Rafa Benitez Leaves Liverpool

Hobo

I also love the idea that Rafa 'isn't good enough for Liverpool' (which I've actually heard from some Liverpool fans) and now is walking into the job at the winners of the Champions League and filling the boots of arguably the best manager in the game.

And that Independent article was a great read.

• Like 1

The official LFC twitter posted a while ago that Rafa has been confirmed as the new Inter boss.

Edit:

-TheBeeb

Former Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez

Benitez won the Champions League with Liverpool in 2005

Former Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has been confirmed as the new manager of Italian giants Inter Milan.

The Spaniard, 50, has signed a two-year contract to take charge at the reigning European and Serie A champions.

"Inter welcome Rafael Benitez," the club said in a statement, adding the new coach would be introduced at a news conference on Tuesday, 22 June.

Benitez left Liverpool last week after six years in charge, and replaces Jose Mourinho who has joined Real Madrid.

He won the two La Liga titles and a Uefa Cup with Valencia before moving to Anfield and winning the Champions League the following year in 2005. He also took Liverpool to the 2007 final.

But Benitez faces a tough task following the flamboyant Mourinho at the San Siro.

Under the Portuguese, Inter won the Italian league twice, as well as the Champions League and Italian Cup last season.

And even before Mourinho took charge, Inter had won three consecutive titles under Manchester City's current manager Roberto Mancini.

Towards the end of last season, when it looked likely that Benitez could be leaving Liverpool, he was strongly linked with Inter's rivals Juventus, before they appointed Luigi del Neri.

However Argentina midfielder Javier Mascherano, one of Benitez's former players at Liverpool, has previously backed the Spaniard to be successful in Serie A.

"Only Benitez could take the place of a coach like Mourinho," said Mascherano. "He is a great coach. He has charisma, personality, a winning mentality.

"Moreover, he will find himself brilliantly in Italy because of the tactical game. Rafa studies everything on the table and directs the team from the bench like an orchestra conductor.

"After Mourinho, he is the only man capable of continuing Inter's winning run."

It's sad that a lot of Liverpool fans didn't know what they had, including me for a good while, though I did cotton on a couple of seasons ago. I hope he goes on to win lots and lots at Inter and when we're struggling to qualify for Europe, people will realise he wasn't the problem.

Edited by Pesci

• 2 weeks later...
Former Liverpool star Peter Beardsley says Kenny Dalglish would help to keep Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres at Anfield if he was reappointed as boss.

"You'd have more chance of keeping the players if you had a hero like Kenny in charge," said Beardsley.

"I'm not saying he would be a massive success straight away because there are a lot of problems at Liverpool."

Anfield legend Dalglish was reported to be keen on the managerial post following the exit of Rafael Benitez.

After the Spaniard left the club by mutual consent on 3 June, managing director Christian Purslow and Dalglish, a Reds player for 10 years and manager between 1985 and 1991, have been searching for a new boss.

Fulham's Roy Hodgson and ex-Manchester City boss Mark Hughes, currently out of work, have been touted as potential candidates.

Former Anfield players BBC pundit Mark Lawrenson, keeper Bruce Grobbelaar and Jamie Redknapp have all recently backed a return at the helm for 59-year-old Dalglish, who is also the club's academy ambassador.

Beardsley, a Liverpool midfielder between 1987 and 1991, also thinks the Scot is the right man and would help to keep hold of top players such as midfielder Gerrard and striker Torres, whose futures remain uncertain following a trophyless season at Anfield.

"You look at Torres and he probably came to Liverpool on the strength of watching Dalglish as a player, and Gerrard grew up watching that team," added Beardsley.

"So I would think you'd have no problem keeping both of them if Kenny Dalglish was your manager.

"I played for four years under Kenny and won the league twice and the FA Cup. We were not able to play in Europe in those days, so what he did in my time at the club, and winning the double before I even arrived, was sensational.

Redknapp - Dalgish would be a success

"I can't speak for the people of Liverpool but I know the fans would love him and when I look at him, his football knowledge and his football mentality, he loves the game.

"What he means to Liverpool is sensational and I would have no qualms about giving him the job."

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill, ex-Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink and Croatia coach Slaven Bilic have also been mentioned as successors to Benitez, recently appointed at Inter Milan.

Benitez told the Guardian on Tuesday he felt that Dalglish was "the best man for the job".

"The owners should listen to the fans because they are unhappy. No one knows the club better than Dalglish and he would be perfect there. He wants the job and in my opinion should get it," he said.

606: DEBATE

Polls have suggested 90% agree with Dalglish - it's the biggest no brainer decision for the club

lfcknowitall10

I can agree with the fact that if 90% of people in that "poll" must have no brains if they think Kenny Daglish would be a good choice. Infact while we're at it hit up Tampa Bay Rowdies and get Paul Daglish to come in as well! :bang:

Juande Ramos hasn't got a job you know. :shifty:

Liverpool FC's former manager Rafael Benitez has donated an undisclosed amount to the Rhys Jones Memorial Fund.

His cash injection will help build the new community centre in memory of the 11-year-old who was shot dead in Croxteth in 2007.

The new Inter Milan boss arranged for a cheque to be delivered to the Jones family on Thursday.

Mr Benitez said: "In all my time at Liverpool this is one of the stories that affected me most."

Rhys Jones was gunned down while walking home from football training through the Croxteth Park Estate.

His killer Sean Mercer was convicted two years later after a lengthy police investigation and scores of arrests of gang members across Liverpool.

Mr Benitez added: "I am doing this on behalf of the people that cannot. I know that every person on Merseyside would have loved to give the fund a donation but they are in hard times and can't find the extra cash.

'So dignified'

"To think that this lovely little boy was taken from his family in such awful circumstances is heart-breaking.

"I still remember his mother, father and brother Melanie, Stephen and Owen coming to the match not long after Rhys died and how they were so dignified, it is something I will remember for a long time.

"I hope this money goes towards making this community centre happen for all of those people who are working so hard for it."

The £1.5m development is just yards from where Rhys honed his football skills and will include a purpose-built sports facility when it is finished.

Rhys Jones The 11-year-old was shot as he walked home from football practice

Melanie Jones, Rhys' mother, said: "I'm lost for words really. This is so kind of Rafa and his family and we are once again overwhelmed by the generosity.

"He didn't have to do this and we have let him know just what a difference it will make to this project.

"Something good will come out of our tragedy if we manage to keep Rhys' story in the hearts and minds of everyone."

Rhys' father Stephen added: "It's an amazing gesture, and as Melanie says the football clubs together with the players and managers have been a great help ever since we lost Rhys.

"We will put the money to great use and continue to try and sing the praises of sport over joining gangs or getting involved in crime. It's really given the family an amazing boost this."

Mr Benitez made a £96,000 donation to the Hillsborough Family Support Group only a few weeks ago and has also donated money to the Lily Centre - a Liverpool based charity that offers support to women with breast cancer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/10409916.stm

Looking increasingly likely that the new manager will be Roy Hodgson. Jesus christ.

The cynic probably suggests that he's doing these profilic things to dig the knife into the board for making it out to the fans that Benitez had to go in order for the club to progress.

But seriously, Benitez doing these charitable donations when he didn't really have to is just wonderful. From what he's doing, you'd be a right idiot to live in Liverpool and still hate Benitez <_<