2010 College Football Thread

Notre Dame? Missouri?

I think we're looking at three 16-team superconferences, and then a couple more majors.

Big 10 now adding Nebraska gives them 12. Notre Dame probably will have to jump here, like it or not - especially if they take on more.

Pac 10 might already have their six new teams to give 16. Not sure if Colorado would stay here though, or if a Texas/Oklahoma school bails out for the SEC.

SEC and MWC can probably take the scraps of what's not taken by the two above.

I can see the Big East and ACC merging, whatever's left after the Big 10 and SEC does its poaching.

So you have the Pac 16, Big 16, SEC, MWC, and ACC/Big East as the five major conferences.

HttK, A&M can't go anywhere without Texas, so if the Longhorns don't want to go to the SEC, the Aggies are fucked. UT holds all the power in that relationship.

The six teams that the Pac 10 want are Texas, TAMU, Tech, OU, OKST, and Colorado. Baylor alums in the Texas legislature are pushing for Texas to force the Pac 10 to take Baylor, but the Pac 10 schools, particularly Cal, don't want a religiously affiliated school in the Pac 10.

EDIT: fuck my phone... SEC not second.

Edited by DMN

Baylor alums in the Texas legislature are pushing for Texas to force the Pac 10 to take Baylor, but the Pac 10 schools, particularly Cal, don't want a religiously affiliated school in the Pac 10.

Baylor would probably be decent with the SEC or the MWC. The MWC for example probably won't be a mid-major player in football for long, and they already have several religious schools in there (BYU, TCU, Air Force)

Edited by Lowerdeck

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said Sunday that expansion could happen in phases. Nebraska is certainly Phase 1, but others could follow in the coming weeks and months.

So clearly

Phase 1: Nebraska

Phase 2: ???

Phase 3: Big Profit

They're still trying for Notre Dame and there are a lot of reports that have Rutgers being in the mix too.

I don't know if I'd consider Air Force a 'religious school', they're a military academy, I don't think religion is anymore important there than it is in the military in general.

Colorado is a much better fit than Baylor anyway. Every team in the Pac 10 is either a large state school, or a large private school. Baylor is neither, and if it wasn't for the woeful state of Wazzu football, would be the doormat of the league.

Predictions?

Big 10: Current 11 plus: Nebraska, Notre Dame, Mizzou, Rutgers, Pitt

Pac 10: Current 10 plus: Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Colorado

SEC: Current 12 plus: Florida St., Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson

MWC: Current 9 plus: Boise St., Kansas, Kansas St., Iowa St., Baylor

ACC/Big East: BC, Duke, Maryland, North Carolina, NC State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Cincy, UConn, Georgetown, Louisville, South Florida, Syracuse, Villanova, West Virginia

I don't know if I'd consider Air Force a 'religious school', they're a military academy, I don't think religion is anymore important there than it is in the military in general.

I've heard some things about the Air Force Academy.

It is pretty much a religious school, just for obvious reasons not officially.

HttK, A&M can't go anywhere without Texas, so if the Longhorns don't want to go to the SEC, the Aggies are fucked. UT holds all the power in that relationship.

That statement is only half true. Texas holds the most power of any of the individual schools in this, yes.

However, don't think for a second that A&M can't go anywhere without them. If Texas really and truly doesn't want the SEC, A&M still fits very, very well. They've already got natural rivals in Arkansas and LSU (there's also decent history with Miss St and Tennessee). With a possible raid of some ACC schools, A&M gives the SEC a Western balance and a full on Texas presence. The baseball program, on the rise basketball program, and the entire women's program all fit very well and even improve/strengthen some areas of the SEC.

Everyone ties them together because they are 'the' rivals in Texas. It only makes sense for them to stick together. However, Texas and A&M view things very differently.

It also isn't that A&M necessarily want's the SEC, but that the SEC still want's A&M with or without Texas. Believe it or not, but A&M is a big draw on their own.

Honestly, I think that the Big10 will really pursue Rutgers. That gives them the NY market basically. They also fit better than all the schools (minus ND). Notre Dame better be really careful in all of this. They can get left out in the cold and holding their own dicks if they don't watch it. If we get four new super conferences and then another conference that's got just enough to not be ignored, ND has zero bargaining power. Nobody will give a shit about their TV, and nobody will give a shit about them. ND's high and mighty stance is very likely to fuck them, and hard. With an expanded Big10 and a pilfered barren Big East, ND is left out to dry in a bad way.

Rumor out of WNFI in Indianapolis is that along with Nebraska, that Notre Dame, Syracuse, Rutgers and Maryland are heading to the Big Ten.

As a former Maryland fan this stuns me that they would part with the Carolina schools. I also expect their football program to get crushed when it comes to conference games in the future.

Edited by LNK

Eh, they'll probably revert to the runner-up but it's kind of one of those things that doesn't really matter.

Orangebloods.com is reporting that Texas and A&M have already set up talks to discuss their future.

Also, USC is about to get smacked. Probable 2yr ban and loss of wins/national title from '04. And Pete Carroll laughs all the way from Seattle.

EDIT - as for Masolli at Oregan. Not that huge of a deal really as he was already suspended for this upcoming season.

Edited by HailtotheKing

Masoli is dumb, point blank

As far as expansion goes, The Big Ten I think won't go over 14. The more Notre Dame waits, the more money they end up losing to revenue sharing if and when they finally join the conference. Instead of spliting it with the current 11 members if they would have got off their high horse and joined, they are now looking at spliting it with 13 or 15 teams. Plus, Maryland or any other second or third tier BCS school wont get an invite to the Big Ten if Mizzou still gets an invite, and Rutugers won't get one either as adding the NYC market would be pointless without Notre Dame in the conference (which is the school a lot of people in the area actually cares about).

Sooner or later the NCAA is going to have to start punishing the AD, school President and the school too right? I mean it makes no sense that present day recruits get punished for stuff that happened 6 years ago.

and Rutugers won't get one either as adding the NYC market would be pointless without Notre Dame in the conference (which is the school a lot of people in the area actually cares about).

Yes ND has a big following but I hope you are not implying that Rutgers doesn't have following. ESPN has been getting great ratings for Rutgers games.

Sooner or later the NCAA is going to have to start punishing the AD, school President and the school too right? I mean it makes no sense that present day recruits get punished for stuff that happened 6 years ago.

Nope

The only reason this ruling is coming down now and not 4-5 years ago is the NCAAs fault and no one elses. Yeah the school fucked up, but the NCAA could have wrapped this up a long time ago.

Lane Kiffin walking into a shitstorm at USC somehow seems appropriate considering the way he left Tennessee.

Bill Self is on ESPN's Outside The Lines and seems PISSED that Kansas basketball has no clout in the big picture of college sports. It is kind of telling that almost all of the national powerhouse basketball teams are at schools where the football team is an afterthought, and that a school like Boise State is potentially more valuable going forward than a Duke, UNC, Kansas or Kentucky.

Lane Kiffin walking into a shitstorm at USC somehow seems appropriate considering the way he left Tennessee.

Bill Self is on ESPN's Outside The Lines and seems PISSED that Kansas basketball has no clout in the big picture of college sports. It is kind of telling that almost all of the national powerhouse basketball teams are at schools where the football team is an afterthought, and that a school like Boise State is potentially more valuable going forward than a Duke, UNC, Kansas or Kentucky.

A scenario tossed around earlier today on ESPN had Kansas in the Big East. Now how great would that be for Big East basketball?