"It's still early but in retrospect you could not have made a better choice," said Henry.

"I know he, for a long time now, has wanted to be in this position, so it's a great thing for the club, for Kenny and for us."

John Williams has resigned as executive chairman at Blackburn.

• Admin

There's very little else to say! Here:

"There is a new order, a new way of doing things and I believe the time is right for me now to move on," Williams told the club's website.

"I would like to take this opportunity to wish the club, its owners, management, players, employees and supporters all the very best for the future."

There were doubts whether Williams would continue in the aftermath of Sam Allardyce being sacked as manager by the owners in December.

And, although he decided to stay in an executive chairman role he took up in 2005, Williams has now left citing "this is a new dawn for the club".

Managing director Tom Finn added: "All of us here at Ewood Park, our owners and I am sure all our fans, would like to take this opportunity to thank John for the contribution he has made during his tenure and we send him our best wishes for the future."

Today

Stoke v Sunderland, 12:45

Aston Villa v Fulham, 15:00

Everton v Blackpool, 15:00

Man City v West Brom, 15:00

Newcastle v Arsenal, 15:00

Tottenham v Bolton, 15:00

Wigan v Blackburn, 15:00

Wolverhampton v Man Utd, 17:30

Tomorrow

West Ham v Birmingham, 13:30

Chelsea v Liverpool, 16:00

Tricky game for Arsenal at Newcastle, but I'm thinking with Newcatle's lack of strikers, Arsenal will come out on top. But I am hopeful Newcastle pull out one of their awesome performances that we have seen a few times this season. Man City's game should be a banker for them, but how many times have we said that this season and they've gone and dropped points?

Tottenham vs Bolton looks a decent game on paper, a must win for Spurs though if they want to keep of the heels of Chelski for that fourth spot. I expect United to win at Wolves, we can't afford another away day draw, big game for us this especially with Man City coming to Old Trafford next week. Three points is a must.

As for tomorrow, a big relegation battle game at Upton Park. If I had to predict I'd say West Ham, just because I rate Obinna and he's on form, and Robbie Keane is gonna score goals wherever he plays (except Liverpool). As for Chelsea-Liverpool, I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy, and hope Liverpool and nick a win! :)

Top five -

Man Utd will draw away (cos that's what they do)

Newcastle will beat Arsenal (cos they win games they should lose and vice-versa)

Man City will demolish West Brom

Spurs will beat Bolton

Chelsea should beat Liverpool but might well draw

I'm hoping United can win comfortably today, because that's something we haven't done all season away from home. Plus I think 4 out of our next 5 games are away games, so we need get out of this habit of poor performances away if we wanna push on and win anything this season.