Rafa Benitez Leaves Liverpool

Hobo

I know we've been discussing it in the transfers thread but it probably warrants its own thread.

Rafael Benitez

Benitez has paid the price for a disappointing 2009-2010 season

Liverpool have announced manager Rafael Benitez has left the club by mutual consent after six years in charge.

Benitez, 50, replaced Gerard Houllier as Liverpool manager in June 2004 and guided them to Champions League and FA Cup success the following two seasons.

But last season they made an early exit from the Champions League and only finished seventh in the Premier League.

Managing director Christian Purslow and former manager Kenny Dalglish are to begin the search for a replacement.

The club said there is no timeframe for an appointment and they will make no further comment until a new manager has been installed.

Benitez, who was one year into a five-year contract, finalised his departure after agreeing a severance payment and said he was "extremely sad" to be leaving the club.

"I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool," he told the club's website.

"I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

BENITEZ'S ANFIELD CAREER

June 2004: Appointed Liverpool manager

May 2005: Liverpool beat Milan on penalties to win Champions League final

May 2006: Liverpool beat West Ham on penalties to win FA Cup

Feb 2007: Tom Hicks and George Gillett buy Liverpool

May 2007: Liverpool beaten 2-1 by Milan in Champions League final

July 2007: Fernando Torres joins Liverpool for club record fee of £20m

May 2009: Liverpool finish runners-up to Manchester United in the Premier League

December 2009: Liverpool fail to get past the Champions League group stage

January 2010: Liverpool beaten at home in the FA Cup third round by Reading

May 2010: Liverpool finish seventh in the Premier League, their worst league finish since 1999

3 June 2010: Rafael Benitez leaves Liverpool by mutual consent

Recently-appointed club chairman Martin Broughton thanked Benitez for his efforts, but said it was time for a new era.

"Rafa will forever be part of Liverpool folklore after bringing home the Champions League following the epic final in Istanbul but after a disappointing season both parties felt a fresh start would be best for all concerned," he said.

Former Valencia coach Benitez had been linked with Real Madrid and Juventus in recent months, but with both those clubs now having new men in charge, he could be in the running to fill the vacant position at European champions Inter Milan following the departure of Jose Mourinho.

One thing that could delay the appointment of a permanent successor to Benitez at Anfield is the uncertainty over the club's future ownership.

Liverpool are £351m in debt and were put up for sale by co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett earlier this year.

The American pair's ownership of the Reds has been a long-running source of discontent for many fans, who are unhappy with the way the club is being run, and there have been regular protests and public disputes.

Benitez had a fractious relationship with the pair, who admitted sounding out former Germany coach Jurgen Klinsmann about the possibility of taking over from Benitez at the end of 2007, when they feared he could leave the club.

BBC Sport understands that Dalglish is unlikely to play a role in the future management of the club, and the Reds are happy for Benitez's assistant Sammy Lee to take the reins until after the World Cup if necessary, and BBC Sports news correspondent Dan Roan says whoever gets the job is only likely to have a summer transfer budget of £10-15m.

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson and Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill have been mentioned as potential targets to take over in the long term, as has former Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink, although he recently signed a contract to become coach of the Turkish national side.

I honestly can't see who Liverpool will get but I'd be surprised if it was an English manager.

Amazingly some bookies are offering odds of 8/1 of Avram Grant being the next manager, despite the fact he's the new manager at West Ham. These people baffle me sometimes.

Slightly surprised he's gone. I'm really interested to see who they actually bring in and how long it takes. Any thoughts on the possibility of Lippi? (Very doubtful of course, actually, hugely doubtful)

I thought Lippi was verging on retirement by now.

I'm glad that Purslow & Dalglish are the ones tasked with getting a new manager, as they're expected to still be with the club long term. It would be nice if Hicks & Gillett left sooner rather than later to ensure a proper fresh start for Liverpool, because god do they need it.

I thought Lippi was verging on retirement by now.

I'm glad that Purslow & Dalglish are the ones tasked with getting a new manager, as they're expected to still be with the club long term. It would be nice if Hicks & Gillett left sooner rather than later to ensure a proper fresh start for Liverpool, because god do they need it.

Purslow will be gone when Hicks and Gillett leave, he was only brought in to find investment.

Sadly, it's becoming increasingly apparent that Kenny is cosying up to Purslow, who has spent the last 8 months or so briefing the press against Benitez.

I'm adamant that it'll be Pellegrini.

A yes man with Spanish connections who led Villareal to a reasonable finish and Real Madrid to second against the best team in Spain.

A man who will be wanting to salvage his reputation after being sacked for coming second to the best team in Spain.

I mean, considering that he's worked under Perez the Liverpool job will be a doddle.

He'll likely go to Inter now and do extremely well. All luck to him, had his hands tied practically his entire reign and we've certainly got no hope of getting anybody better. Next few seasons will be awful for us.

• Admin

So Rafa leaving, is now a fact (:shifty:). Not sure who they're thinking about getting in though, apart from Klinsman who was linked a couple of years back, there is no obvious candidate.

Is Sammy Lee staying on then? Wouldn't be suprised to see him take charge until at least after the World Cup is over.

• Like 1

What's with the calls for Italian managers lately? Just because Capello has done a decent job so far and whatshisname with Chelsea (they have a great squad anyway, not THAT special to win the title with them). I'd like to see an English manager at Liverpool, or at least someone who can SPEAK English from the get-go, not someone who needs a translator for 2 years.

Rijkaard would be cool.

Edited by The Quasi Juice
  • Like 2

For some reason on FM games Rafa always got replaced by Paul Jewell. I hope this does not turn out to be the case. :shifty:

• Like 2